Seahawks Salary Information (updated with Kam's details)

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":39ly6gyg said:
Um, Zach Miller is scheduled to get a $3 million roster bonus in March, bringing his base salary in 2013 to $9.8. Million.

That's a lot of cash!

Yes, he's got a cap hit of about $11 million this upcoming season, but the following two seasons, it drops dramatically, down to $7 million in 2014 and $6 million in 2015.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We may just have to put up with the big Zach Miller contract. His remaining 3 years he's due $21M. At $7M/Yr he's expensive but also probably worth it.

I got home and re-worked my spreadsheet -- I'm showing about $14.6M in cap available, that will probably go down a little with other adjustments that pop up. Losing Obomanu will help.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2x6qbos5 said:
We may just have to put up with the big Zach Miller contract. His remaining 3 years he's due $21M. At $7M/Yr he's expensive but also probably worth it.

I got home and re-worked my spreadsheet -- I'm showing about $14.6M in cap available, that will probably go down a little with other adjustments that pop up. Losing Obomanu will help.

Was hoping you'd jump in with your info here :)

Obomanu made $2 million last year and is due a bump to $2.3 million this year. His dead money is only 166,667 since it's only 1/3 of a $500,000 signing bonus.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":1axklkiy said:
Who the heck is Ron Parker and why did we pay him $666?

http://www.seahawks.com/team/transactions.html

12/05/2012 Signed CB Ron Parker from the Carolina Panthers practice squad to active roster.

12/28/2012 Released CB Ron Parker

Dead money is money that was paid to a player in some form of a bonus and wasn't counted on this years cap. Perhaps he got a "signing bonus" when he came from Carolina. Can't really be too sure what that is exactly, but he was basically just here to be depth while Browner was suspended

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Parker was paid a $1,000 signing bonus in 2011, then cut so that's the dead money from then.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":36ue5rq7 said:
Parker was paid a $1,000 signing bonus in 2011, then cut so that's the dead money from then.

Old dead money, that explains it. Wasn't making sense to give a signing bonus off of a practice squad signing.

Jville

Reaction score
So ..... the $666K dead money write off satisfies the original contract for Parker.

However, Ron Parker was resigned to a new 2 year $1.2 million futures contract on January 15, 2013. There was no signing bonus for his latest contract with scheduled base salaries of $555K in 2013 and $645K in 2014. They like Parker's size ..... 6' & 206# and his speed ..... 4.35 in his pro day forty yard dash.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Zowert":2ztq8dmi said:
Can someone please explain how the RFA (Restricted Free-Agent) and UFA (Unrestricted Free-Agent) rules work in the NFL's CBA? Is it similar to the NHL's or is it completely different?

In the NHL, a restricted free agent [RFA] is a player who's rookie contract expired and his current team has a chance to extend a qualifying offer. This keeps the player from becoming an unrestricted free agent and available for any team to negotiate with. Then the only way another team can acquire that RFA player is to draft an offer sheet (at least that's what I think its called, an "offer sheet"). Now the current team is notified of the offer that another team made to their restricted free agent, and they either have to match the amount of $$$ on the offer sheet or let the player join the other team. The player has no say in the entire process, unless he files for salary arbitration, which I am pretty sure an RFA can do in the NHL.

An unrestricted free agent in the NHL is free to go anywhere he chooses for whatever a team is willing to pay him, which I know is the same in the NFL. It's only the Restricted Free Agent rule that i'm not sure about.

So... Is that how the RFA works in the NFL or is it somewhat similar? Completely different?

Thanks

One thing the CBA changed is you now need 4 years of service time to be an UFA, and guys with 3 or less are RFA. The cool thin for the Hawks is that means Browner will be a RFA after this season.

What's cool is let's say the Hawks give Browner a 1st round tender (last year it was 2.7 million) it would cool other teams on signing him. That was the case with Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Spotrac has Russell Okung's salary escalating to over $7M (up from around $4M IIRC).

The Seahawk's perceived $18M cap space is whittling down to about $11M depending on what they do with their RFAs. That may seem like enough to do some deals but remember their carryover is over $13M so if it weren't for that carryover they'd be over the 2013 cap.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2s6kye3a said:
Spotrac has Russell Okung's salary escalating to over $7M (up from around $4M IIRC).

The Seahawk's perceived $18M cap space is whittling down to about $11M depending on what they do with their RFAs. That may seem like enough to do some deals but remember their carryover is over $13M so if it weren't for that carryover they'd be over the 2013 cap.

