Percy Harvin's Availaibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Flynn and a 2nd rounder sounds great to me. No WR in the draft better than Harvin, and he could be our return man when leon's done.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but I want our FO to be able to afford bringing back our stars when their rookie contracts expire.

I don't think we are in a good position financially to make this move.

AgentDib

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1dnarj9d said:
Flynn and a 2nd rounder sounds great to me. No WR in the draft better than Harvin
Value is what matters when you are building a team under the constraints of a salary cap. Thanks to the rookie wage scale there will be quite a few WRs in the draft who are much better values than Harvin would be.

Any team that trades for Harvin is going to need to work out a $10-$12 million/year contract with him and then deal with his migraine issues and attitude problems. On the other hand, that second round pick that you want to give up is going to net us a promising young rookie who we will pay just $1 million/year for four years. That value is worth it's weight in gold and is the reason why the teams that draft well win Super Bowls while the ones who sign expensive FA's miss the playoffs.

Imagine if we had six second round picks. We could draft a high upside WRs, a stud TE, a young QB with upside to backup Russell, a good weak side LB and a lineman on both sides of the ball. Their combined salary would be just half of what it would take to pay Harvin. Our only problem is that we do not have as many second round picks as we would like and there is no reason why we should give up the one we do have just to overpay somebody else.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I agree with almost everything you just said. However we're talking about 1 2nd round pick not six, Harvin will impact our team more than a 2nd rounder (Russell Wilsons excluded). And there's always ways to manipulate cap to keep your core guys, look at the patriots. We are going to have roster turnover but i'd rather have Harvin than Sidney. The vikings think so to, even being intimate with Harvin's issues.

JonRud

Reaction score
After reading a lot of this thread and thinking about it - put me in the camp of bring Harvin to Seattle. I think with a talent like him our offense would be pretty much unstoppable and only help the defense that much more.

I understand the risks with Harvin - but I think he is worth it. You can't always play it safe if you want a Championship. Harvin could put us over the top next year. Do it!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
While I agree that there is some talent in the draft this year, I'd argue that unless you hit on one of the two receivers that end up being game changers that contribute the entire year and are able to consistently get separation and run routes like a veteran, you are much better suited adding a bonefide GAME CHANGER that a defense HAS TO gameplan for. The Seahawks are already right there, we are ready to push for a Superbowl now, not in two years when a rookie develops, but this season, a healthy and motivated Harvin with Russell Wilson would be a "championship move". Go Hawks.

JonRud

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1cee84az said:
While I agree that there is some talent in the draft this year, I'd argue that unless you hit on one of the two receivers that end up being game changers that contribute the entire year and are able to consistently get separation and run routes like a veteran, you are much better suited adding a bonefide GAME CHANGER that a defense HAS TO gameplan for. The Seahawks are already right there, we are ready to push for a Superbowl now, not in two years when a rookie develops, but this season, a healthy and motivated Harvin with Russell Wilson would be a "championship move". Go Hawks.

Agree 100% with this. If we have to overpay a few guys to make that final push for the Super Bowl do it. There are no guarantees of anything down the line, and as great as JS has been in the draft, a rookie WR may never turn out to be what Harvin can be. I say go for the Super Bowl.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Harvin is set to make 2.9 million in the last year of his deal, and it seems he wants north of 10 million per year in his new deal.

No doubt it would cost at least a second to get him, plus half the free cap Seattle has right now. The move would make us probably the odds on favorite for the title, though. It would probably handicap any efforts to fix the D-line through free agency, so there are risks.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Here's a quick summary on Minnesota's predicament with Harvin by the guys who cover the Vikings at Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Questions continue to loom about Harvin's future as a Viking
Posted by: Dan Wiederer
Updated: February 10, 2013 - 6:12 PM

Last year, around this time, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier kept hearing about Percy Harvin.

First, while coaching the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and later at the 2012 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Frazier was repeatedly approached by opposing coaches, who in casual conversation just kept mentioning how much of a headache it was to defend Harvin.

The energetic slot receiver was just so slippery, so dynamic, so explosive.

does NOT include Harvin as mentioned earlier:
https://twitter.com/VikingsFootball/status/294097370336079872/photo/1

Edited by radish. Note: you cannot post an entire article. a couple of sentences or a small paragraph is all and then link to the original article.

Some of you still do not realize the copyright laws prohibit anyone from printing articles that are propertys of someone else. It puts the site at risk for copyright infringement, so please remember!!

