House of Cards on Netflix

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
House of Cards on Netflix
Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm
  • If you enjoy political dramas I highly recommend House of Cards. This is a Netflix original series with 13 episodes and its captivating. It's hard to suck me into a tv show... And this one grabbed me from the beginning. Kevin Spacey plays the lead and shines as always.
    Allseahawk
    NET Practice Squad

Re: House of Cards on Netflix
Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm
  • Dude, I just watched this last weekend. Got hooked. It's a damned good show, surprisingly. Kevin Spacey did, indeed, do a fantastic job.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 pm
  • Show is awesome, I'm trying to pace myself though. I'm at episode 8 already though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 am
  • To hell with pacing, Throwdown. Burn through it!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 am
  • I might end up doing that anyway lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 am
  • I added it to my list when it first came out. I have been playing catch-up on quite a few things lately, so I haven't seen a single episode. I do think Spacey is a very good actor, and it's what compelled me towards it. I'm glad to hear such good reviews of it so far. Can't wait to delve into this one.

Anyone know a time frame for the next "season" or is this just going to be a single run, or are they waiting to see how well it's received before moving into the next part?

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 am
  • There is a 2nd season confirmed with Spacey signed on, (he signed up for two in the beginning) but no ETA as to when it will come. I absolutely love the fact that all the episodes came out simultaneously, as that is how I always watch my shows; wait 6 freaking months until the show's season is over, then watch it all at once over the space of a few days. Way better, that way. I hope they come out with season 2 later this year. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 pm
  • I'll hold off sharing spoilers for a few weeks to give all a chance to catch up.
    Allseahawk
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 pm
  • Allseahawk wrote:I'll hold off sharing spoilers for a few weeks to give all a chance to catch up.

Screw that, just put a giant SPOILER ALERT tag at the beginning of your post in huge, bold text, then a paragraph's worth of space; and type away. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm
  • SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Every woman on that show is SMOKIN HOT!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 am
  • I might not be quite as enamored as some of you, but I liked it. It's not upper echelon quality television, but it's quite good and also solid all the way through. Spacey was predictably great, but I think Russo stole the show. Maaaaaaaan that dude.

One thing I found peculiar was how little, if at all, large passing of time between episodes would be acknowledged. I'd wonder how certain people are listening to Spacey come up with another crackpot plan so soon after the last, then realize that it's been quite a chunk of time within the show. Just an odd experience when paired with the dumping of a whole season on our platter at once to inspire binge viewing.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Pink, can you elaborate on what you think prevents this from being an upper-echelon show? I think the production value was very high on this in a variety of ways, personally. Certainly better than plenty of what airs on CBS/NBC/etc.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm
  • SPOILER ALERT....................................

I like all of the episodes being released at the same time because it really helps you follow the plot. There were so many details in shows like 24 and Lost where I'd forget important moments or characters from earlier in the show ans wouldn't see the important connections later on. Not with this show in this format. I'm a journalist by trade so I find the character of Zoe fascinating. First I'd never go to the lengths and make the ethical compromises she does to get a story but it's interesting to see her personal conflict rise as the season reached its end point. When you cut corners you can burn hot and fast but will flame out quickly. As I covered politics for five years and with that my fair share of corruption I could empathize with her moral dilemma as I too have had facts dropped in my lap, but to put them out there would burn a source or put me into the story. It's a fine line to walk and few people can do it well.

As for the Robin Wrights character... she is very interesting as well. Being the wife of a powerful congressman with her own agenda. But betray her husband's trust for the sake of clean drinking water for children in Africa. That was a calculated risk. She's so close to Francis but their relationship doesn't feel at all loving... more that of business partners. I'm curious how she will respond when she eventually learns of Francis' role in the death of Russo. Will she stand by her husband or leave him to return to her lover in NY?

As for the filming and pacing of time... I appreciate them jumping forward by weeks and months to push the plot forward. Politics is a slow business and to jump over the mundane and get to the heart of the story is refreshing.
    Allseahawk
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Pink, can you elaborate on what you think prevents this from being an upper-echelon show? I think the production value was very high on this in a variety of ways, personally. Certainly better than plenty of what airs on CBS/NBC/etc.

Oh, by upper echelon I meant that kind of elite upper crust of Sopranos/Mad Men/Wire type shows that push the viewer. It definitely has a feel of being tailor made for the audience without really being a challenging show, nothing wrong with that. If it were on CBS/NBC/etc. it'd easily be the best show on those networks. I didn't mean it as a particularly bad thing, just that I maybe thought it'd be a little more with Fincher, Space, etc. all involved. Still a very good show.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am
  • Ah; ok.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 am
  • But Russo? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

That's one of my favorite characters/arcs in any show in a while. The whole thing was brutal.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 am
  • The Russo character was dope.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 am
  • Throwdown wrote:The Russo character was dope.

He definitely was getting his freak, drugs and drink on.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information