EPL 2012-2013

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1lnx7ahu said:
Liverpool has the worst shot percentage of any team in the PL.... awesome stat.

Didn't Liverpool lead the EPL in hitting the woodwork last year? Seems like they've gotten worse with their accuracy then.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Didn't see the Arsenal match, but I did listen to it on talksport. From what I heard, Arsenal actually played on the front foot from the word go for once. Begovic had a inspired performance in goal for Stoke and it took a nasty deflection to finally beat him, which to my knowledge was almost disallowed for Walcott being in an offsides position(luckily he was nowhere near the action so it was overruled by the head ref). I won't have a real definitive opinion until I see the whole match though, but it's nice to see Arsenal in a positive direction and now a point outside of the Top 4, provided Spurs muck it up tomorrow at West Brom.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Unlucky, but well played Liverpool. What a match too. 2 awesome Liverpool goals. Sturridge was great and Gerrard's goal was a Gerrard classic. But that goal of Aguero's was something else.

Bale had a great goal too, although Spurs are still looking pretty scratchy. I can't believe that we didn't get a striker. Hopefully Adebayor can come back from South Africa with a bit of form. We're going to need him. We're looking really good until the ball goes in the box and there's no-one there to do anything with it. If Dzeko were on this team he'd probably have 15-20 goals already.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Liverpool definitely should've won. Spurs are now in dire need of Adebayor to get back asap and in form too otherwise, there'll be some goal scoring missing and Everton, Arsenal and maybe Liverpool can take advantage if not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sweet site, Gate, thanks

Liverpool didnt deserve to win anymore than they did against Arsenal. Failure to put away chances and another comical error (this time Reina) cost us points.

(yes, im bitter... we played very well, and thats encouraging... but this is getting old)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Just saw Cesc Fabregas' goal vs Uruguay, and I gotta say... great goalkeeping!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3d9hx9sh said:
So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.

Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off

Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37n28i3e said:
Glasgow Seahawk":37n28i3e said:

Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off

Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)

Do you not think Utd's extravagant debt has some factor in player spending? They pay millions in debt interest alone. Pre Glazers they were debt free as a PLC and possibly the best run team going. Without loan and debts to pay off they would have been spending that money on the team. I personally hate Man Utd but I find it frightening to think what they would be like without the handicap of debt. Ferguson is a great manager because he consistently adapts to survive, has rebuilt numerous teams and outlasted every challenger that has came his way: Mourinho, Wenger, Mancini, Benitez etc. Everyone thought he was finished when Arsenal dominated for a few years, he came back, same with Mourinho. He's also not afraid to kick out a fan favorite rightly or wrongly who he feels has become a nuisance in the team in the team such as Keane, Beckham and Staam (probably his biggest mistake). That's before you even take his success at Aberdeen into account. His biggest failing at United is probably not winning more Champions League trophies.

I think he will retire at the end of the season if they win the league. I think either Mourinho or Moyes will take over.

I'm reluctant to think that Benitez will last the season, what a strange appointment.

Mancini will be there till the end of the season but his dismal Champions League campaign is grounds for sacking already.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

the sooner he retires the better

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fige4e8m said:
Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

the sooner he retires the better

They were spending that amount on players pre takeover and debt, this was before the stupendous SKY and BT new deal riches as well. Considering they are probably the biggest soccer franchise in terms of turnover and exposure spending that much is small change. Living in Seattle, the amount of people that i've came across that claim that Man United or Barcelona are their European team is staggering. Yet apart from Messi, many of them couldn't tell you a thing about them. In the UK people wear Yankees baseball caps, yet think it is a brand rather than a baseball team.

I agree with you that Ferguson has made a few mistakes lately. Sticking with Ferdinand who is past it and Vidic who is injury prone while getting rid of Pique was crazy. However, I think he is the master of the mind games to be honest and he has always won at them. Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho got sucked in and lost. At Aberdeen he created a siege mentality claiming that the Scottish media and refs were Glasgow biased, which worked wonders for his team. The only manager almost as good as him at mind games is Mourinho. This is arguably won of the poorest United teams in a long time in terms of quality, the fact he is well clear in the league despite Chelsea and City spending money like it is going out of fashion must be respected. As for not hearing criticism of his players, I think he tries to protect them in public whilst kicking their asses in private. If you read Roy Keanes autobiography you'll see how him and the club handle any trouble that players get into on or off the park. He has spies everywhere.

I think he will retire this season. The team needs rebuilding and I don't think he is interested in building another one hence the patchwork job this year. I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm not trying to defend Man Utd too much but the fact they are still competing with the big spenders of Chelsea and City is pretty good going.

I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1jy08l22 said:
I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.

I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Just saw your last post. Agreed, largely. I think Ferguson spends his money more wisely than Mancini and Abramovich. He still spends a tonne of money though.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":21brrntm said:
Glasgow Seahawk":21brrntm said:
I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.

I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?

Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3shwzm8e said:
Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.

I think you'll find that there are one or two teams at the top of most European leagues that spend like crazy. Anzhi, Zenit, Dynamo Kiev, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Malaga, Bayern Munich, Juventus, AC, Inter, PSG and Galatasaray are teams from off the top of my head that I'm guessing spend more than Spurs or Arsenal. But your point is valid, the finances of football are screwed up and it makes the product less appealing (in my mind) than the likes of the NFL, NRL, Super XV in terms of being an interesting league to follow.

The Dutch and Portuguese leagues are exceptions, I think.

As for the English talent, I'm not convinced that the influx of foreigners is entirely to blame for British teams being pony of late. The attitude to sport in schools is utterly lamentable, pathetic even. I'm planning to be back in New Zealand by the time my eldest son is at an age to play sports (should he want to) and a large part of that is that provision for sports over here is a joke.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3ds9k115 said:
I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.

Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3majvel5 said:

One only really needs to look at PSG if you want an example of quantity not equalling quality. They've been buying like crazy and even though they're league leaders, it's pretty obvious that there's little to no chemistry between the players on the field for them.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2e046xwb said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2e046xwb said:

Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.

I still think they are soft at the back and need an enforcer in midfield i.e a Viera. Wanyama would be perfect for you guys.