Percy Harvin's Availaibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
bestfightstory":12x8vge9 said:
I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.

Sooo...do i hear you saying that Pete and John are "between a rock and a hard place"?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2wb3y4eh said:
bestfightstory":2wb3y4eh said:
I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.

Sooo...do i hear you saying that Pete and John are "between a rock and a hard place"?

No. Not necessarily. If they don't want him all things considered, then I'm sure they've made the right decision for their vision of this team.

I just think Harvin is a talent I don't want to face twice a year. Whether he is with the Niners or the Rams.

And that isn't to say I am afraid of the guy-I just think he drastically improves any offense in the NFL.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that it does not take multiple years to develop youth in today's NFL. Rookies can come in and make an impact right away depending on the willingness of the coaching staff to devote resources to them. For each developmental prospects that is really raw there is another guy who has had four years of excellent modern college coaching and is as fast and strong as he will ever be.

Fans in this discussion seem to have been influenced too much by Tate's slow development and not nearly enough by all of our other rookies who have made instant impacts. Why is Tate more influential than Baldwin, who became one of our best two receivers was one of our best two receivers as an undrafted rookie?

BFS":1mecj299 said:
I just think Harvin is a talent I don't want to face twice a year. Whether he is with the Niners or the Rams.
Best case scenario is the 49ers paying him $12 million per year and then him missing our games with migraines, or throwing tantrums when he doesn't get the ball enough. He is very talented but there are lots of skilled but expensive FAs who have not produced up to the level of their contract, and whoever trades for Harvin will be paying him FA money.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1yvmsya5 said:
Bigpumpkin":1yvmsya5 said:
bestfightstory":1yvmsya5 said:

No. Not necessarily. If they don't want him all things considered, then I'm sure they've made the right decision for their vision of this team.

And that isn't to say I am afraid of the guy-I just think he drastically improves any offense in the NFL.

Sooo....I guess that we fans must wait until March 12th to learn of our fate?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
misfit":3r9wrv7p said:
Harvin is a #1.

Seattle has not had a true #1 WR since Steve Largent.
If Steve Largent was in his mid 20's and playing for us right now, there would be a lot of people arguing he's not a #1 receiver.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
You all who don't want Harvin really need to listen to BestFightStory. He knows more about the Vikings than he knows about the Seahawks, and he knows more about the Seahawks than the rest of you combined.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Good Article by La Canfora at CBS
"...I understand the injury concerns. I understand some of the issues of attitude and clashing with coaches. But I have talked to enough of his teammates to understand some of Harvin's frustrations with the lack of a full-bodied offensive attack with the Vikings, and to a man his teammates say he is driven to win. He can be immature and he's made some mistakes, but no one this talented hits the trade market this young unless there have been a few bumps in the road.

I'd take my chances with him.

In terms of yards after the catch, his numbers last season were nearly identical to those of Darren Sproles, again, without being a part of an offense nearly as balanced as the New Orleans', and without Drew Brees getting him the football. All he's done is average a ridiculous 6.4 yards per carry in his career. He has five career return touchdowns. His average of 74 scrimmage yards per game -- from 2009 to 2012 -- puts him right with receivers like DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson, and among all players with at least 50 rushes and 100 receptions since 2009, Harvin's average of 10.3 scrimmage yards per touch is far and away tops in the NFL..."

Basis4day

Reaction score
Not for 10 million a year. This is salary cap football. Not fantasy football (Credit to John Clayton).

lukerguy

Reaction score
Basis4day":354gbpga said:
Not for 10 million a year. This is salary cap football. Not fantasy football (Credit to John Clayton).

If you are able to consider that he is only due 2.6 this year then a 3 year extension at 10 MM per year isn't too bad- Save cap space next year and roll it over so that the 10 MM doesn't hurt so much. 32.6/4 is 8 MM per year. You can get creative with the cap so that we can cut/trade him in the final year if he's not producing (or can't afford him), then it's more like 7 MM per year.

Harvin is a guy I wouldn't worry about the money. I'd cut a guy like Rice in a heartbeat in two years if it came down to picking a 25 year old blue chip prospect vs a 30 year old WR...problem solved.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
lukerguy":1so1b1s0 said:
Basis4day":1so1b1s0 said:

If you are able to consider that he is only due 2.6 this year then a 3 year extension at 10 MM per year isn't too bad- Save cap space next year and roll it over so that the 10 MM doesn't hurt so much. 32.6/4 is 8 MM per year. You can get creative with the cap so that we can cut/trade him in the final year if he's not producing (or can't afford him), then it's more like 7 MM per year.

