Draft rumors 2/13/13 edition

kearly

Reaction score
These are just grabbed from places like rotoworld or draft insider, but may be news to some:

Tyler Wilson a 3rd rounder?

"Several teams" have a third-round grade on Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson, according to draft insider Tony Pauline. (kearly's comment): Wilson also had the smallest hands of any QB at the Senior Bowl: 8 and 5/8's inches. Most GMs have a 9 inch cutoff point.

Arthur Brown at #58?

The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah asked "sources to name one player not projected to go in the first-round" and Kansas State LB Arthur Brown's name was suggested. "Brown lacks ideal size, but he still excites evaluators," Jeremiah said, adding that he projects as an ideal fit at weakside linebacker. "One scouting source compared him favorably to Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David. Brown is currently slotted to go late in the second or early in the third round."

Vance McDonald's hype builds

NFL draft legend Gil Brandt tweeted Rice TE Vance McDonald might be his top sleeper in this year's class. "He'll come out of next week's NFL Combine as one of the stars," [Brandt] wrote. The Rice product was a favorite of Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, and despite a few drops during the week of practice, McDonald impressed with his mobility in Mobile.

NFL scouts tell the National Football Post's Russ Lande that they would be surprised to see Rice TE Vance McDonald make it out of the second-round.

Brandon Williams early 2nd round pick?

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl wouldn't be shocked if Missouri Southern State NT Brandon Williams is selected in the first 40 picks.

Damontre Moore draft stock shocker

The National Football Post's Russ Lande has not spoken to an NFL scout who grades Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore in the first-round. (kearly's comment): wow.

Some love for Hopkins

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler spoke with one NFL scout who liked Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins more than his projected mid-to-late first-round slot. The scout "raved" about the Clemson product. Hopkins' best trait is his willingness to go up and get targets at the catch point, with strong hands and good body positioning. He creates separation by setting up his routes, and Hopkins has deceptive long speed.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Was just looking at Brandon Williams - 6'2" 341!

Plays all over the line (you know Pete sprouts wood when he reads that), 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, three time All American

Dude is an athlete at that size, quick and ferocious.

Cons - not great against the run as you would think from a big man

If he goes to the combine and tears it a new turd tunnel, may be gone before we pick in Round #2.

I would love him becoming a Hawk (of course I will probably say that about 45 other players before the draft)

GCrow

Reaction score
I would love Arthur Brown at 25... if he fell to 58 i'd be doing backflips.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ox01xae said:
Man I want Hopkins so badly.

:13:

Last year I wanted Wilson worse than any prospect ever. Needless to say, I shitted bricks when his name was called at #75. I wouldn't quite put Hopkins on that same tier of "I'd sell my left testicle to get him", but yeah, if we don't pick him, it's going to hurt. And if the 49ers get him, it will ruin the draft for me.

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":wd2k2y6z said:
Blitzer88":wd2k2y6z said:

Last year I wanted Wilson worse than any prospect ever. Needless to say, I shitted bricks when his name was called at #75. I wouldn't quite put Hopkins on that same tier of "I'd sell my left testicle to get him", but yeah, if we don't pick him, it's going to hurt. And if the 49ers get him, it will ruin the draft for me.

Did you really? Impressive.

Do you have any links to your comments from last year's draft?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Thanks for putting those quotes together for this post.

I wonder if that Arthur Brown quote will prove true. I have my doubts, but it would be sweet. Assuming we get some DL help in free agency, how amazing would it be to get Hopkins and Brown with the first two picks?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Vance McDonald's hype builds

NFL draft legend Gil Brandt tweeted Rice TE Vance McDonald might be his top sleeper in this year's class. "He'll come out of next week's NFL Combine as one of the stars," [Brandt] wrote. The Rice product was a favorite of Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, and despite a few drops during the week of practice, McDonald impressed with his mobility in Mobile.

NFL scouts tell the National Football Post's Russ Lande that they would be surprised to see Rice TE Vance McDonald make it out of the second-round..[/quote]

McDonald is a guy who will impress at the combine because he has the ideal size and mobility you look for in a Y tightend, but I'm still not sold on him to make an impact at the next league, mostly because of his receiving ability. His 2011 tape reminded me of Anthony Mccoy in that he constantly dropped easy passes. Now, I haven't seen any 2012 tape but it sounds like he still having trouble securing the ball.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":a5vsjoww said:

I can vouch for Kip. He posted several pieces highlighting how much he liked Wilson and believed he would be a success despite the height issues. I think the terms used were things like, "Ideal quarterback for this offensive scheme" and how he was the perfect point guard that Carroll was looking for.

