Trade Rice?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
To begin with, I love Rice
I love his toughness.

But is he the right receiver for Seattle? The answer is yes, except we have Tate. Basically both are not the deep down field receivers that demand double coverage.

Hawks really need a receiver that can break down field, that can demand double coverage and take a lot of pressure off of the other receiver.

Why I suggest Rice, is simply cost. He will be about 9 million next year?

Lets say for example than we get Wallace via FA, what about 12 million? Sure, a lot of money, but not that much more than what were paying for Rice.. ok maybe a little.

I don't know how much it will be to sign Wallace so, this is all speculation of course.

But what we get with Wallace.. is huge

Greater spacing in the middle of the field for Tate and the TE's
Greater Yard per catch.
Double team'd to get everyone else one on one.
a biggy here.. Less time Russell needs to look for a receiver, there by minimizing injury potential.
Bigger spacing for the runners to run through.

The benefits are huge.

Some bonuses.
We will be compensated for Rice. what we get.. I don't know, we gave a 1st for Branch.
Wallace has been pretty much injury free.
If we parlay it right, we could with the draft choice get one of those outstanding TE's (3) that are available, I'm likeing the kid from Cincinnati.

Travis Kelce.

Cincinnati senior Travis Kelce (younger brother of Eagles center, Jason Kelce) might have the most complete skillset of them all, though. A 6'6" 260 pound sledgehammer with speed and strength, Kelce will undoubtedly draw comparisons to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski as he goes through the pre-draft process.
Part of what makes Gronkowski such an impressive NFL tight end (and why Kelce compares favorably to him) is because he's a strong, technically sound, and tenacious blocker, and the Bearcats use his talents in a number of ways in their run game.

too.. THis gives us the best of all worlds as far as receivers go..
we have the
Pure route runner in Bouldwin.
helter-skelter receiver in Tate
and the Breakaway guy in Wallace.

Anyway,, thoughts?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Good reasoning, although I'd prefer Rice to Wallace. I can definitely see the advantage to having a deep threat, though. I just really like what Rice brings to the field. Wilson was frequently able to use Rice's height and accompanying catching ability as an advantage and he was also capable of getting behind the secondary on occasion. I think adding another pass-catching tight end is what would help this receiving corps the most. Miller had a huge impact in the last 4-5 games and I'd like to think that adding another tight end might help us pick up 10-20 yards at a time to march down the field in the manner we became accustomed to.

I'd also like to see another good season like the last one from Tate before getting too giddy about him. The talent is there, let's see more.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Best case scenario would be Rice our #1 (do-it-all receiver), Wallace our #2 (deep threat), Tate #3 (explosive YAC TD machine), Baldwin #4 (precise route runner, 1st down gainer, rotate to slot situationally) with Miller the TE (consistent catch in traffic chain-mover) and a rookie Draft pick on an more explosive seam stretching TE/H-Back in the Aaron Hernandez mold. With a FA signing at guard or RT, that'd be a legit of off season offensive make over. Unstoppable

Might seem like a waste to have Baldwin at #4 but with how often Sid gets hurt he will undoubtedly see alot of snaps eventually. Plus Tate is a FA soon and could command a hefty contract

garrylt4

Reaction score
I live a couple hours south of Pittsburgh and have a lot of family and friends who are Steelers fans and none of them want to resign him. Word is he is just big and fast. Cannot run good routes, takes plays off and drops as many as he catches. He's a diva that thinks he is so much better than he is. I pray we don't sign this guy.

sutz

Reaction score
I just love how people want to trade our best players away for perceived value elsewhere.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.

:229031_shrug:

pinksheets

Reaction score
It seems like Rice finds himself in bracketed coverage quite a bit. He's definitely a focus of opposing defenses. I'm not saying Wallace isn't an upgrade, but I don't think a team will part with a decent pick or player for Rice and his contract. If we sign Wallace, we'd be all but forced to release Rice, which would make his trade value all but nothing.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Looking at the stats alone, Wallace is a way better upgrade, there is really no comparison.

