What's your first Super Bowl memory?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
What's your first Super Bowl memory?
Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:11 pm
  • Mine is the 85 bears and watching them destroy the Patriots. I was 11 years old. The Super Bowl Shuffle. McMahon. Payton. The fridge. That 46 defense. Man, that was a great team.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: What's your first Super Bowl memory?
Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm
  • Jackie Smith dropping a potential game winning TD for the Cowboys against the Steelers in SB XIII.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm
  • Broadway Joe spending the night before the Superbowl with "2 broads and a bottle". Then winning.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 pm
  • Mine, as embarrassing as it is, goes to the 74 Steelers. My family migrated west from Pittsburgh, to So Cal and them the NW. That was the second football game I watched. My mom sat me in front of the large console TV we had and went ape shit. She asked me who I wanted to win the game and since I liked the Purple that the Vikes had, I chose them because I thought the Steeler uniforms were awful.

That did not sit well with mom, she explained that we were a Steeler family. Not long after that, I had Steeler bed sheets, comforter, letterman's jacket with the yellow, vinyl arms and pajamas.

Two years later, that changed forever.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am
  • Super Bowl XI -- Raiders/Vikings at the Rose Bowl of all places. The poor Vikings where the original Broncos, before Broncos were the Buffalo Bills, if that makes any sense. But that Raiders team was damn good. Mark Van Eeghan and Clarence Davis? Branch, Biletnikoff and Casper? And Ken Stabler at his best? Throw in Shell and Upshaw blocking and yeah, you've got a damn good offense, and that's without even mentioning anybody on the other side of the ball...
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 am
  • Super Bowl V. A barefoot rookie kicker boots the winning kick as time runs out.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:12 am
  • Superbowl I. Green Bay's Bart Starr hitting Max McGee for a TD against the KC Chiefs. I was 11 years old and thought the AFL teams had weird uniforms.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 am
  • I honestly don't remember which SB it was, just that Dallas won. It had to have been either 93 or 94. Somehow it feels like Clinton had just been elected.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 am
  • The Kansas City game where they had Hank Stram miked up.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 am
  • The first Super Bowl I remember watching on TV was SB XV, where the Raiders beat the Eagles. The first Super Bowl party I attended was for SB XVII. My mom's a Dolphins fan and we went to a friend's house to watch them lose to the Redskins. That was also the day I got to ride in a real DeLorean. My mom's friend had one and took me for a ride around the block. I was 11 and thought it was one of the coolest things.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 am
  • SB 23, 9ers vs. Bungles. I would have been 9 y/o i guess... I remember I was so geeked to watch halftime because it was in 3D, you had to get special glasses at 7-11.

I had been into football since before that, used to watch Hawks games with my uncle (who fwiw would have been the original English Seahawk if the old limey could figure out how to work a computer), but that is the first SB i really remember specifically.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:29 am
  • Super Bowl XXXI, Green Bay vs. New England, I was 8.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am
  • My first Super Bowl memory was Super Bowl XL. I didn't watch the Super Bowl before that. Now I watch it every year.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm
  • Watching Elway cry after Doug Williams brought the Redskins back on the Donkeys. Elways tears almost taste as good as hardouche's I found out today
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm
  • Super Bowl 27 1993. Cowboys vs Bills. Final score 52-17.

Apparently, as a 8 year old, I didn't like blowouts cause I don't remember the next 3 superbowls until Brett Farves' Packers won in '97.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 am
  • Super Bowl VI (1972): Cowpies vs Dolphins. I was rooting for the Dolphins, but they lost. I think that's where my hatred for the Cowpies began.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 am
  • Raiders Eagles, January 81. I was 9.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Super Bowl V. A barefoot rookie kicker boots the winning kick as time runs out.

You mean this barefoot kicker?

And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 am
  • drdiags wrote:Superbowl I. Green Bay's Bart Starr hitting Max McGee for a TD against the KC Chiefs. I was 11 years old and thought the AFL teams had weird uniforms.

Mine as well, but as a 7 year old I didn't watch the whole game. (man, you're old!)

Do you remember that it was on 2 channels?
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Superbowl I. Green Bay's Bart Starr hitting Max McGee for a TD against the KC Chiefs. I was 11 years old and thought the AFL teams had weird uniforms.

Mine as well, but as a 7 year old I didn't watch the whole game. (man, you're old!)