I know you are for better versed in the cap than I am, but I would have thought that the 2013 contract numbers would have already been figured into the projected cap space we have, so that should already cover Okung's escalators. Is this not so?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It is most likely that early cap projections don't includes contracts that escalate. I've always said over the years don't believe cap numbers until after free agency starts.

The other things we don't know is RFA tenders. Will we tender a guy like Clint Gresham? I assume we won't tender Deon Butler but what about Chris Maragos? These things have can swing cap space by a million bucks either way. Also, if we cut a guy like Obomanu, our cap will creep back up again.

I'm guessing we tender all the RFAs except Butler, but I'm not certain about that. With these assumptions I have our available cap at about $11M, and that could change.

Jville

Reaction score
There is a clear and well done salary cap 101 presentation,
including the June 1st rule and dead cap money, over at
blogging the boys >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/2/23/4017138/salary-cap-101-proration-amortization-cap-hits-dead-money-and-more[/urltargetblank]

One omission from their presentation is how scheduled guaranteedroster
bonuses are handled. They are in fact treated similar to how the
restructured contract is handled and presented, in yellow, below -if they are quanteed.

SC   Restructured contract medium

Incorrect assertion .... see edit belowThe Zack Miller $3m roster bonus due in 2013 will be
distributed exactly as shown in yellow above.

Note: Hawkstorian, in the previous post, points out other
additional factors, such as performance bonuses, that are
not mentioned by the linked presentation.

EDIT: The assertion that Miller's $3m roster bonus will be prorated over three years is incorrect because it is a unguanteed roster bonus. Unguanteed bonuses are charged off in whole in the year they are paid.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I don't know if Miller's roster bonus will be pro rated into the future or not. If it truly is a roster bonus, it counts 100% in 2013. It could easily be converted to a signing bonus but that just shifts cap dollars into future years.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":iwxwf0jo said:
I don't know if Miller's roster bonus will be pro rated into the future or not. If it truly is a roster bonus, it counts 100% in 2013. It could easily be converted to a signing bonus but that just shifts cap dollars into future years.

:hmmmm: After looking around there seems to be a difference in opinion out there. I see the formula I have used out there at various sites >>>

» Annual Cap Number = year’s base salary + pro-rated signing bonus + pro-rated roster bonus
[urltargetblank]http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/01/salary-cap-planning-101-part-1-rookie-contracts/[/urltargetblank]
And ..... I also see what your saying out there >>>>
The non-guaranteed amount of any salary advance, off-season workout bonus, off-season roster bonus, or off-season reporting bonus is included in the team’s salary in the year it was earned. These bonuses cannot be prorated. “Guaranteed” refers to those bonuses that are fully guaranteed–regardless of skill, injury or termination of the contract.

[urltargetblank]http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/FAQ.aspx[/urltargetblank]

So ..... the difference in treatment comes down to the distinction between guanteed verses non-guanteed.

Assuming that Miller's roster bonus are likely not quaranteed, you are correct in the view that those bonuses will be charged in total against the year they are paid.

Thanks for the correction Hawkstorian.
My appologies to .net for the confussion.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Hah --- I e-mailed spotrac because they didn't have Kris Durham's dead money on their list (they had 2 other guys) and LOW AND BEHOLD

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap-hit/

He's there.

NFL Network is reporting the 2013 cap will be $123M, a few weeks ago the reports were $121M. With that extra $2M and depending on RFA tenders my best guess is the Seahawks have somewhere in the $13M range of available cap space. There are also a few contracts that could be re-worked to create more room if they needed it, so I see enough $$ to re-sign the important players, maybe extend 1 or 2 guys and add some pieces. I really don't see room to add a flashy new toy unless they start hacking some other contracts.

KentuckyHawk

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has posted a link to it already, but http://www.overthecap.com is a good resource for cap stuff. They've got us listed at roughly $17M in cap space, which I believe is updated to the $123M cap.

Pretty interesting site in general, and seems to be pretty accurate.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Thanks KentuckyHawk -- that's another pretty good salary cap site. It's amazing how since the new CBA contract information has become much more available on the web.

What is NOT Included in most estimates you're seeing out there, is dollars for tendres to RFAs. That's probably the reason a guy like Brian McIntyre has us at $16M available and I'm projecting more like $13M.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bumping this since there seems to be lots of cap questions now.

With Hawkstorian's estimated $13 million in cap room before yesterdays two major moves (signing Harvin and cutting Washington), we add $4.9 million for Harvey, and Subtract $1.75 ($2.5 million salary/bonus - $750,000 dead money left from his original signing bonus) and we have a total change of $3.15 million. So if the estimate was correct at approximately $13 million, then we should be around $10 million at the moment.

Latest posts