Percy Harvin's Availaibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
In theory, and assuming the VERY best case scenario, it would be great for the Hawks to trade for Percy Harvin and add him to our offensive arsenal.

In reality, the very best case scenario rarely happens, especially for high-priced FA WRs hat switch teams... they just don't produce to the same level on their new teams as they did on their old teams.

My vote is "Pass".

Let's not ruin a good thing (Rice, Tate and Baldwin) for a potential great thing that never comes to pass.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Vikings will not make Ponder compete for job
Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Christian Ponder will not face competition for his starting job in 2013 camp.
Mortensen recently spoke to Frazier, who said Ponder is locked in for 2013. "Leslie Frazier said, 'Go look at his games in December,'" Mort relayed. "There were a couple of games in December where they saw the Christian Ponder they drafted. ... They really believe Ponder will continue to get better. He is the starter going into the season. They expect nothing to change that. No competition." The Vikings will try to upgrade on backup Joe Webb, but it now seems doubtful that they'd seriously pursue Matt Moore, who is free agency's top quarterback.

There goes the whole Flynn+ for Harvin thought..

pinksheets

Reaction score
The Vikings organization is a debacle, has been for a while. Coddling Ponder is a terrible mistake.

drdiags

Reaction score
I've come around on this. Was concerned about the cap implications and the ability to sign current core of young players, but I am not going to sweat it. If signing him impacts retaining one of the young guys, the FO didn't plan properly and that would be their fatal flaw. Miller and Rice, with the contracts they have currently look to be cuts or contract modifications in the next few years whether Harvin signed here or not. Same with Red and/or Mebane. However, the talent Harvin has cannot be denied.

I wouldn't want to see a Branch-like deal and it sounds like the Vikings may only get a 2nd or 3rd, if you trust LaConfora's latest post.

Personally don't like players who have sideline tantrums but not going to get bent about it. Signing him does put Leon at risk, but he is at risk anyway. I could see a Baldwin or Tate moving on. Baldwin is like a Steve Breaston-type from the Fitz/Boldin/Breaston days. He has some good intangibles but more talent at the position can only make the offense that much more lethal.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":v1z4ztel said:
Harvin wants too much money.

This.

Rumor has it he's asking for something similar to what Megatron has. Happy hunting, Percy.

hawker232

Reaction score
It would be great if we could afford him, but bottom line is we can't.

Too bad they're so sold on their shitty quarterback... Flynn's about as good a trade piece we could ask for.

Rat

Reaction score
hawker232":ztzetphc said:
It would be great if we could afford him, but bottom line is we can't.
Based on what? Our cap situation is fine and none of our core players have contracts that expire in the next few years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks are missing a "X" receiver. A split-end type of receiver. Harvin is not that. Harvin is a slot type just like Tate and Baldwin are. So is Tavon Austin in draft (so I don't see them going after him at all). There are too many slot type of receivers on the team already. If they get Harvin then Tate or Baldwin (maybe both) would need to go. They become expendable. So trading for Harvin makes little sense. He's great but not at the price and they already have Tate and Baldwin. While not as great as Harvin, they are still good and progressing plus considerably cheaper.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
He may "want" Megatron money, but he isn't going to get it...not even close.

Dude needs to look at his injury history and adjust his reality. He doesn't miss a lot of games on the whole, but he is always coming up gimpy.

Obviously we would all love to have him, but in reality I think we need a bigger/faster coverage buster more so than a Harvin type. He is similar to Tate (not saying Tate is the same as Harvin, so all you vultures calm down).

Spokane

Reaction score
YES he wants Magatron money, do you expect him to say, ".Net thinks I am like Baldwin, so give me Baldwin type cash"

Start high and meet in the middle, any other move would make him look stupid.

We have no clue what the market will pony up for a superstar WR who has issues in 2013, but it will be fun to watch.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
You can't possibly get megatron money as you're being traded. Doesn't make sense.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I understand he won't get megatron money, but how will that affect him? He feels he deserves that type of money. There's already rumors he may hold out and he's been having locker room issues in Minne. Sure we can trade for him and it won't cost much now but, I think it will only be a rental. Why trade for that and lose a high pick in the meantime? I don't think one guy is going to put this team over the top, and if so, it won't be Harvin.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have been hard on this receiving group, my perspective is we finally have a QB, we are just beginning to see a relationship begin to develop with them. Baldwin and Tate are just beginning to learn the Pro game and producing, they will get better still once they can learn to play Wilson ball and where to be on his roll outs and coming back. Rice is playing healthy for the first time in a few years and will only keep showing us his capabilities as that relationship gets better. As this group Gells and can react instinctively we will see a very solid group that will make coverage of them a nightmare with Miller underneath and running seams.

themunn

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2ofdkmms said:
I'm wary of paying BIG money for a backup QB whose only job is to call a coin toss but some folks seem okay with that too.

Harvin's proven to get nearly 700 yards receiving in half-season while also rushing from scrimmage and having returning duties.
Harvin has proven to be a quality #1 receiver in Minny for the last several years even with incompetent QB play. He HAS EARNED IT.
If 1000 yards receiving happens then that's great given RW's propensity to spread the ball. We need scores and over-the-top talent if we wanna do this right.

So that's what we're reduced to, targetting big money FAs that have proven they're "good" over half a season?

"Nearly" 700 yards in 9 games when he's the only receiver on the team better than awful is not particularly impressive - he made 62 catchs compared to Sidney Rice's 50 and ended up with less yards. Hardly an indication of a terrific "YAC guy"

SNDavidson

Reaction score
themunn":rkivyo2p said:
Russ Willstrong":rkivyo2p said:
"Nearly" 700 yards in 9 games when he's the only receiver on the team better than awful is not particularly impressive - he made 62 catchs compared to Sidney Rice's 50 and ended up with less yards. Hardly an indication of a terrific "YAC guy"

^^^ wrong ^^^

Now if you want to say he's too expensive, that would be understandable.

hawker84

Reaction score
Harvin is one of the best recievers in the League period... is he worth Megatron money? maybe not, but he's up there.. injuries is my only concern with this guy.. as far as ability , not too many guys in this league are in his class.... not sure he would be a good fit here, but he would be a upgrade to any recieving core.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if some of you will admit Tate cand hold a candle to Harvin when he's tearing up the NFL as a 9er. :49ersmall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts