Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: How do the Seahawks handle potential Lynch DUI penalty?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

I am sure once the season gets closer and Lynch's DUI is finalized in court the team will know if they need to do anything, but assuming he pleads guilty or is convicted, does the team carry a mid-level or draft pick RB and start Turbin?

I usually don't do the let's sign player x from y team but I wonder if a play for Bradshaw makes any sense? I would think that he wants to be a starter so coming here wouldn't work. Turbin showed he was capable but does the team draft a 4th round RB who matches what Turbin gave last year or do they try picking up some journeyman RB for the 4 games Lynch should get for his DUI conviction?

I don't think Lynch is going out for the year, since the other suspension was for conduct and not drugs/alcohol but you never know until Goodell reveals the penalty. I believe Lynch's penalty would be for 1st time offender of the drug/alcohol policy and warrant only the 4 game penalty. Goodell could tack on but I am not clear what the CBA says in this area.

What would you do to cover the RB position starting off next season?

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post subject: Re: How do the Seahawks handle potential Lynch DUI penalty?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am 
NET Bench Warmer

Let Turbin start. Who knows how far he'll carry that opportunity. I could easily see Pete putting the ball in his hands, giving him a few brief words of encourage, and sitting back while Turbin makes the most of his chance.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am 
* Glitter over Knives *

I wouldn't want to use a draft pick on a RB... I'd hope we could garb an FA to split carries with Turbin and Washington/FA.

And, frankly, as much as I would miss watching Lynch, I wouldn't mind easing his workload by four games, if it came to that. Turbin could use the carries and Lynch could use the health come playoffs.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 am 
NET Veteran

I think Marshawn will get what Cedric Benson got for his misdemeanor assault charge a few years ago. He got a 3 game suspension but ultimately had it reduced to 1 game.

With that being said, I think it's great that a suspension would have to be carried out this season and not this past one. Turbin's got another year under his belt and I think he'd do a fine job of filling in for 'Shawn for a game or a longer period of time. I'd give Leon some more touches and then sign Vai Taua to be the #3 back and to give Turbin a breather every once in a while. I liked what he brought to the table.

Bradshaw would be interesting but like you said, I don't think he'd want to come here to be Marshawn's backup and possibly Turbin's backup as well depending on how he develops this offseason.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am 
NET Veteran

Where is this 4-game assumption coming from?

Four-game suspensions are associated with PED violations.

If convicted, Lynch is likely facing a one-game suspension... or maybe two games... but certainly not four games.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am 
NET Starter

If Lynch gets suspended, Turbin will carry the rock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

onanygivensunday wrote:
Where is this 4-game assumption coming from?

Four-game suspensions are associated with PED violations.

If convicted, Lynch is likely facing a one-game suspension... or maybe two games... but certainly not four games.

Hmmm, it was the number kicked around last year when he got the DUI. If it is only a max 2 games I would guess the team would deal with it similar to how the Bengals dealt with the Benson suspension. Consider this a rough draft, I am sure this topic will come into focus after the case is handled.

Let me go do a little more homework and less dependency on my recollection of things.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

I was sure that the commissioners office had already stated that he will not be suspended. I will look for it but IIRC he went and met with Goodell and there was not going to be any suspension based on that conversation.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am 
* Glitter over Knives *

Somebody in this thread is INCORRECT, that's for damn sure!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

So this early piece has Lynch missing a potential 6 games, so most likely the number will be in flux until the actual penalty is announced and any appeal is heard

Quote:
Lynch’s DUI incident could result in another suspension by the NFL and force him to potentially miss six games in the upcoming season. His charge on Wednesday increases the likelihood of an NFL suspension, particularly with his criminal history, though until now he had stayed out of trouble during his two years with the Seahawks.

Here is the link to this particular version of what is expected. Again, early WAG at what the author thought the potential suspension would be.

Here is an article from Lynch's meeting with Goodell where no suspension is being considered at this time but could be once the trial ends

Quote:
Lynch already had his meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell in response to the latest incident, sources said, and the league is not suspending him. The NFL will wait for the legal case to be resolved -- which is likely going to occur some time in 2013 -- so Lynch is in the clear this season. Should he get arrested again, or run afoul of the law, things could change, and the league reserves the right to reconsider matters

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 am 
NET Bench Warmer

Lets see. For free agents this year we have Steven Jackson (too expensive), Reggie Bush (good citizen?) Shonn Green or Mike Goodson? The last two might fit. Felix Jones is also available, but don't think he has gas left.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

CALIHAWK1 wrote:
I was sure that the commissioners office had already stated that he will not be suspended. I will look for it but IIRC he went and met with Goodell and there was not going to be any suspension based on that conversation.

I read the "no suspension" as "at this time". Just poised the question early but it doesn't seem to have much juice at this time. I am sure it will pick up later this summer. I don't think Lynch is Scott free but exactly what is TBD.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

drdiags wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:

I read the "no suspension" as "at this time". Just poised the question early but it doesn't seem to have much juice at this time. I am sure it will pick up later this summer. I don't think Lynch is Scott free but exactly what is TBD.

Such tiresome surname bigotry, I got your Scott free.