Chawker

Reaction score
I'd like to see us draft a WR instead of over paying for a FA thats not what we truely need. Let me throw a name at you, Darrel Jackson. If we could draft a young player of his caliber, which Jackson was a second rounder, we could mover Tate to the slot and coupled with our current offence. "M-O-N-E-Y" Draft Rogers in the third round! Plus we could draft Ertz in round 1.
Harvin..... please no way.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Sounds to me like all Harvin wants is a real quarterback. Pete's a player's coach, make it so.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just like the way JS rolls with PC. I trust that no matter what these guys do, that they won't over-commit to anyone. The way they draft is just amazing. This team in its current form is primarily built of recent draft picks, I don't see them doing anything crazy for one player in FA.

If they see Harvin as a valuable cog, I'm certain they will entertain some interest, but I am more excited for the draft than anything.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Percy is a better version of Golden Tate and the way Tate is improving who knows for that long that will be true. What we need is a number one receiver, tall strong and fast that stretches the field if Sidney goes down for a game or more, we can very likely find this on this years draft on the second round.

So giving up a second rounder and half of our cap for a receiver the vikings don't want makes no sense to me.

spend half our cap on two DL guys, draft a TE WR in rounds 1 and 2 and at least two more DL in the early rounds and we will find the promised land

bestfightstory

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":102ljxpt said:
Percy is a better version of Golden Tate and the way Tate is improving who knows for that long that will be true.

C'mon, man. Golden isn't catching Harvin. They aren't even close to the same player.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
We can't afford him without losing some key players down the road. We're in the much more cost-effective business of making big name players now; not taking them.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Why pay Larry Fitzgerald money to a guy who will only be PART of an above average receiving core?

We already know dude will hold out from TC without the new contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Harvin is intriguing, especially if we could get him for a 2nd round pick (which I highly doubt).

But acquiring Harvin does three things;

1. Makes Tate expendable, which means 3 yrs of developing him goes down the drain.
2. Still doesn't address our need for a "X" receiver opposite of Rice. Someone that plays wide ALL THE TIME, and stretches the defense with speed.
3. How much of a cap hit would Harvin be?.......and would his signing mean we can't upgrade the lines, which should be priority #1.

If getting Harvin means having a harder time signing free agent line help and lessens our ability to re-sign and restructure contracts for other key players next year. Then my answer is no.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If posters are convinced that he would not be a malcontent if we traded for him, what about trading for him and NOT immediately signing him to a new deal and only have him for the remaining 2013 $2.9 million contract?

We would then get the "all in approach" that i'm seeing the pro-Harvin camp advocate, while not ruining our cap space when we need to start resigning guys after next season.

I doubt this would work based on Harvin's desire to hold out if he stays with the Vikings but it does seem to be a compromise.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":2y7xsle1 said:
I dunno about you guys, but I want our FO to be able to afford bringing back our stars when their rookie contracts expire.

I don't think we are in a good position financially to make this move.

It is reasonable to think Harvin will command between $7M-$10M per year. What you also have to consider is when we trade Flynn his Base Salary is $5.2 Mil and Ben Obomanu's is not likely to be on the roster this season and his base salary of $2.3M is expandable. So $7.5M of new cap space would make it fairly easy to get Harvin on board and barely touch our current cap space ($18.6M).

18.5+7.5= $26M

Another possibility is that Harvin makes Leon expandable and his base is $1.5M.

26+1.5=$27.5M

So those that don't want to sacrifice our current cap situation should not worry, now if you were already expecting $27.5M is cap space and still don't want Harvin, then I ask who are we going to spend that on? and how much do we really need to roll over?

I'd be willing to spend
$8M Harvin
$4M Branch
$4M Jones
$5M FA DE/DT
That leaves us $6M to rollover to next year and that's assuming Branch and Jones are back.

What are we worried about???

redhawk253

Reaction score
this would be a pointless trade as the seahawks already have a poor man's Harvin in Golden Tate (they are both coming up on new contracts.. Harvin is going to cost about $8-10 mill a year.. Tate will be less than half that). they are nearly identical players Harvin just has better speed.. Tate is on the upswing however and proved to be clutch this year scoring some big tds and was the only guy on seattle that displayed good YAC. My guess is he continues to improve as he and Russell Wilson have become very good friends and hang out on the regular with their wives.. Seahawk's management isn't stupid.. they will keep their draft picks and let that chemistry build into something special.. not to mention mike wallace in free agency is a much better option for the seahawk's if they want to improve the receiving core.. he has played sandlot ball in pittsburgh for the last several years and has the speed we need to stretch the field on deep balls.. rice and wallace on the edges and tate in the slot would be DANGERUSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.