RGIII is (Officially) Offensive Rookie of the Year

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Just saw on NFL Network.

I'm OK with it.
    Last edited by Hawkstorian on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    * NET Staff *

• As expected.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• perfectly fine with it, Wilson and him both deserved it. I dunno what the other guy was doing!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• He had a tremendous year. Can't really argue with him winning. You also couldn't argue with Wilson winning either.
    HawkFanNC
    NET Rookie

• ECB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• I would at least like to see how close the voting was.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Out of the three, who will get the first lambardi??? My money is on Wilson.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• What is the point of the 9pm ET awards show if the awards are announced before that??

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• I think they were worried Wilson was going to trash the joint.
    * NET Staff *

• Lame.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:http://bigstory.ap.org/article/griffin-beats-out-luck-wilson

RG3 got 29 votes

Luck was second with 11

Wilson got 10

Wilson got third. Thats boo sh*t

And this is why I wanted to see the votes before I passed judgement. F*ck this sh*t.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• The week 16 deadline really played to RG3's favor. I am fairly sure that Wilson wins if there is a revote today. I am also relieved that there are fewer morons (aka Luck voters) in the AP than I had thought.

It's really too bad that Pete didn't open the offense up for Wilson sooner, and also a shame that RG3 got hurt. It was still a ROY race for the ages, but it could have been even better.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• This was decided the day he was drafted. I don't know why anyone expected anything else.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• MrCarey wrote:I don't know why anyone expected anything else.

I didn't think Wilson was gonna win, but I at least hoped it would be closer in the voting than it was.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• CaptainSkybeard wrote:Out of the three, who will get the first lambardi??? My money is on Wilson.

True. On the plus side, RGIII will be inducted into the hall of fame sooner thanks to how much shorter his career will be.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• That's garbage, RG3 won 8 games, Andrew luck won 11 and Russell Wilson won 12, rg3 wasn't even the best rookie on his team, he's the most overrated player in the league
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• kearly wrote:The week 16 deadline really played to RG3's favor. I am also relieved that there are fewer morons (aka Luck voters) than I had thought.

I think you should change that to rg3 voters, luck is by far better than griffin and had a better season, Wilson should have won with luck a close second and rg3 not getting any votes, I would have voted for Alfred Morris over him
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Lame.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• I'm OK with Griffin winning it, although that's obviously not where my vote would have gone.

After this season long debate, it Luck not winning it almost feels like a Russell victory.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• its b.s. and obvious east coast bias that we couldn't even get ONE of the awards out of offensive/defensive rookie, coach, exec..and I'm not one to usually complain about east coast bias, it is what it is, but 0 recognition by voters for the young talent, drafting and decision making by this team is a complete joke.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I am OK with Griffin winning it. He had a fantastic year and was better statistically in many categories than Wilson.

Although I think Wilson deserved it, I can't complain about Griffin winning.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Makes sense. RGIII, Luck and Wilson all had pretty good seasons. RGIII playing in a division that many still thinks is the NFC's best and has the most media coverage helps him get the big bump. Also if you followed other media across the country, the conversation for the longest was Luck vs RGIII.

No one needs to drop their head in shame, it was a good season but RGIII pulled the Skins back into revelancy and entertainment value with his play. Wilson was handcuffed or brought along slowly and that kept his momentum from gaining any steam until late in the season. The voters would want to see a season long consistent level and RGIII had that for the national audience.

Wilson has been all over the map, whether a concerted effort or not, he has gotten some serious face time at the Pro-Bowl and New Orleans. He doesn't get that at the Pro-Bowl unless RGIII and Ryan drop out.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• i think by the time people voted nobody thought the nfc east was the best with the giants falling apart, the cowboys being the cowboys, and the redskins eeking out wins over teams like the browns.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I personally think RW should have won, but I am biased. Based upon what we have seen from RW, this will be just another motivator for him. So it's a good thing.
    Every week is a championship week, every day is a championship day.
    hawkpride
    NET Practice Squad

• Enjoy the award RG3. Wilson will enjoy playoff wins for years to come.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• Hawknballs wrote:i think by the time people voted nobody thought the nfc east was the best with the giants falling apart, the cowboys being the cowboys, and the redskins eeking out wins over teams like the browns.

Sure, but ask the NFC East covering media if it isn't the best division. Not saying it is true. Just that is what those covering that division feel. The NFC East has not been dominating in a few years with the Eagles, Skins and Cowboys being inconsistent. NY Giants have been inconsistent as well, but had put together several late season runs to win two Superbowls. You cannot take that away from the Giants.
    Last edited by drdiags on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I dunno why i'm so annoyed with this.

maybe it's just from all of the 'so close yet so far away' moments for wilson this year.

So close to the rookie TD record, but did the right thing and ran that last TD in.

