OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":13ti1bl4 said:
Patriots made the postseason this year.
Steelers made the postseason last year.
Colts made the postseason the year before that.
Cardinals made the postseason the year before that.

Exactly how far back does this thing have to be proven wrong before people stop trotting it out there?

Please don't take my posts too seriously, I don't. Just having a little fun here at 49er expense and would hope that people don't get all worked up over a jab at the Steelers too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Superbowl Hangover is real !

And yes, the NFCW will be the toughest division in the league next year. I don't see AZ as a contender, but no one is going to blow them out either. Their defense is damned good; a front 7 equal to or better than ours and a secondary that's not too far behind.

Smoke

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ptm1pni said:
Smoke":3ptm1pni said:
The Arizona Defense that gave up 58 points vs us last year? Yeah, that defense has me shaking in my boots.

Yet, despite that performance, they finished with the 6th-ranked defense for the year. Don't be a blind homer, Arizona's defense is damned good; even if they did crap the bed against us.

It's just my opinion, and in my opinion good defenses keep there team in games no matter how How horrible (#32 to be exact) there Offense is. Also, I watch and analyze a lot of football, and I am not scared of Arizona's D. I'm not. It doesn't mean that I am a "Blind Homer" it means that I have my own opinions about how not scared of there "Damn Good D" I am.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Smoke":fw77bsd4 said:
It's just my opinion, and in my opinion good defenses keep there team in games no matter how How horrible (#32 to be exact) there Offense is. Also, I watch and analyze a lot of football, and I am not scared of Arizona's D. I'm not. It doesn't mean that I am a "Blind Homer" it means that I have my own opinions about how not scared of there "Damn Good D" I am.

That's a beautiful story, but in the real world when a defense is on the field for several game minutes, then the offense goes 3-and-out, then they're back on for several minutes, and that happens over and over, they get gassed. Quickly.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2cmncycp said:
Smoke":2cmncycp said:

That's a beautiful story, but in the real world when a defense is on the field for several game minutes, then the offense goes 3-and-out, then they're back on for several minutes, and that happens over and over, they get gassed. Quickly.

So you're scared of their defense? Does it strike fear in you? That's pretty pussified if you ask me. ;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What, I can't be concerned about their defense without being scared?

Let me tell you something that is true in my opinion: If AZ drafts a decent QB and two good O-linemen, they will compete for winning the division next year.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bt7q53d said:
What, I can't be concerned about their defense without being scared?

I believe it was the phrase "shaking in my boots" that earned Smoke the "blind homer" comment so you tell me.

AZ might be a few key players away from competing for the division but they don't have them yet. Until they prove they're ready I expect us to steadily steam roll them. Unless we're not as good as I think we are, but I think we are.

benbu75

Reaction score
Aros":gcy9khuk said:
ZING!

Sign me up. I am seriously considering booking my flight to Newark next February. I've never been this convinced of a Championship in my entire life.

Wilson is magic. It WILL happen. (Plus it figures...Another cold Super Bowl location see: Detroit).

Detroit was a cold location, but they have an indoor stadium with Ford Field. MetLife Stadium is outdoors, so the two really are not comparable.

benbu75

Reaction score
Smoke":2s9d6hfx said:
It's just my opinion, and in my opinion good defenses keep there team in games no matter how How horrible (#32 to be exact) there Offense is.

Yeah, that's just not true. If a team has a GREAT (and by great, I mean one of the all time great) defense, then they can carry a team a bit and make up for some lacking on the offensive side, but it can't be inept or the effectiveness of the defense will diminish. The best stats I can think of here is time of possession and turnover ratio. So, how long can the offense keep the ball on the field and how well to they protect the ball when they have it.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens, who most would argue was a great defense with a not-so-great offense, had a 33:18 to 26:41 time of possession with a +23 turnover ratio. The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, another of the all time great defenses with no-so-great offenses that won the Superbowl was 32:07 to 28:38 with a +17 turnover ratio. By comparison, the Arizona Cardinals this year were 29:19 to 31:19 with a -1 turnover ratio.

They say defense wins championships, but defense doesn't win games. Defense doesn't keep the ball on the field to score points and give the defense a rest. Defense can't protect the ball from other teams defenses and ensure that opportunities to score are capitalized on. Teams don't have to have a GREAT offense, but they have to have one there that is efficient, protects the ball and capitalizes on scoring opportunities. If the Cardinals can get that going next season, they already have the defensive tools in place to be competitive.

49elite

Reaction score
Don't forget you guys were unusually healthy last year..good luck with that!!

The only reason I bring it up is because I recall folks on here saying the same thing about the niners after the 2011 season.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Vernon Davis finally came back after his brain got craddle rocked by Kam just in time to lose the super bowl...Good luck with that.

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
AZ has a good D, we all have a respectable D in this division. But AZ lost their D coordinator as well. So i dont really fear them either, until they prove they are elite. i think we will have two teams with double digit wins again this year. Hopefully we can end up on top so we can have some bye and home games in jan. if that happens, we should get a shot at the lombardi....

Winterfell

Reaction score
Both the Cardinals and the Rams as mentioned already have a good defense. In my opinion, both teams are about a good draft and free agency away from becoming an elite defense like the Seahawks and 49ers.