Harvin is a guy I wouldn't worry about the money. I'd cut a guy like Rice in a heartbeat in two years if it came down to picking a 25 year old blue chip prospect vs a 30 year old WR...problem solved.

Rice is two years older than Harvin.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I know I've said before that I don't think Harvin comes to Seattle BUT if PC and Bevell are going All In the next few years then they might pull the trigger.

Vikings 2009: Bevell's offense=>Brett Favre, Rice, Harvin and Peterson.
Seattle 2013: Bevell's offense=>Russ Wilson, Rice, Harvin and Lynch? +better depth and better defense.

Durability-wise Harvin missed only a handfull of games prior to being placed on IR the last half of this year.
If he acts up, Harvin still retains good trade value in the next several years because of his talent, versatility and youth.

All In? We'll find out in March....

themunn

Reaction score
Wary of paying number 1 money to a guy that's never had a 1000 yard season.

Last guy we did that for?

Deion Branch

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I'm wary of paying BIG money for a backup QB whose only job is to call a coin toss but some folks seem okay with that too.

Harvin's proven to get nearly 700 yards receiving in half-season while also rushing from scrimmage and having returning duties.
Harvin has proven to be a quality #1 receiver in Minny for the last several years even with incompetent QB play. He HAS EARNED IT.
If 1000 yards receiving happens then that's great given RW's propensity to spread the ball. We need scores and over-the-top talent if we wanna do this right.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1npwfcny said:
I'm wary of paying BIG money for a backup QB whose only job is to call a coin toss but some folks seem okay with that too.

We paid Matt Flynn what the market dictated. We hadn't yet drafted Russell Wilson. Don't forget that. Wilson will only make around 500,000 next year so our total money invested in Quarterbacks will be about 6 millions dollars next year. That is NOT big money in the QB position, and that's assuming we even keep Flynn.

I'd rather be smart with our money like the Packers or Patriots than throw up a prayer in FA like the Jets and Eagles.

I'd be happy as anyone if we brought in a Harvin, Bowe or Wallace because PC/JS know a hell of a lot more than any of us. But you need to be smart about the cap. You want to go all in for a Super Bowl next year, fine. But if you can't guarentee me a Superbowl with one of these WR additions i'm going to prefer Salary Cap Football to Fantasy Football.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Basis4day":c5wlq9n6 said:
We paid Matt Flynn what the market dictated. We hadn't yet drafted Russell Wilson. Don't forget that. Wilson will only make around 500,000 next year so our total money invested in Quarterbacks will be about 6 millions dollars next year. That is NOT big money in the QB position, and that's assuming we even keep Flynn.

LOL.. You mean we have nearly 6 MILLION tied up in our backup QB for next year. Those two QBs aren't Siamese twins and are NOT package deals. Sheesh. Gimme a gamechanger for $6-10 mil any day rather than a $6 mil player sitting on the pine. I hate to have you run my buzness fella.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
And you say you'd rather be smart like the Pack and Patriots. News for you-->Patriots are probably front runners on the Harvin trade deal. For some reason many teams including the Pats think that Harvin is worth the big bucks. Good luck trying to pawn off Flynn's contract.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1ccd7cdv said:
Basis4day":1ccd7cdv said:

LOL.. You mean we have nearly 6 MILLION tied up in our backup QB for next year. Those two QBs aren't Siamese twins and are NOT package deals. Sheesh. Gimme a gamechanger for $6-10 mil any day rather than a $6 mil player sitting on the pine. I hate to have you run my buzness fella.

Which is why he likely won't be here next year. Again, we signed Flynn BEFORE we drafted Wilson. That's why his contract is where it is. What were we supposed to do last season, cut Flynn and eat his salary which would still count against the cap? Smart "business" plan.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1ukvbp2t said:
And you say you'd rather be smart like the Pack and Patriots. News for you-->Patriots are probably front runners on the Harvin trade deal. For some reason many teams including the Pats think that Harvin is worth the big bucks. Good luck trying to pawn off Flynn's contract.

Flynn's contract is rather reasonable starter money and he likely won't be back next year.

Re: The Pats. They are letting Welker walk. He made $9.515 in 2012. They can go after Harvin because that's the around the same amount that Welker would be making, and the same position on the field. Again, it's called smart cap management.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yea. No need for history lessons I understand how we got to this point with RW and Flynn. I've been following RW and Flynn for more than just the past season. I bring up Flynn because he has a big contract and big following for a relatively unproven guy. His his contract was more than twice that of Harvin's who's a contributor in almost every way on Minnesota's offense AND special teams.
And I agree that our situation with Flynn will be resolved this off season as he may be traded for a late round pick or be cut/restructure his deal. Heck even Minnesota isn't showing interest in trading for Flynn--they probably think Ponder is a better talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.