So close to beating the falcons but the defense fell apart

should have been MVP of the pro bowl.

Should have been OROY.

It's really frustrating.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I demand a recount! How many of those RG3 votes were actually idiots too lazy to write russell wilson and went with RW3 instead and the votes were confused?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:I demand a recount! How many of those RG3 votes were actually idiots too lazy to write russell wilson and went with RW3 instead and the votes were confused?

Are you "RW3" people happy now?!

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• As I posted in an earlier thread on this topic while the "race" for ROTY is still "competitive", I noted that the only way Russell was going to win was for him the "win out" the last seven games. Win the Division Championship and then at least play a great game in the Super Bowl.

Of course, I've heard that the vote was tabulated just after the last Regular Season game, so I guess that it is a moot point.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Hawknballs wrote:its b.s. and obvious east coast bias that we couldn't even get ONE of the awards out of offensive/defensive rookie, coach, exec..and I'm not one to usually complain about east coast bias, it is what it is, but 0 recognition by voters for the young talent, drafting and decision making by this team is a complete joke.

You mean INcomplete joke don't you?, as in I may be slow at catching drift of a joke now and then, this one doesn't even pretend to have a punch line.
    I just want (chips on the shoulders) "CHIP WILSON" and the NEW SEAHAWKS to blow up those NFL pretenders next Season.
    RGIII would make a fine backup to Wilson, as he'd have plenty of time to heal up riding the pine pony, and too, he'd MAYBE learn how to prepare for a game and how NOT to run himself into harms way, and also how to live to fight another day, and too, NOT cost his team by making foolish decisions while under fire,,,,But then again, I don't know that he could absorb the cool composure from zen master QB Russell Wilson.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Frustrating is a under statement. RW came in 3rd is total BS. This next season can't come soon enough.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• This was almost a landslide. 29 votes against 21 combined for the second and the third?
    This is utter nonsense. This is simply pathetic. I don't mind other guys winning, but NOT by this margin. No, not by this difference.
    This should motivate Wilson even more (hopefully). Now, let's get that Lombardi next season ...
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• JSeahawks wrote:I demand a recount! How many of those RG3 votes were actually idiots too lazy to write russell wilson and went with RW3 instead and the votes were confused?

U never know. This could happen but they'd never recount and us complaining about is only gonna make us look bad. We just gotta take this in and use it to motivate next year. GO HAWKS!!!
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• I am ok just didnt want John Clayton and his blinkered band wagon for Luck to win.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:Makes sense. RGIII, Luck and Wilson all had pretty good seasons. RGIII playing in a division that many still thinks is the NFC's best and has the most media coverage helps him get the big bump. Also if you followed other media across the country, the conversation for the longest was Luck vs RGIII.

No one needs to drop their head in shame, it was a good season but RGIII pulled the Skins back into revelancy and entertainment value with his play. Wilson was handcuffed or brought along slowly and that kept his momentum from gaining any steam until late in the season. The voters would want to see a season long consistent level and RGIII had that for the national audience.

Wilson has been all over the map, whether a concerted effort or not, he has gotten some serious face time at the Pro-Bowl and New Orleans. He doesn't get that at the Pro-Bowl unless RGIII and Ryan drop out.

Ah well, the deck was stacked against Wilson. The Redkins' system and players kept RG3 in nifty, short yardage situations which allowed him to have an artificially high passer rating, but that stat just gave the East Coast mediots something else to pull from their pocket. He did the rest with his feet.
    The consolation prize is that Wilson finished healthy, won a game in the post season, took the Vizio TVP, picked up a grunch of enorsements and his media darling status will help to expand the market for the Hawks. Those are some noteworty accomplishments for a 3rd round pick.

Had RW been given more plays earlier in the season (IE read option), I'm conident his efficiency rating would have been as good or greater than RG3. He broke an NCAA record for efficiency as exhibit A. RG3 probably would have won anyhow because of the media bias and the wow factor you mentioned. The only things I really don't like is how lopsided the voting was, and that Luck had more votes than RW, but AP does the voting, so what can you do.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• If it was up to me, Wilson or RGIII winning it is fine. Votes should have been closer. I thought for sure Luck was going to win it because of his pedigree.

Looking at Wilson and RGIII, Wilson's backend of the season was just as spectacular as RGIII's front-end. I think what got a majority of voters on his bandwagon was the two Dallas games along with beating the Giants the second time around, though it was a snoozer. That Ravens win was costly for him and the Skins. Took away his wheels and it cost them in the end.

For the record:

I thought Schneider was robbed.

I was hoping for Wagner, thought David was his main competition though Kuechly was a tackling machine at MLB.

I thought Wilson was OROY because of the vibe I was getting from the media. They usually only hitch their wagon to shooting stars so figured they knew something. Now I realize it was for next year and beyond that they were counting on.

