If/when we get rid of Flynn, would you want Hasselbeck back?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tech you have been saying that for years but the truth is Hasselbeck was #3 in the league on the deep ball his first year with the Titans and among the top with completions and bottom for Int's on those throws.

I keep seeing the "we want someone who can run Wilson's offense but that is not going to happen. There is a reason athletic QB's are rare in the league. This isn't a simple scheme that even Russell Wilson can run, it is a scheme developed to RW's strengths. Finding a QB that can run this system with any efficiency would be a stroke of luck. Did Philly go out and find a backup that could run Vick's system? It's rare for a reason and a pipe dream to think we are going to find someone we can just drop in and they will be able to do even a little of what Wilson is doing.

Realistically I kind of doubt the Titans will let him go. Yes he is scheduled for a pretty big payday if they don't but Locker has yet to prove hes is the franchise guy and yet to stay healthy. They also don't currently have another suitable backup to replace him.

I know English wants to say nobody dislikes Matt but I don't believe that is true. Matt for some reason brings out the hate is some. My brother who knows little about football would openly tell you he hated Matt. Didn't have a reason other than to make the standard "he has a weak arm blah blah blah. I took it with a grain of salt from him because if you ask him who Matt was throwing to he would get that deer in the headlights look and try to change the subject but for whatever reason, he couldn't stand Matt and I have seen the same type of opinions from others.

It always blows e away that Tarvaris Jackson got more respect from some even in here and the guy never did anything to deserve it yet he had followers from other teams and members here that give him more respect than the guy that took us to a super bowl.

Donn2390

Reaction score
If everyone is so anxious to have him back sign him to a one day conract and retire him. In no way does he fit the direction this team is headed.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":28024nnr said:
I keep seeing the "we want someone who can run Wilson's offense but that is not going to happen. There is a reason athletic QB's are rare in the league. This isn't a simple scheme that even Russell Wilson can run, it is a scheme developed to RW's strengths. Finding a QB that can run this system with any efficiency would be a stroke of luck. Did Philly go out and find a backup that could run Vick's system? It's rare for a reason and a pipe dream to think we are going to find someone we can just drop in and they will be able to do even a little of what Wilson is doing.

Nobody is claiming the team needs to acquire an exact replica of Russell Wilson. The point is more about having to change as little as possible. Having Hasselbeck as the backup means a complete sea change in approach, whether that's coming in mid-game or for 2-3 weeks. A quarterback with a stronger arm and greater mobility means less change. It's not a pipe dream to expect there's a QB out there who can be more elusive, throw a nice deep ball off play action and run a little read-option or pistol better than a 38-year-old Matt Hasselbeck.

It's all about making life as easy as possible. Not about guaranteeing there won't be any drop off if Wilson gets injured or misses time.

And even if there are a few weirdo's out there like your brother who 'hate' Matt Hasselbeck, the majority definitely don't feel that way. However, there probably are a lot of people very frustrated that once again we're talking about him on this forum, with people making such ridiculous suggestions like he should take the victory formation at the Super Bowl or should take up a roster spot as the #3 because he was 'robbed' in XL and deserves a free ride. We're not a charity, here to give Hasselbeck, Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander Super Bowl rings. This is a new era of Seahawks football and it's time... to... move... on.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting a victory formation or bringing him back for nastalga sakes, I've seen Pete and John's idea of a mobile/strong armed QB in Tarvaris Jackson and I don't believe for a second if Wilson were to get injured we would run any pistol or Option type plays because you don't want to run the risk of losing your backup also, not to mention the obvious reason that it isn't as simple as just being mobile and strong armed.

My opinion is if you could get Matt here on the cheap he would be better than anything else available 38 years old or not. We didn't ask Wilson to throw the ball hardly at all this year until the Atlanta game. That is what you are going to hope for from your backup as well. Just like every other team with a mobile QB, your backup is going to be asked to play it safe and take what is given while you rely on your running game and defense to hold the game in check.

I know Juhn made a statement in regards to finding a backup more in Wilson's mold but reading between the line a little, I suspect that was his way of saying we are open for trades for Flynn and not that he actually thinks he can find Wilson 2.0 to keep things rolling as is. Any backup we bring in will be asked to stay in the pocket and not take risks.

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
if your frustrated we are talking about it "again" (some of us have never talked about it) then hey, dont read this topic genuis. its pretty clear in the title whats its about. if this annoys you, or frustrates you, move on. fact is, having hasselbeck on this roster is not going to hold this team back. If wilson goes down for any length of time, the season is likely shot anyways. Its really just a what-if question to pass the time, and maybe reflect on some of peoples fav players of the past. some of you are taking it waaaay to seriously. Matt has been to a SB and many playoff games, to think/say he would have nothing to offer this team is just stupid imo. its not like we are brining him in to start. but, its likely not going to happen anywayz, just something to talk about

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
RichNhansom":40pkawzd said:
I'm not suggesting a victory formation or bringing him back for nastalga sakes, I've seen Pete and John's idea of a mobile/strong armed QB in Tarvaris Jackson and I don't believe for a second if Wilson were to get injured we would run any pistol or Option type plays because you don't want to run the risk of losing your backup also, not to mention the obvious reason that it isn't as simple as just being mobile and strong armed.

My opinion is if you could get Matt here on the cheap he would be better than anything else available 38 years old or not. We didn't ask Wilson to throw the ball hardly at all this year until the Atlanta game. That is what you are going to hope for from your backup as well. Just like every other team with a mobile QB, your backup is going to be asked to play it safe and take what is given while you rely on your running game and defense to hold the game in check.