If both the Cardinals and the Rams are able to add a couple playmakers on offense as well, watch out. Because they'll very much be in contention for the NFC West title.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The NFC West will be damn hard this year. I think the 49ers will continue on from last year and the Rams will be a lot better but I think we will improve even more on last year. Wilson just fills me with confidence. I would like another WR in the team though and the pass rush sorted. September seems so far away though!

NinerLifer

Reaction score
So the Superbowl loser NEVER makes the playoffs the following year???

Hmmm.....I hope the hope for your team in this forum is based off of more accurate data than this.

Decimation

Reaction score
NinerLifer":7sxff51k said:

Hmmm.....I hope the hope for your team in this forum is based off of more accurate data than this.
You can enjoy the wildcard round, while we own the 1st seed in the NFC. Cheers!

hawker84

Reaction score
no it's not accurate.. what is accurate though is niners will not be winning the division next year... wildcard?

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1dkys34d said:

DUDE? I just don't get the angle you're coming from? Typically, and statistcally, the two teams that made the superbowl, will not make it back to the Superbowl the following year, period. Only unrealistic fans could think that the 49ers would fall off so much to not make the playoffs.

BUT, over the last 25 years, after making the Superbowl, the losers of the game didn't even make it back to the playoffs. Let alone win the superbowl.

Cincinnati Bengals. (Super Bowl XXIII). 1988 season: 12-4; 1989 season: 8-8.
Cincinnati started a long streak of losing with their 1989 Season mark and it ended with them making the playoffs in the 2005 Season.
Denver Broncos. (Super Bowl XXIV). 1989 season: 11-5; 1990 season: 5-11.
The Broncos would rebound to advance to the 1992 AFC Championship Game vs Buffalo
Buffalo Bills. (Super Bowl XXVIII). 1993 season: 12-4; 1994 season: 7-9.
Atlanta Falcons. (Super Bowl XXXIII). 1998 season: 14-2; 1999 season: 5-11.
New York Giants. (Super Bowl XXXV). 2000 season: 12-4; 2001 season: 7-9.
St. Louis Rams. (Super Bowl XXXVI). 2001 season: 14-2; 2002 season: 7-9.
Oakland Raiders. (Super Bowl XXXVII). 2002 season: 11-5; 2003 season: 4-12
Carolina Panthers. (Super Bowl XXXVIII) 2003 season: 11-5; 2004 season: 7-9.
Philadelphia Eagles. (Super Bowl XXXIX) 2004 season: 13-3; 2005 season: 6-10.
Chicago Bears. (Super Bowl XLI) 2006 season: 13-3; 2007 season: 7-9.[4]

The last team that lost the Superbowl, and won it the following year were the Miami Dolphins, lead by Bob Griese in 1973 (lost in ’72, won in ’73). So over 40 years ago was the last time that happened... How's that for statistics? Oh and good luck next year, it should be fun watching the changing of the guard, in full effect. GO HAWKS!!!! (Russel Wilson voice)

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RussWILSON3":f8p692f8 said:
NinerLifer":f8p692f8 said:

DUDE? I just don't get the angle you're coming from? Typically, and statistcally, the two teams that made the superbowl, will not make it back to the Superbowl the following year, period. Only unrealistic fans could think that the 49ers would fall off so much to not make the playoffs.

BUT, over the last 25 years, after making the Superbowl, the losers of the game didn't even make it back to the playoffs. Let alone win the superbowl.

Cincinnati Bengals. (Super Bowl XXIII). 1988 season: 12-4; 1989 season: 8-8.
Cincinnati started a long streak of losing with their 1989 Season mark and it ended with them making the playoffs in the 2005 Season.
Denver Broncos. (Super Bowl XXIV). 1989 season: 11-5; 1990 season: 5-11.
The Broncos would rebound to advance to the 1992 AFC Championship Game vs Buffalo
Buffalo Bills. (Super Bowl XXVIII). 1993 season: 12-4; 1994 season: 7-9.
Atlanta Falcons. (Super Bowl XXXIII). 1998 season: 14-2; 1999 season: 5-11.
New York Giants. (Super Bowl XXXV). 2000 season: 12-4; 2001 season: 7-9.
St. Louis Rams. (Super Bowl XXXVI). 2001 season: 14-2; 2002 season: 7-9.
Oakland Raiders. (Super Bowl XXXVII). 2002 season: 11-5; 2003 season: 4-12
Carolina Panthers. (Super Bowl XXXVIII) 2003 season: 11-5; 2004 season: 7-9.
Philadelphia Eagles. (Super Bowl XXXIX) 2004 season: 13-3; 2005 season: 6-10.
Chicago Bears. (Super Bowl XLI) 2006 season: 13-3; 2007 season: 7-9.[4]

The last team that lost the Superbowl, and won it the following year were the Miami Dolphins, lead by Bob Griese in 1973 (lost in ’72, won in ’73). So over 40 years ago was the last time that happened... How's that for statistics? Oh and good luck next year, it should be fun watching the changing of the guard, in full effect. GO HAWKS!!!! (Russel Wilson voice)

I see you left off Superbowl XL...did the loser make the postseason the following year? ;)

Also found this on the 1st page. Last 25 years???

volsunghawk":f8p692f8 said:
Patriots made the postseason this year.
Steelers made the postseason last year.
Colts made the postseason the year before that.
Cardinals made the postseason the year before that.

Exactly how far back does this thing have to be proven wrong before people stop trotting it out there?