I love Rice and his grittiness, but Wallace is def a difference maker. He's not a perceived value else where..

Flynn would be a perceived value, Wallace is a tangible value, there's no question.

The thing is, you can't have both, way to much money tied up into assets that are not a real necessity as is our concern is at the DL.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I don't think a Wallace signing would force Rice to be released because he didn't have a role. The two could coexist and would actually thrive and benefit each other in my opinion.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
garrylt4":28ftfbrs said:
I live a couple hours south of Pittsburgh and have a lot of family and friends who are Steelers fans and none of them want to resign him. Word is he is just big and fast. Cannot run good routes, takes plays off and drops as many as he catches. He's a diva that thinks he is so much better than he is. I pray we don't sign this guy.

Have you looked at his stats?
I was reading about him dropping passes, and what they say is that he actually drops less passes than the league average.

You have to remember something here about Wallace, it's not just about him catching passes, he will be double team contstaantly. It's about him taking pressure off of Tate, so that Tate has a better chance of getting free.

Taking plays off? Of course he does.. he's playing for the Steelers, I'd want to take some plays off.. no way would he want to take ANY play off once he plays with RW :)

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I thought John Clayton had a great point on this the other day about why Wallace would not be a good fit here. It was about the number of throws per game and him already whining about the number of targets he gets. He continued on about the stats being important to Wallace and not being a team guy that Seattle has been targeting. I looked for a link I stopped after the third radio program that had different coments then the ones I heard. He then went on to explain that Snider is more likely to go for a WR in the draft and go after several DT in FA. Sorry no link

garydrake425

Reaction score
Dude Rice is a Seahawk and lets just keep it that way for awhile before we start with this. I'd like to get MW but not at Rices expense. How about getting rid of Obo, Martin, or some other dead weight. :141847_bnono: Sidney Rice. I was happy we got him and I'd hate to see him go.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This year Rice had to be patient while bringing along a rookie QB. I expect they will be on the same page next season and have bigger results. You don't trade a solid team first guy. They are to hard to come by. Look what happened to the jets after they traded Cotchery.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I disagree. Rice is 26, rarely drops balls, is tough, and actually gets open down field pretty well.

I'm excited to see what a full off-season of Wilson working with his receivers is going to do.

Axx

Reaction score
Rice has been open down field all year long for easy TD's, Wilson simply does not see him.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I know this is oversimplification, but we were a better team last year than Pittsburgh. I don't see us having gone any further with Wallace than we did with Rice. Our problem last year was a defense that failed with 30 seconds left. The offense was great for the last half of the season. Why get rid of your best receiver for a malcontent who may not fit in?

People act like Rice was a diva or griped. He raised his arms on one play when he was open by 30 yards in the endzone. I don't blame him. He was frustrated. He didn't get in a fight with his QB or coaches. He just saw a blown opportunity and was frustrated. End of story. He's a great teammate on a great team. Wallace is a whiner on an overrated team.

The grass is certainly not always greener. Sidney Rice was good enough to be the #1 receiver on a team that would have likely played in a Superbowl with a defense that could have held in 2 games but didn't. Focus should be on defense so that we can close games out.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I really wouldn't want to trade Rice ... I think he is a very valuable asset both in terms of skills and making the Seahawks a team. I think he will have a great next season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The only guys on this roster with excellent trade value, are not going anywhere.

No one is trading for Sidney Rice with the FA WR's available and the amount of talent in the draft. Besides.. why the hell would you move him when your next best option is Golden Tate?

cdallan

Reaction score
We don't have to make up fake dilemmas to pass the next 6 months or ask ourselves specious questions. There are literally three other things we could do, if count sleeping and rocking backwards and forwards whilst staring at a calendar. A few of us are making make-believe film, which is marginally less of waste of time than discussing the pros and cons of trading our best WR with the shaky injury history and the huge contract.