Veilside

Reaction score
kearly":21ynpq07 said:
Blitzer88":21ynpq07 said:

I too went ballistic when I heard Russell Wilson's name called, but mostly just because I was regurgitating your analysis since I don't do a whole lot of research other than amateur eye test viewing and stats. Needless to say I also really want Hopkins and I'm hoping he'll fall to us at #25.

My friends think I'm a football profit from the information I get from this site lol.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2t2qurf2 said:
lukerguy":2t2qurf2 said:

I can vouch for Kip. He posted several pieces highlighting how much he liked Wilson and believed he would be a success despite the height issues. I think the terms used were things like, "Ideal quarterback for this offensive scheme" and how he was the perfect point guard that Carroll was looking for.
I'll vouch too. I remember Kip being almost ga ga over Russ and thinking to myself 'OK, I saw him at Wisconsin and he did look good. But really? That good?' To answer my questions from this time last year....um yeah, that freakin' good (obviously)! His TD to int ratio was off the charts as a senior and that to me is always a really good indicator of seeing the field well and making good decisions, a trait we now know he posses in spades.

If only you could do that with lotto numbers eh Kip?

So if you guys like Hopkins that much, I'm rooting for him too. I let guys like Rob (English) and Kip do the scouting and recommending for me and then root accordingly on draft day. :mrgreen:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3iialvtg said:
lukerguy":3iialvtg said:

I'll second this. Kip, among a couple others (sorry cant remember who), we're the only posters who had the balls to say Wilson deserved to be ranked near the top of last years draft class.

I think to be fair, many, many people saw the talent that Wilson was. I mean, it wasn't hard to see. Their were tons comments on him having the "it" factor and how he'd be a top 5 pick if he was 6' 3", but people just couldn't get over his lack of size. Kip not only saw past his size, but focused on what he could do in the offense we were trying to build.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
The day Wilson was drafted, I embarrassed myself gushing over him in this article on Rob's blog. I'm thankful that I never got the "future Mrs. Wilson" tag at .net for it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":2sist66r said:
The day Wilson was drafted, I embarrassed myself gushing over him in this article on Rob's blog. I'm thankful that I never got the "future Mrs. Wilson" tag at .net for it.

Awesome stuff. That's very impressive Kip- I must say. I like to think that I was well versed in our needs and wasn't at all upset with the pick but wasn't elated. You were right.

So this year, we agree on the same pick Hopkins. Anyone else you feel that way about? Khaseem Greene for me- however I think he may go in the top 40.

GCrow

Reaction score
Try to add to this topic here,

Keenan Allen Slipping? (From Tony Pauline's site)

February 14th
- I am told Keenan Allen/WR/Cal has not looked anything special in combine training nor has he separated himself from the almost dozen wide outs he’s working out with in Florida. Its not that Allen has been bad rather he does not show the “wow” factor you want to see in a potential top twelve pick.

Also little tidbit on Escobar

- From the tight end class sources tell me Gavin Escobar of San Diego State is still rough around the edges yet has caught everything in site the past few weeks.

zayden185

Reaction score
kearly":1o7hz0ah said:
Blitzer88":1o7hz0ah said:

I think you SHAT bricks

zayden185

Reaction score
lukerguy":10xfqwac said:
kearly":10xfqwac said:
Blitzer88":10xfqwac said:

What's the going rate for a leg testicle?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Veilside":35o8x6og said:
kearly":35o8x6og said:
Blitzer88":35o8x6og said:

I too went ballistic when I heard Russell Wilson's name called, but mostly just because I was regurgitating your analysis since I don't do a whole lot of research other than amateur eye test viewing and stats. Needless to say I also really want Hopkins and I'm hoping he'll fall to us at #25.

My friends think I'm a football profit from the information I get from this site lol.

What he said :) I fell in love with Wilson based on what I read here and at SDB and from what I learned after that. I was bummed about Irvin but loved Wagner, Wilson and Turbin. Of course the fact that I'm short didn't hurt Russell's stock with me either :p

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Figured I'd add this here as a rumor post:

"@Bischoff_Scott: Hearing that Seattle likes Louisiana Tech RT Jordan Mills a lot, earlier than you would think. He fits their running style perfectly."
https://twitter.com/bischoff_scott/stat ... 4316392448

Currently graded as a round 3-4 prospect on nfldraftscout.com

(Mods, maybe we can get a sticky thread going for all draft rumors?)

cover-2

Reaction score
During this past season Vance McDonald was a player I liked and thought he was off the radar/underrated, but now its to the point to where I think he overrated. 2nd round is a round or two too early from what I have seen of him.