UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Cannot wait till next week! As a Celtic fan I think we can get at least a draw in Glasgow. Not so confident away from home but if we keep it tight at the back anything can happen.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":bl2c9g4a said:
Cannot wait till next week! As a Celtic fan I think we can get at least a draw in Glasgow. Not so confident away from home but if we keep it tight at the back anything can happen.

Maybe Celtic gets possessed by the 11 players who played in Lisbon.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
...or play as well as they did against Barcelona and Spartak. At the moment Celtic have nothing to lose. Pressure is all on Juventus. Celtic were told they would be lucky to qualify for the Group Stages, they were told they would be lucky to get a point in the group stages, that Scottish football was dead due to Rangers demise. At the moment we have a really young side who can only get better in my opinion. Lustig, Matthews, Forrest, Forster and Wanyama have great potential. I don't think Wanyama and Hooper will stay beyond this summer but I think our scouting network means I would be confident replace at least Hooper. Wanyama will end up at a really big club I think.

Scottish football which was once the 4th best league in Europe in the 70's has been completely gubbed since Sky started investing heavily in the EPL in the 1990's and Rangers spending went crazy in the late 90's early 00's with SPL clubs also spending to catch up. When crap EPL clubs like Wigan, who are roughly the size of Hearts and Hibs can play players 40,000 a week despite having vast amounts of empty seats your never going to win. Clubs like Celtic and Ajax who were power houses in the 60's and 70's now have to scout the next big thing before the richer clubs do and sell them on for profit after a couple of year in order to compete. This will remain the case until some form a salary cap or spending to debt ratio is brought in. When the Chelsea's and Man Citys of the world, who were never exactly huge clubs to begin with before their sugar daddy's bought them can spend that much money and do more on the pitch over the Ajax, Celtic and Dortmunds of the world who have large crowds and fanbases, you know something is wrong.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3qcnogeh said:
...or play as well as they did against Barcelona and Spartak. At the moment Celtic have nothing to lose. Pressure is all on Juventus. Celtic were told they would be lucky to qualify for the Group Stages, they were told they would be lucky to get a point in the group stages, that Scottish football was dead due to Rangers demise. At the moment we have a really young side who can only get better in my opinion. Lustig, Matthews, Forrest, Forster and Wanyama have great potential. I don't think Wanyama and Hooper will stay beyond this summer but I think our scouting network means I would be confident replace at least Hooper. Wanyama will end up at a really big club I think.

Scottish football which was once the 4th best league in Europe in the 70's has been completely gubbed since Sky started investing heavily in the EPL in the 1990's and Rangers spending went crazy in the late 90's early 00's with SPL clubs also spending to catch up. When crap EPL clubs like Wigan, who are roughly the size of Hearts and Hibs can play players 40,000 a week despite having vast amounts of empty seats your never going to win. Clubs like Celtic and Ajax who were power houses in the 60's and 70's now have to scout the next big thing before the richer clubs do and sell them on for profit after a couple of year in order to compete. This will remain the case until some form a salary cap or spending to debt ratio is brought in. When the Chelsea's and Man Citys of the world, who were never exactly huge clubs to begin with before their sugar daddy's bought them can spend that much money and do more on the pitch over the Ajax, Celtic and Dortmunds of the world who have large crowds and fanbases, you know something is wrong.

That is beyond the truth, Celtic have basically become this season's APOEL.

As for City, it's actually pretty funny how they've spent upwards of £500 million over the past 2 seasons, and all they've gotten to show for it was a cameo in the Europa League knockout stage last season, and a dead last finish in the CL group stage this year.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Gatehawk":32oxhyz6 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":32oxhyz6 said:

That is beyond the truth, Celtic have basically become this season's APOEL.

As for City, it's actually pretty funny how they've spent upwards of £500 million over the past 2 seasons, and all they've gotten to show for it was a cameo in the Europa League knockout stage last season, and a dead last finish in the CL group stage this year.

Same with Chelsea as well this year. Considering how much they have spent, the core of the team that won the Champions League last season was from Mourinhos time. Drogba, Cech, Terry, Lampard, Cole. If they are to progress they need to clear out at least Lampard and Terry who have constantly undermined every manager after Mourinho.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":chetgx83 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":chetgx83 said:
peachesenregalia":chetgx83 said:
Large John was aware.

How to win the European Cup ;)

That boys were being sexually abused on club-owned property. Nothing to laugh about.

Child abuse FC - ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.

Celtic boys club has nothing to do with the club. Get your facts right. Talking ill of the dead. How classy.

"ashamed of nothing, offended by everything" :roll: :lol: Sounds like your own club. Hope life in the third division is treating you well.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":v8n6glbk said:
Celtic Boys' club has nothing to do with the club? Catch a grip. It was a youth training scheme operated under supervision of Celtic FC. If saying that Big Jock knew what was happening and did nothing about it is talking ill of the dead, then I guess i talk ill of the dead. Joe Paterno was also aware and was a scumbag for not doing anything about it. I don't give a shit if they're dead, they were both scum who knew boys were being abused by someone in their organization and chose to do nothing.

There is absolute no proof in your claims That Jock Stein covered it up. Alan Brazil a victim of the abuse has even came out and said otherwise. To sign "who shagged all the boys week in week out for point scoring is just as sick.

Anyway this is the Champions League thread, you obviously don't like Celtic and there is no point lowering the tone of the thread. PM me if you need to.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Wow, that jumped up a notch....

Looking at the Celtic-Juve match, should be an interesting contrast in tactics. Juve plays that pacey 3-5-2, running up the flanks and pinging from the middle. Celtic runs a base 4-4-2, at times 4-5-1 (against Barca) crowding the center of the pitch

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2zr9votm said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2zr9votm said:
"ashamed of nothing, offended by everything" :roll: :lol: Sounds like your own club. Hope life in the third division is treating you well.

Third division is treating us very well, as it happens. the bankrupt SPL is not treating the great unwashed very well though, is it? missing all that rangers revenue, aren't you? hypocrites.

Serious question. Charles Green: Legit or bullshitter extraordinaire? He talks a good game. However, The new winding up order must be a worry considering he can't give a straight answer. The lack of a promised big money Adidas deal? The Dallas Cowboys hookup? Murray Park still being called the same despite the promises. War chests for the first division?

I don't care about the other SPL clubs to Hearts had issues when Rangers were still in the SPL.

Celtic's finances are fine. £20 million Champions League money with a free run at it for at least 3 more years. If they were in any danger Desmond would bail them out. I don't miss the Old firm games this year. I felt they were played too often the last few years. My feelings may change next season but right now it's quite refreshing. If the SPL collapses and it means an escape route to another league i'm fine with it.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I think Celtic have been unlucky so far, they've played better and it was a bad instance that led to Juve's goal

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How good are PSG? with Lavezzi and Ibra up top, Pastore and Lucas Moura running around underneath.... very fluid, pacey, creative.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Well that's us out. 3-0 was damn harsh though considering we pretty much dominated and somewhat flattered them. However, they were clinical in front of goal. Two of their goals were gifted to them by Ambrose who shouldn't have been playing considering he flew in from Africa that morning. Ref was abysmal, Juventus got away with man handling our players at corners time after time. We missed Samaras big time up front for his pace and height. Don't think Juventus will get past the next round.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":182blb7l said:
Show some class, Glasgow Seahawk. Oh wait, you're a Celtic fan....my bad.

Celtic fought admirably, but Juve's class showed through. It was an interesting Cinderella story for about a minute, but Celtic never stood a chance here.

I gave Juve credit, they were clinical with the few chances they had but the scoreline wasn't a good reflection of the game. Two of the goals put wrapped in a Christmas present for them by Ambrose. Still think a Dortmund, Madrid or Barcelona will take them apart next round.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Celtic-Juventus game wasnt as competitive as it seemed. Juve essentially let Celtic play into their centrally loaded defense (the ran a 3-5-2, with three solids centerbacks and two holding mids). Celtic dominated possession, but only in the build up. Juve waited, then hit Celtic on the wings as soon as possession changed. Classic counter attack approach against a team amped by the home crowd. The last two goals were something of a gift, but again Juve played the tactical game very well.

Still very impressed with PSG. There was more in that game than the two goals they scored. Was disappointed to see them concede late. Its interesting that any team Ibra is on seems to have a level of complacency in it, often in and out of one game. I think of Sweden's efforts during the Euros and friendlies (the games with England and Germany prime examples) as well last night.

Looking forward to this afternoon

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Juve did finish their chance far better than Celtic, but I can't help but feel Celtic were hard done by some lazy refereeing, the amount of pushing and shoving and jersey grabbing by Juve during corners would have been called any other day but this ref felt it was only necessary to book both sides when he saw it. Neil Lennon and Kris Commons seem to have felt the same way about the referee. Though Celtic are gonna feel they didn't help themselves either with the counters that Juventus scored on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2sik24fl said:
Juve did finish their chance far better than Celtic, but I can't help but feel Celtic were hard done by some lazy refereeing, the amount of pushing and shoving and jersey grabbing by Juve during corners would have been called any other day but this ref felt it was only necessary to book both sides when he saw it. Neil Lennon and Kris Commons seem to have felt the same way about the referee. Though Celtic are gonna feel they didn't help themselves either with the counters that Juventus scored on.

Wait, the losing coach felt he was undone by the ref? shocker... Lennon must have gone to the Sir Alex Wenger school of post game interviews.

The only time a foul is called in the box on a corner is by the offensive side. And even that is barely hinted. Sorry, those "missed calls" are typical of any match, from US High school soccer to the Champs League.

Celtic didnt help themselves because they were set up for failure. they failed to recognize Juve's strength going into the game and did little with the chances they didnt get. I like Lennon, and like Celtic overall, but Juve set them up all night. it paid off early and late. you will see a far different Juve team in Italy in early March.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27ak14o3 said:
Gatehawk":27ak14o3 said:

Wait, the losing coach felt he was undone by the ref? shocker... Lennon must have gone to the Sir Alex Wenger school of post game interviews.

The only time a foul is called in the box on a corner is by the offensive side. And even that is barely hinted. Sorry, those "missed calls" are typical of any match, from US High school soccer to the Champs League.

Celtic didnt help themselves because they were set up for failure. they failed to recognize Juve's strength going into the game and did little with the chances they didnt get. I like Lennon, and like Celtic overall, but Juve set them up all night. it paid off early and late. you will see a far different Juve team in Italy in early March.

Celtic's 3 biggest issues were 1: No Samaras, our top scorer in Europe. His pace has allowed us to counter attack in Europe and his aerial presence was missing. We were so one dimensional without him. If he plays in March you'll see a different Celtic offense, even with the tie over.

2: Taking the gamble on playing Ambrose and Forster and getting it wrong. The guy was just off an 8 hour flight after playing two days before and no doubt partying, hadn't trained with the team in weeks. Would have felt better if Rogne had played there. In turn he gifted Juventus two goals that were pathetic at any level of the sport. Forster isn't 100% fit and looked rusty at the goals but can understand why he played (our backup is not great).

3: Substitutions. Thought Lustig was having a great game until his injury and his replacement Matthews was shaky. Thought Commons was doing well when he got subbed, whereas Forrest was fading out the game. When both went off our game went to shit.