It kind of sounded like the case was shaky anyway, but the early 6 game guesses were way offbase. I would expect one or two if there is a conviction. I am with others, and would like to see Lynch carry less of the load so he is fresh for playoffs. I would love to see Turbin get a bigger opportunity.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 am 
NET Rookie

Marshawn has probably the best DUI lawyer in the state and won't be charged with anything. A friend of mine hired him for a DUI he received this year. The guy blew a .2, was videotaped by the cop falling over during the sobriety test and the case was thrown out (didn't even get his license suspended). This is also the same guy that's kept Freddy Montero out of jail.

That being said.. if he isn't charged by the state, could he still get suspended?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am 
NET Veteran

mech.romance wrote:
Let Turbin start. Who knows how far he'll carry that opportunity. I could easily see Pete putting the ball in his hands, giving him a few brief words of encourage, and sitting back while Turbin makes the most of his chance.

Just wanted to quote this because I think that if he gets suspended that this would be the outcome, and perhaps it wouldn't be a terrible thing. Marshawn could use the rest.

That said, I don't think he's getting suspended. He's stayed out of legal trouble, and "social" trouble since coming to Seattle - and the dude blew a .08, right? And I heard somewhere else this was after coming back from a charity event as well? And finally, the stuff he got in trouble with before (in Buffalo) was all conduct related, and this falls under the alcohol and drug portion of the CBA, right?

He'll be good to go.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Scottemojo wrote:

My bad. Next time I will use James free. That way ... oh wait, then I would have Roland giving me lip. Note to self, step up your game and drop the old school phrasing.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

drdiags wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

My bad. Next time I will use James free. That way ... oh wait, then I would have Roland giving me lip. Note to self, step up your game and drop the old school phrasing.

FYI, it is supposed to be a racial insult, Scot free. Evidently the Scots are (undeservedly I am sure) known for pinching a pence or two.

Edit: I lied. It is a racial insult based on the Dred Scot decision.
I think that might be worse, actually.
2nd edit, I see Diags has it correct. a tax thing.

Last edited by Scottemojo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Scottemojo wrote:
drdiags wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

FYI, it is supposed to be a racial insult, Scot free. Evidently the Scots are (undeservedly I am sure) known for pinching a pence or two.

Plus I spelled it wrong

Quote:
First off, let's set the record straight on the expression itself -- it's actually "scot-free." And contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with Dred Scott or the Scottish.

Sceot is the Old English for "a tax." Scot and lot was a medieval muncipal tax levied on residents. Someone who managed to avoid paying this medieval tax got off "scot free."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

This has been an oddly educational thread

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Scottemojo wrote:
This has been an oddly educational thread

The Doctor is all over the map, making dead end threads and other time wasting activities. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am 
NET Pro Bowler

I have full confidence in Turbin. They will probably draft a young guy as well, but Turbin should be fine for a few games.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:03 pm 
NET Starter

Turbin and Washington- no worries if its just one or two games.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 pm 
NET Veteran

bestfightstory wrote:
I wouldn't want to use a draft pick on a RB... I'd hope we could garb an FA to split carries with Turbin and Washington/FA.

And, frankly, as much as I would miss watching Lynch, I wouldn't mind easing his workload by four games, if it came to that. Turbin could use the carries and Lynch could use the health come playoffs.

Spot on BFS. Lynch is a warrior but his back problems will likely come on fairly quickly. I truly believe we're poised for a SB run and I'd like him fresh for the playoff run. Frankly, I don't think he has two full seasons left in him so let's make hay while we can. I love the guy but these carries are taking their toll on him with his style of running.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
NET Veteran

LUMPKIN.

I just loved saying that guy's name. Bring him back, dammit.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/scot%20free.html The term doesn't have to do with Dred Scott at all. It refers to tax.

Anyway just don't let Lynch fly the team jet or drive the bus and I'm satisfied. He can do community service pounding 49ers into the turf.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Quote:
He can do community service pounding 49ers into the turf.

Well .... this member of the community would certainly appreciated that service. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:35 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

With Russell Wilson's development into a major weapon i am not overly concerned.

We will miss Lynch but we arnt the same team that started last year. Wilson will not allow the team to falter

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 am 
NET Veteran

PlinytheCenter wrote:
bestfightstory wrote:

Spot on BFS. Lynch is a warrior but his back problems will likely come on fairly quickly. I truly believe we're poised for a SB run and I'd like him fresh for the playoff run. Frankly, I don't think he has two full seasons left in him so let's make hay while we can. I love the guy but these carries are taking their toll on him with his style of running.

People keep predicting Lynch to decline because of his back problems. In fact, I think I recall people saying that they would impact his game this past season.

And all he did was put up his best season ever and get Pro Bowl and All-Pro nods.

Now, I'm not saying that he's going to be an Emmitt Smith and play until his late 30s, but I think the predictions of Marshawn's demise are premature. Guy's been playing with his back issues his whole career, and he seems to be able to keep it going pretty damn well.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 pm 
NET Veteran

bestfightstory wrote:
Somebody in this thread is INCORRECT, that's for damn sure!

Yeah, let's go 'garb' somebody who knows. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm 
NET Veteran

If we trade for Harvin this becomes much less of an issue..Let Harvin and Turbin split 50/50.

"We all we got, we all we need"

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]