What's your first Super Bowl memory?

The Radish

Reaction score
drdiags":274qldng said:
Superbowl I. Green Bay's Bart Starr hitting Max McGee for a TD against the KC Chiefs. I was 11 years old and thought the AFL teams had weird uniforms.

That was also my first. And Max McGee was hung over from partying all night as they had told him he wouldn't play. Watched this game while at my monthly Coast Guard Reserve meeting.

A note.

That actually wasn't SB1. That was the AFC/NFC Championship.

The name Super Bowl wasn't thought up until some promo guy seeng his kid playing with a "super ball" that got the idea. Course no one remember that now a days.

:les:

drdiags

Reaction score
The Radish":2mlb6f23 said:

The name Super Bowl wasn't thought up until some promo guy seeng his kid playing with a "super ball" that got the idea. Course no one remember that now a days.

Yeah, I saw that in the NFL history description as far as the Superbowl name thing. I believe it was the NYG Mara's kid that inspired the name change, but I could be mistaken. Rooney's?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2mgv1yxk said:
The Radish":2mgv1yxk said:

Yeah, I saw that in the NFL history description as far as the Superbowl name thing. I believe it was the NYG Mara's kid that inspired the name change, but I could be mistaken. Rooney's?

I thought it was Lamar Hunt. Will have to research.

edit: per wiki:

"Lamar Hunt, owner of the AFL's Kansas City Chiefs, first used the term "Super Bowl"[7] to refer to this game in the merger meetings. Hunt would later say the name was likely in his head because his children had been playing with a Super Ball toy (a vintage example of the ball is on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio). In a July 25, 1966, letter to NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, Hunt wrote, "I have kiddingly called it the 'Super Bowl,' which obviously can be improved upon." Although the leagues' owners decided on the name "AFL-NFL Championship Game," the media immediately picked up on Hunt's "Super Bowl" name, which would become official beginning with the third annual game."

drdiags

Reaction score
DTexHawk":d53aapvh said:
drdiags":d53aapvh said:
The Radish":d53aapvh said:

I thought it was Lamar Hunt. Will have to research.

I think you are right. I now vaguely remember this when NFLN did that AFL series about the original owners. So your memory hasn't totally taken a dump yet? Enjoy these moments of clarity ... :th2thumbs:

EDIT: Just saw your update. Good recall.

hawker84

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":3tgvmbz4 said:
Watching Elway cry after Doug Williams brought the Redskins back on the Donkeys. Elways tears almost taste as good as hardouche's I found out today

this was mine as well.. for that and also Doug Williams becoming the first black QB to win it..

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I remember watching bits of the Bears/Pats game. First full SB I remember watching was the next year - NYG/DEN.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I remember them all.

My most memorable one is the one that I wasn't allowed to watch. It was Superbowl IV played on January 11, 1970 at Tulane University in New Orleans, featuring the Minnesota Vikings against the Kansas City Chiefs. That game was actually the last AFL-NFL World Championship Game ever played. The two leagues merged shortly thereafter.

I wasn't allowed to watch it because I was just a grunt in Basic Training... and the Army back then didn't allow any TV in basic... and that included the Superbowl.

I was 20 years old, soon to be 21 just two weeks later. It was a long time ago.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I vaguely remember the two back to back 49er SB in the late 80's but the first one that resonated with me was the Giants vs. Bills 91 game and the missed FG, to give it to the Giants. I really wanted to see a Raiders VS. Niners SB that year so Montana and Bo Jackson would be in the big game but the Giants and Bills made it. Then I figured I'd root for the Bills only to see them lose 4 straight, I've always kind of wanted the Bills to win a Superbowl to this day because of those early years watching them get close enough to taste victory only to get crushed.