I know Juhn made a statement in regards to finding a backup more in Wilson's mold but reading between the line a little, I suspect that was his way of saying we are open for trades for Flynn and not that he actually thinks he can find Wilson 2.0 to keep things rolling as is. Any backup we bring in will be asked to stay in the pocket and not take risks.

+1

if matt plays, the experience would be invaluable, and we would likely run the ball alot and rely on our defense. no he isnt as mobile, but he's still pretty accurate, and he gets the ball out quick, which i love

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I think if we lost Wilson for the season and we rolled out 38 year old Hasselbeck we would be screwed.

Dude is just old. This isn't 2005 here people. I saw the pill bug impersonation way too many times his last few years here to want to see that again. And oh let's not forget the turnovers.

Maybe if we had a time machine.....

Uploadfromtaptalk1360486374049

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":1k9og0hg said:
if your frustrated we are talking about it "again" (some of us have never talked about it) then hey, dont read this topic genuis. its pretty clear in the title whats its about. if this annoys you, or frustrates you, move on. fact is, having hasselbeck on this roster is not going to hold this team back. If wilson goes down for any length of time, the season is likely shot anyways. Its really just a what-if question to pass the time, and maybe reflect on some of peoples fav players of the past. some of you are taking it waaaay to seriously. Matt has been to a SB and many playoff games, to think/say he would have nothing to offer this team is just stupid imo. its not like we are brining him in to start. but, its likely not going to happen anywayz, just something to talk about

Whateverz i is goin to talkz wivout gramma in this post. itz not happenin anywayz bruva.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This could be moot as Mort keeps saying that other NFL teams do not appear to have interest in Matt Flynn as a starter.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Hass never played for this coaching regime, so his connection to the organization right now is the same as any other aging veteran QB. I love the guy but the only reason we could bring him back is for sentimental reasons to the fans.

Sac

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":hstnja59 said:
Hass never played for this coaching regime, so his connection to the organization right now is the same as any other aging veteran QB. I love the guy but the only reason we could bring him back is for sentimental reasons to the fans.

You must not remember the Beast Quake game where Hass threw for 4 TDs

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":die4o6gd said:
I think if we lost Wilson for the season and we rolled out 38 year old Hasselbeck we would be screwed.

Dude is just old. This isn't 2005 here people. I saw the pill bug impersonation way too many times his last few years here to want to see that again. And oh let's not forget the turnovers.

Maybe if we had a time machine.....

Well then who is it you think we wouldn't be screwed with if we had to run them out there for an entire season?

I love the pill bug statement. One of the things Wilson is praised for is his ability to avoid the big hit, IE: a different form of the pill bug. You can't have it both ways. If you don't like a QB who avoids contact then you must not like Wilson either, I guess? PS" I think our O-line might be a little bit better than the gang of crap Matt was playing behind and we also aren't relying on Charlie Martin and Julius Jones as options either. Matt can still get the ball out quickly and accurately so with decent targets and an actual running game, especially if our defense doesn't put us in dire need to force huge plays, we probably wouldn't require any backup to try and carry the team. At least that is the goal, so if you are wanting your backup to come in and keep things rolling who do you suggest

This is just a conversation of what if's, it is not the new direction we want the team to go. We are talking about a guy we hope doesn't see the field but if he has to can come in he does not completely kill the team. When Locker went down Matt was still able to win games and that was with a much worse team surrounding him. Here we are looking for a backup that wouldn't be required to carry the team but rather could keep it functioning. I believe Matt could do that better than most any backup QB that is available right now. If you disagree please tell me who you think could be a safer bet. Keep in mind some want Tarvaris Jackson to come back as our back up. If you wanna see a team screwed if the starter goes down for any time, that is the best suggestion I could think of. I would rather have Curtis Painter here than Jackson.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2yam3u1f said:
Hawk4lyfe":2yam3u1f said:

Whateverz i is goin to talkz wivout gramma in this post. itz not happenin anywayz bruva.

Nice response there English. Well thought out and formulated. You gotta love .NET for bringing intelligent conversation to the forefront and it is posts like yours that really help this place be the leader of the blogisphere (is that a word?) . Thank you for your well thought out input.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1t7orzlf said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1t7orzlf said:
Hawk4lyfe":1t7orzlf said:

Nice response there English. Well thought out and formulated. You gotta love .NET for bringing intelligent conversation to the forefront and it is posts like yours that really help this place be the leader of the blogisphere (is that a word?) . Thank you for your well thought out input.

I think you'll find it made an equal amount of sense as the post I was replying to.

I've made my points on this issue and don't feel the need to repeat myself.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2eo0eur9 said:
AbsolutNET":2eo0eur9 said:

You must not remember the Beast Quake game where Hass threw for 4 TDs

You mean when we had a different offensive coordinator, QB coach, and offensive system? Yeah I remember that.

At least you used a large sample size over the past few years to form your argument.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Lol! Matt Hasslebecks pill bug impersonation is no way comparable to Wilson's escapability. Lol

One can't get away or sense the pressure in time, the other is a master at it.

Lol. Whatta homer for Hasselbeck you are.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If Hass hadn't played for the Seahawks before and attained the status he did with this team, there is not a SINGLE ONE of you who would be suggesting we bring him in. Think about that. Think about what that means for the value he would represent to the team.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
volsunghawk":vzb6hv7s said:
If Hass hadn't played for the Seahawks before and attained the status he did with this team, there is not a SINGLE ONE of you who would be suggesting we bring him in. Think about that. Think about what that means for the value he would represent to the team.

I completely disagree.

Latest posts