Remember the "tilting the room/field" concept?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Remember before the draft last year when John Schneider talked about drafting a QB that had a presence, such a presence that he would "tilt the field" or "tile the room"?

Over the last several days, I've re-watched the last 7 games of the season (Bears, Cards, Bills, 49ers, Rams, Redskins, Falcons) - fast forwarding to watch the offensive snaps closely. I suddenly remembered that specific phrasing as I was watching the action...and it's a perfect way to describe Russell Wilson. Man, this dude can PLAY. His ability to process information, his poise, his smarts, his escapability... those are all things you can't teach.

It's nice to be able to go back and watch game action without being caught up in the heat of the moment as the game unfolds. Wilson was remarkable down the stretch, and he's only going to get better. His ability to read a defense is outstanding - there are so many examples to use, but the play I just re-watched again was the 2nd TD pass to Baldwin in the 49ers game - he knew he had the coverage mismatch and then he did what great QBs do - convert the opportunity into the play - throwing that awesome pass out in front of Doug where only he could catch it.

I have to think they are going to really open up the offense for him next season, not to totally get away from the run - but we have the ability to attack teams from the first snap. Our offense has the opportunity to be incredibly diverse. I have to think adding a real game-breaker threat at WR or TE would push the O towards top-5 in the league. And I can't imagine what we could become with improved pass blocking (man it was ugly at times).

Russell Wilson (this won''t come as a surprise to anyone in here) TILTS THE FIELD. And after watching the avalanche of media he has done the last few weeks, it's also clear he TILTS THE ROOM. People gravitate towards him and genuinely like him, and he commands attention.

Ussell wilson 2 seahawks 4 3 r536 c534 zpsc8919f67

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Well, going into the draft last year... it was fairly obvious that the Hawks wouldn't be in a position to get either Luck or Griffen. That said, I liked Wilson just as much as those guys. I really thought he would be gone by the end of the 2nd round. As the 3rd round began, even though I really liked that we signed Flynn, I was hoping that he would still be available when the Hawks pick was up (but, didn't expect them to select Wilson figuring they never really seem to pick guys that I think might be worth any risk- and there may be more of a "need" since the Hawks already signed the guy who was supposed to get his chance.) I watched those Jon Gruden QB camp episodes and was most impressed with Wilson out of the bunch and had a feeling Gruden felt the same. The analysts were bringing up Wilson during that 3rd round and I was just waiting for some team to pick him up as their backup. Really thought Green Bay was going to select him at 62. I honestly didn't expect to hear his name called with Seattle's selection at 75, but I was ECSTATIC when they did. Some may have thought it was a "luxury" pick or a wasted pick at that point when the Hawks had just picked up Flynn... but, that was the first time I felt like the QB position had been solidified for years with at least 2 very good players to compete (though I expected Flynn would likely win the job being the veteran and that it was unlikely a 3rd rd rookie QB would start.) I did sense, though, from what Gruden was saying "If you give him a chance, he'll win the job" sort of talk that Wilson just might come in to impress and try to take the job. When he made his impression from day one and hearing Pete say that it would be an open competition and Russell would be in the mix... I remembered what Gruden said and knew us Hawk fans had great reason for exciting things ahead. I really like Gruden so he sold me, I guess. (side note: I will not ruin the purity this topic deserves by mentioning the name of the player I feel similar about going into this draft.)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
GREAT picture of Wilson you posted, by the way. Excellent original post and that picture was a perfect compliment to what was said.

I know you're a veteran poster around here as I read this board for years before ever signing up to post. I intended to never start posting because I didn't want to get sucked in and have it take up time I need to spend on other important things. But, I finally decided that it's OK that I'm as passionate as I am about the Hawks - have been for their entire existence - and since I've essentially got no Hawks friends to talk shop with where I live. I occasionally run into a fan here and there... but, otherwise my friends are either fans of despised teams or they are so steeped in east coast bias and mockery of the Hawks that they can never give the Hawks any credit. Some of them still don't even after this season. Anyway, so... I finally succumbed and somewhat quietly started posting before this last season (without a first original post... but, just tried to contribute to some good discussion) and have tried to limit what I say (which is tough, because I'm sure I'm as opinionated as the next guy.) Part of that is, again, to try to limit time spent and keep my passion from being a full-blown obsession. At times, it's like that. Game days, the draft, etc. ... and OF COURSE it is as well as it should be!

The Radish

Reaction score
Any poster that thinks Greg is knowledgable about the game and especially the Seahawks needs to post more so we can straighten them out.

:D :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The Radish":3gvxk1ht said:
Any poster that thinks Greg is knowledgable about the game and especially the Seahawks needs to post more so we can straighten them out.

Les - don't expose me! :snack:

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
The Radish":3pc5fx6u said:

A jen you whine LOL.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
As Flynn guy when last year started I graduated first into the thought that RW could indeed be a good game manager. I think that was because of the plays he was making while being held back by PC. But then as RW grew and the offense was opened more for him to display his skill set I started to see the true potential of what he could accomplish. I am now of the mind that this team is equally balanced and is just as good passing the ball as running it. RW is a play maker because he is so football smart. He is not one of these QBs' that's good at one or two things, he's good at it all. I just don't see any downside in any of his game.

Ruminator

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1sa1v7s6 said:
...we have the ability to attack teams from the first snap. Our offense has the opportunity to be incredibly diverse.

This is one of the things I look forward to most this fall.

While there isn't much they can't do on offense, I also look forward to continued improvement in certain areas -- especially pass protection.

Russell Wilson has exceptional downfield vision, and his potential for the years ahead just boggles my mind.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Agreed with all of the above. The only blemish to Russ's game I can see is his tendancy to throw a bit too high on some of his passes. He has already mentioned that he has to work on his footwork in the coming off-season so I'm sure this will be addressed. We are LUCKY to have him.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1nkv3zda said:
Agreed with all of the above. The only blemish to Russ's game I can see is his tendancy to throw a bit too high on some of his passes. He has already mentioned that he has to work on his footwork in the coming off-season so I'm sure this will be addressed. We are LUCKY to have him.

I thought about this rare tendency and I disagree with several of the "experts" in that they say it's because of his height that he throws the ball high at times. I think it's more due to being anxious to complete the pass with pressure coming down on him. If you notice those throws became further and further apart as the season
progressed. As the offense was opened up the plays were new to him and making these plays in real games was probably a little daunting. The adrenalin took over. I expect these over throws to diminish even further next season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2b6pspxr said:
Remember before the draft last year when John Schneider talked about drafting a QB that had a presence, such a presence that he would "tilt the field" or "tile the room"?

Over the last several days, I've re-watched the last 7 games of the season (Bears, Cards, Bills, 49ers, Rams, Redskins, Falcons) - fast forwarding to watch the offensive snaps closely. I suddenly remembered that specific phrasing as I was watching the action...and it's a perfect way to describe Russell Wilson. Man, this dude can PLAY. His ability to process information, his poise, his smarts, his escapability... those are all things you can't teach.

It's nice to be able to go back and watch game action without being caught up in the heat of the moment as the game unfolds. Wilson was remarkable down the stretch, and he's only going to get better. His ability to read a defense is outstanding - there are so many examples to use, but the play I just re-watched again was the 2nd TD pass to Baldwin in the 49ers game - he knew he had the coverage mismatch and then he did what great QBs do - convert the opportunity into the play - throwing that awesome pass out in front of Doug where only he could catch it.

I have to think they are going to really open up the offense for him next season, not to totally get away from the run - but we have the ability to attack teams from the first snap. Our offense has the opportunity to be incredibly diverse. I have to think adding a real game-breaker threat at WR or TE would push the O towards top-5 in the league. And I can't imagine what we could become with improved pass blocking (man it was ugly at times).

Russell Wilson (this won''t come as a surprise to anyone in here) TILTS THE FIELD. And after watching the avalanche of media he has done the last few weeks, it's also clear he TILTS THE ROOM. People gravitate towards him and genuinely like him, and he commands attention.

Ussell wilson 2 seahawks 4 3 r536 c534 zpsc8919f67
I agree with this RW picture being super awsome, it's like he's saying "That's Another One For You Dad"
And you can bet yer butt that the Seahawks are going to build the Offense around this rising star.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3dub1gu8 said:
You are in the right place for great Seahawks talk!
There certainly is a LOT of talk here, which is why I tend to gravitate to this online community. There is quality discussion elsewhere, too. Just seems easiest to find Seahawks news here. I'm a fans of the Seahawks. So, if there is quality news about the team... I'm grateful to find it whether it's posted here (yet) or not. As I've found for years... this is a good place to check for anything significant (or, as a sounding board for what is being speculated elsewhere.) Sometimes even the conjecture can be hold ones attention as well.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":32re2kek said:
The Radish":32re2kek said:

Les - don't expose me! :snack:
Did I say knowledgeable? Thought I said veteran. ;) Are you not both geniuses?! I trust you just like to hold back sometimes so others like me might not feel so inadequate.
Kidding aside... armchair experts are just that (me included.) But being a true and informed Seahawks fan puts one in the NFL fan level equivalency of Mensa in my book. I can appreciate passionate Seahawks fans whether they are supposedly knowledgeable or not (though one can only take so much speculation and need to satisfy the craving for more the more legitimate.) There's enough of a track record of what people say in here and I have a decent idea of who tends to say what. I really appreciate those in here that help fellow Hawk fans learn more about the game whether it be help understanding on-field terminology, understanding the salary cap in free agency, etc. ... without throwing in unnecessary insulting jabs to others. (I realize sometimes those jabs are among friends being chummy.) The positive thing about a community is how individual contributions can make it collectively greater. I appreciate the regular contributions of you both and many others. Makes rooting for the Hawks a little more enjoyable and allows me a place of refuge.