SF blocks DB coach from interviewing for Saints DC position

IronSaint

Reaction score
Throwdown":3r0c1ewq said:
Couldn't Donatell just resign from the team and pursue the Saints DC position?

Ahh, to be honest your guess is as good as mine's. LOL.

drdiags":3r0c1ewq said:
The Bears did this with Martz and Tice if I remember correctly a couple years ago or last season with Tice. It has been done before. I thought if it was an promotion that teams wouldn't get in the way but I see that isn't the case.

From what I keep hearing online and on the radio, teams can't block teams requesting interviews only if it's for a head coaching job. I learned the NFL only recognizes two types of coaches, head coaches and assistants. Therefore, it's considered a "lateral move", going from one assistant job to another.

It's been much discussed on SaintsReport, and I find it's a stupid rule to be honest. If you think about it, there should be at least 3 levels of coaches: head coach, then coordinators, then position coaches. It's not a lateral move, because then you're going from coaching one set of guys (DB's in Donatell's case) to a whole side of the ball. It's like saying that going from a field officer to a general in the military isn't a promotion.

:49ersmall:

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Throwdown":2dz3rcej said:

I would guess his contract prohibits this.

Even if it didn't, it'd be a pretty foolish move unless he was all but guaranteed the job. No way to get that kind of assurance without an interview, which the Niners won't grant. It'd probably be tampering otherwise.

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Throwdown":2nx89c39 said:

That would make sense, if the Saints told him he was a shoo-in for the DC job. Otherwise he could get screwed having no job at all! Something tells me though that Goddell would raise a stink over something like this...not going through a "fair and equitable" hiring process if the Saints did that.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
What? No niner fans defending him in this case? Strange.

Usually one tiny little comment about the niners and they come out of nowhere and attack the thread like locusts.

Subzero717

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1o37ickb said:

Usually one tiny little comment about the niners and they come out of nowhere and attack the thread like locusts.

Have they even been around? I figured they are still in morning.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":8nxh8pfx said:
twisted_steel2":8nxh8pfx said:

They should be in afternoon right about now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but shouldn't the title of this thread read:

"DB Coach blocks DB coach from DC interview"?

:laugh:

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":k9o5bfs1 said:
twisted_steel2":k9o5bfs1 said:

Those that weren't killed in the Band Wagon crash have gone back to their Nursing and Secretarial jobs...

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I was under the impression that this really isn't that uncommon, SF is more following the trend than anything. Pete Carroll said in his book that the same thing happened to him when he was coaching with the Vikings and it pissed him off, so he's always allowed his coaches to interview at other jobs and take the chance to advance their coaching career.

Goldrush

Reaction score
Much ado about nothing, Donatell is being groomed for the coordinator job in SF once Fangio leaves so it only makes good sense and Donatell isnt complaining in the least because he knows it. Plus the Saints are only kicking tires, we all know who they are going to hire.

BASF

Reaction score
It is interesting that anyone is looking to bring Donatell back to the D-Coordinator position. Every season he was the D-Coordinator for Green Bay and then Atlanta, his defenses finished worse than they were the previous season.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Goldrush":80oxqsfs said:
Much ado about nothing, Donatell is being groomed for the coordinator job in SF once Fangio leaves so it only makes good sense and Donatell isnt complaining in the least because he knows it. Plus the Saints are only kicking tires, we all know who they are going to hire.

Maybe he is genuinely okay with it and maybe he isn't, but honestly, what else could he possibly say in public? He would jeopardize his shot at the Niners DC job and all others by whining about the situation.

The Outfield

Reaction score
DavidSeven":m32v6q2q said:
Goldrush":m32v6q2q said:

Maybe he is genuinely okay with it and maybe he isn't, but honestly, what else could he possibly say in public? He would jeopardize his shot at the Niners DC job and all others by whining about the situation.

Exactly.

Jake Hawks

Reaction score
Douchebag harbaugh style. jim, jim jim jim jim, douchebag harbaugh style.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Isn't there functionality for forums to auto-replace certain words with other words? I see the functionality often used for profanity censoring.

I'd love to auto-replace any instance of "Harbaugh" with "Douchebaugh", except in cases in which "John" precedes the Harbaugh.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2p9f3ajg said:
Poor guy.

Is anyone surprised that Jimmy doesn't really care about his staff/players?

lol
LawlessHawk":2p9f3ajg said:
CALIHAWK1":2p9f3ajg said:
twisted_steel2":2p9f3ajg said:

Those that weren't killed in the Band Wagon crash have gone back to their Nursing and Secretarial jobs...

lol this topic doesnt even remotely concern us niner fans.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
CANHawk":3ewga0c9 said:
Harbs is so going to flame out big time. Fangio and Roman are going to get HC gigs at some point (if the 9'ers weren't in the SB, it probably would have happened this year) and Harbs will be exposed for the lack luster coach he is. No good talent is going to want to work under him because he's clearly a lunatic. The public embarassment of the .500 then losing seasons will drive him nuts and he'll go off the deep end, likely in public (i'm thinking at a press conference or an Applebee's).

It's going to be glorious to see. GLORIOUS!

God I hate Harbaugh. Not just sports hate. I think I REALLY hate him. Like "I want him to go bankrupt and end up living under an overpass" kind of hate. Screw that guy. Screw him right in his face hole. Screw him right in the face hole with a righteous pecker of justice!

losing seasons? is it because the QB that reached the superbowl for us is 25? I dont even..

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2cyukd8q said:
I think it can seriously backfire on a coach. When you deny a person the right to seek to better themselves, they can easily turn that into resentment, which is something that does not bode well for job performance.

Pete let Quinn go, and he was able to garner valuable experience, and is now coming back having more experience to draw from. IMO, a guy like Quinn will be more willing to go that extra mile for the team and the coach while the guy like Donatell, may, without even realize it, hold back a little bit.

I agree. The organization thought very highly of Quinn but let him depart on good terms only to have him back later as our defensive coordinator. I can't wait to see what Quinn does to improve our defense, especially the line, and we have him back on staff due in part to the classy way we treat those who depart the organization.

Latest posts