I didn't think Carroll had a chance, since he isn't looked upon seriously by many mediots because of his time in NY and with the Patriots. The media is like an old dog, adverse to new tricks.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Quick... name the last 4 OROYs. I doubt that anyone can do it. It's not that important.

Now, name me the last 6 QBs that won Superbowls. Most of us can do that. Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Brees and Rapeslisberger.

Seattle is a LONG ways away from the vast majority of voters for these awards.... a long ways.

When I lived in the Midwest and if someone mentioned Seattle, it seemed SO distant... and it is if you don't live here.

Athletes in Seattle have to be SUPERSTARS to be considered equivalent to stars in the Midwest and in the east... that's just the way that it is.

Russell will get his full due after he wins his 2nd Superbowl. Book it.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Well, they still haven't announced the Pepsi Max ROY award yet. Maybe Russ gets that since votes were cast until yesterday I believe.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• I am just glad the drama over this award is over. People been on riddlin over it for months.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Donk70 wrote:How the hell does Luck take 2nd?

There's 2 more chips on Russ' shoulder.

That would be easy to say, and with most players it might be true, but I don't think Russell plays angry. He seems to be far more grounded than that. This will just increase his focus, which if it gets any sharper, could probably cut tungsten steel. Can't wait for next year.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Seahwkgal wrote:Well, they still haven't announced the Pepsi Max ROY award yet. Maybe Russ gets that since votes were cast until yesterday I believe.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Will Brinson ‏@willbrinson
    Russell Wilson named the 2012 Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year. It's different than official AP award obviously. #NFLHonors
    Last edited by drdiags on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Yay! A little justice.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• RGIII deserved it, but man.......I really wanted Russell to win it!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• While it doesn't really matter whether or not RW got 2nd or 3rd, I do think that's ridiculous. Luck had lots of passing yards, hooray...That nonsense about him being on the worst team is just that. The Colts were an annual 13-3 team, with 1, just ONE down year.

I wasn't going to be surprised with either Russel or Robert getting it. Rob was awesome right out of the gate. I think it took a few (just a few) games for Russel to get 100% comfortable, but he closed out a little better, and Rob missed a game.

My Hawks buddy and I were joking how it was gonna be downright 50/50. Both had awesome RBs, can't separate that. Both limited their turnovers. RG3 had less, but Russel more passing TDs. Both quickly became the leaders of their teams, both went to the playoffs.

I guess RG3 won his division, and was rookie of the week 7 times during the year. That, and yes, the voting process, gave him the edge. I wouldn't call it a 'bias' though. I mean, you're kidding right, the media over here has DESTROYED the Redskins over the years. (As for them favoring Shannahan over Carrol, that also must be a joke lol, they wanted Shanny FIRED this year..) The media's just busier on the east, more people, more voters, whatever. Then again, it is 2013, and everything happens on cell phones and tablets.

RG3 had 7 rookie of the weeks, 2 rookie of the months, 2 NFC player of the weeks, had a "perfect game" (59th in history, and youngest player to do so), and made the pro bowl.

Russel had 1 rookie of the week, 1 rookie of the month, 1 NFC player of the week, and made the pro bowl.

You could point to Russel's crazy awesome game winning drives, but RG3 had such games as well. Stalemate there imo.

I dunno how much all that matters. I dunno how much getting injured affects it. I do know, that for awhile, the Seahawks and Redskins were the 2 hottest teams in the NFC by far, both lead by their rookie and their awesome running game. So it had to take a lot of nitpicking to find a winner, and I'm guessing once they looked at every stat (RG3 broke a number a rookie records this year as well), RG3 started to look better on paper.

Again, I wouldn't have been surprised either way. RG3 was kind of expected to do some great things, but Russel came almost out of nowhere and did arguably just as well.

Besides, the Hawks have the more important victory over the Skins lately...
    DirtSkins
    NET Bench Warmer

• Griffin had better numbers except for less TD's thrown in less time played due to injury. The fact that Griffin led the league for the lowest INT percentage as a rookie starting 15 games was remarkable. As much as people put Luck over for his turning around a franchise Griffin took a crappy offensive team and transformed their offense into a number 4 team in points and number 5 in yards. He had more help than Luck with a very capable running back, but you can't make that argument in favor of Wilson since we have Lynch.

I love Wilson, but he did not deserve to win over Griffin.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• Wilson won the fan vote. Just shows you who really became the biggest star of the three once everything was said and done this season.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:Griffin had better numbers except for less TD's thrown in less time played due to injury.

The difference between the two's numbers was marginal at best, and Wilson played in a much tougher division. Griffin was also fortunate enough to play within a stat-padding offensive system that was also a mirror image of what he ran at Baylor. The numbers alone don't really tell you anything where they're that close.

Also, Griffin threw for six less TDs than Wilson. He wouldn't have made that up by playing one extra game.
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information