Issues for Wilson to fix with his game?

Perfundle

Reaction score
Jville":1kwqxj0t said:
pehawk":1kwqxj0t said:
This board is VERY unfair on the offensive line.

Football Outsiders would statistically tend to agree with you. They improved their pass block ranking from 24th in 2011 to 20th in 2012. Considering all the personel movement at the guard positions as well as the inclusion of a part time rookie who had never before seen the game from the offense' side of the line (and exotic blitzes), that was IMO an exceptable improvement.
Run blocking should be pretty accurate, but measuring pass blocking this way is rather meaningless with such an elusive QB. How many sacks did Wilson get out of that Jackson wouldn't have?

Jville

Reaction score
Perfundle":4jrj3deu said:
Jville":4jrj3deu said:
pehawk":4jrj3deu said:
This board is VERY unfair on the offensive line.

Football Outsiders would statistically tend to agree with you. They improved their pass block ranking from 24th in 2011 to 20th in 2012. Considering all the personel movement at the guard positions as well as the inclusion of a part time rookie who had never before seen the game from the offense' side of the line (and exotic blitzes), that was IMO an exceptable improvement.
Run blocking should be pretty accurate, but measuring pass blocking this way is rather meaningless with such an elusive QB. How many sacks did Wilson get out of that Jackson wouldn't have?

I feel more comfortable with the run block ratings as well. But for what it is worth, Football Outsiders noted mobiity differences as well as other considerations in this Dec 2003 article >>> http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... /fun-sacks <<< Hope this link helps.
McNair brings up another interesting point. You wouldn't expect "mobile quarterbacks" to be among the most sacked in the league, yet both Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb are sacked plenty -- ranking down with the Baltimore statues and the immobile Drew Bledsoe.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd like to see Wilson throw the quick slant a bit more. Most of our routes take way too long to develop.

With our crushing running game, and play action to the TE's, then throw in some read option, I think it would be killer to go 3 wide with a RB and bang out some quick slants.

Running 2 TE sets in which you run and pass from, then the read option, and the pistol formation....wow, that's a lot to study for on a defense.

taz291819

Reaction score
Regarding his issues with the pocket, he does this because he can't see. If you notice, he rarely does a 3-step drop. It's more like 5-steps. He likes to get a good 10-yards behind the line, so he can see over them. This was explained and exampled on one of the pre-game shows. It's not really a bad thing for him, since he has the speed and mobility to pull it off (not to mention the arm strength).

I do think he sometimes doesn't trust the O-line, thinking the pocket is breaking down faster than it is. That'll come with time.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
taz291819":3kmrpwpf said:
I do think he sometimes doesn't trust the O-line, thinking the pocket is breaking down faster than it is. That'll come with time.

sometimes, the pocket does break down. We would have seen twice as many or more sacks this year if wilson wasn't as elusive as he is.

I'm not "down" on the oline but it needs to be more consistent.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
This kid studies the game so much I'm sure he knows exactly what he needs to get to work on and will actually listen to coaching. Having Russell at the Super Bowl all weekend was even the better, he knew they could just as easily been in that game. Guaranteed he's back at work. Special.

BASF

Reaction score
Jville":1rbjb2ui said:
The improvement in run blocking was huge. Tom Cable saw his unit improve from 19th best in 2011 to 3rd best in 2012. :th2thumbs: Outstanding.

The line deserves the lions share of the credit for this, but Marshawn's improved understanding of his responsibility for hitting the hole at the proper moment should be mentioned. He was vastly improved this season in being at the hole when the hole was supposed to be there compared to last season.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
The biggest thing that he needs is two more targets and an offseason to bring them up to speed

Round 1 we draft one of the top 2 TE. Round 2 WR. Round 3 and 5 defensive line for thise of you who think we should adress it before that. The drop off from top two TE to third is fairly big, so dl if they are gone.

Wilson has been terrific hooking up with TE this season, making even our second string guys look good. Scrambling with two top flight TE he would be scary. I have nothing against our current receivers, but we are one injury away from having our offense crumble there and this year there will be a solid wr option in the second round.

People finding fault with our rookie qb should be ashamed of themselves.

A

Anonymous

Issues for Russell Wilson to fix are:

1.)
2.)
3.) (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzz... ...crickets chirping... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...)

Go to "The Lounge" and start another topic on Aliens or broccolli. . .

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
taz291819":333df98u said:
Regarding his issues with the pocket, he does this because he can't see. If you notice, he rarely does a 3-step drop. It's more like 5-steps. He likes to get a good 10-yards behind the line, so he can see over them. This was explained and exampled on one of the pre-game shows.

**Sigh**

It was explained by a talking head who is not 5' 11" QB. If the pocket is holding, he stays put...and when that happens, he certainly isn't 10 yards behind the line. Throwing lanes are ZERO feet high, BTW.

Zowert

Reaction score
I'm not qualified to tell Russell Wilson what he's doing wrong. Even though this is just a forum, meant for opinions from fans, who have a different perspective on the game than players..

Wilson was a stud his rookie year, especially the last half of the season. I think now that the coaching staff has gained a lot of faith in RW, he will go a long way. Build a team around him, everything else, he's smart enough to correct on his own time.