Do you remember that it was on 2 channels?

That I didn't remember.

Though DTex you are getting closer to that banana as well as some of us other old farts around here. :thirishdrinkers:

More random Superbowl thoughts:

For some reason I pulled for the hated Packers the first two Superbowls but went for the Jets in III. I think I must have had some irrational hate for the Colts back then. Though I still hate those Jets uniforms. I also pulled for the Chiefs because the Purple People eaters were kicking off into the Bears butt, plus the Vikings offense sucked and was boring. Otis Taylor. That was a bad man.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 am
  • drdiags wrote:Superbowl I. Green Bay's Bart Starr hitting Max McGee for a TD against the KC Chiefs. I was 11 years old and thought the AFL teams had weird uniforms.

That was also my first. And Max McGee was hung over from partying all night as they had told him he wouldn't play. Watched this game while at my monthly Coast Guard Reserve meeting.

A note.

That actually wasn't SB1. That was the AFC/NFC Championship.

The name Super Bowl wasn't thought up until some promo guy seeng his kid playing with a "super ball" that got the idea. Course no one remember that now a days.

:les:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 am
  • The Radish wrote:That actually wasn't SB1. That was the AFC/NFC Championship.

The name Super Bowl wasn't thought up until some promo guy seeng his kid playing with a "super ball" that got the idea. Course no one remember that now a days.

Yeah, I saw that in the NFL history description as far as the Superbowl name thing. I believe it was the NYG Mara's kid that inspired the name change, but I could be mistaken. Rooney's?
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 am
  • drdiags wrote:
    The Radish wrote:That actually wasn't SB1. That was the AFC/NFC Championship.

Yeah, I saw that in the NFL history description as far as the Superbowl name thing. I believe it was the NYG Mara's kid that inspired the name change, but I could be mistaken. Rooney's?

I thought it was Lamar Hunt. Will have to research.

edit: per wiki:

"Lamar Hunt, owner of the AFL's Kansas City Chiefs, first used the term "Super Bowl"[7] to refer to this game in the merger meetings. Hunt would later say the name was likely in his head because his children had been playing with a Super Ball toy (a vintage example of the ball is on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio). In a July 25, 1966, letter to NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, Hunt wrote, "I have kiddingly called it the 'Super Bowl,' which obviously can be improved upon." Although the leagues' owners decided on the name "AFL-NFL Championship Game," the media immediately picked up on Hunt's "Super Bowl" name, which would become official beginning with the third annual game."
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:
    The Radish wrote:That actually wasn't SB1. That was the AFC/NFC Championship.

I thought it was Lamar Hunt. Will have to research.

I think you are right. I now vaguely remember this when NFLN did that AFL series about the original owners. So your memory hasn't totally taken a dump yet? Enjoy these moments of clarity ... :th2thumbs:

EDIT: Just saw your update. Good recall.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm
  • SeaHawk80 wrote:Watching Elway cry after Doug Williams brought the Redskins back on the Donkeys. Elways tears almost taste as good as hardouche's I found out today

this was mine as well.. for that and also Doug Williams becoming the first black QB to win it..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:43 pm
  • I remember watching bits of the Bears/Pats game. First full SB I remember watching was the next year - NYG/DEN.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm
  • I remember them all.

My most memorable one is the one that I wasn't allowed to watch. It was Superbowl IV played on January 11, 1970 at Tulane University in New Orleans, featuring the Minnesota Vikings against the Kansas City Chiefs. That game was actually the last AFL-NFL World Championship Game ever played. The two leagues merged shortly thereafter.

I wasn't allowed to watch it because I was just a grunt in Basic Training... and the Army back then didn't allow any TV in basic... and that included the Superbowl.

I was 20 years old, soon to be 21 just two weeks later. It was a long time ago.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:22 pm
  • I vaguely remember the two back to back 49er SB in the late 80's but the first one that resonated with me was the Giants vs. Bills 91 game and the missed FG, to give it to the Giants. I really wanted to see a Raiders VS. Niners SB that year so Montana and Bo Jackson would be in the big game but the Giants and Bills made it. Then I figured I'd root for the Bills only to see them lose 4 straight, I've always kind of wanted the Bills to win a Superbowl to this day because of those early years watching them get close enough to taste victory only to get crushed.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information