Percy Harvin's Availaibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I've thought about this for a while before deciding to throw my opinion into the fray. At the end of the day, I just don't see it. Yes, Percy Harvin is one of the best receivers in the league and one of the most electrifying players in the league, period. There's no denying that. However, am I willing to sink a 2nd round pick and mass amounts of dollar dollar bills y'all at him? NO. Here's why... (half joking, but still pretty serious)

1) His "rap sheet" goes way beyond his time in Minnesota. Dating back to his days at Florida, he's the type of entitled star athlete that I absolutely can not stand. From trying to Sprewell/Carlesimo one of his coaches, to throwing a weight at Brad Childress. The man is a loose cannon. I'm not sure whether you can trust a guy like that on a Super Bowl caliber team? His whole career screams Andre Rison. I wonder what female celebrity will slash his tires and torch his house?

2) I don't like the message it sends to the rest of the team. You bring in this whiny little bitch and pay him a ton of money while other guys who have done more for the shirt are making peanuts. Not a fan of that.

3) It's much more fun to destroy the will of a man like Percy Harvin and watch him whine on the sidelines than to actually have him on your team. That act would get tired REAL QUICK.

4) I'm sure Pete Carroll would set him straight, but why mess with a good thing chemistry wise?

5) If John Schneider can find our franchise quarterback, lord and savior, in the 3rd round than why can't we just find our own Percy Harvin? The Packers drafted a reasonable facsimile in Randall Cobb and it only took them a 2nd rounder. I'm content with keeping the focus on the defense, shoring up the defensive line and LB spots that need shoring up, and especially the pass rush while also supplementing the offense with a shiny new toy somewhere along the way. I get that Harvin, in essence, would be costing us that same 2nd rounder that the Packers were able to snag Cobb with, but Cobb comes free of headaches (pun intended) and baggage. I'd much rather go that route.

Of course, as I told JonRud, if the Hawks did trade for Harvin and could sign him to a reasonable deal I'd be elated. Who am I kidding. He's a rare talent. However, if it were up to me (and aren't you all glad it's not), I'd stay away from Percy.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I can always get down with rational arguments from 'the other side' and NYCoug just laid it down. Well done. Can't argue with that logic, if that's your viewpoint/philosophy. There are always 'ifs' to both sides of any argument.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I know that Harvin is extremely gifted but if we do sign a FA, I want it to be DL for pass rush and then draft a WR/LB/OL.

lukerguy

Reaction score
NYCoug":3q2sebts said:
I've thought about this for a while before deciding to throw my opinion into the fray. At the end of the day, I just don't see it. Yes, Percy Harvin is one of the best receivers in the league and one of the most electrifying players in the league, period. There's no denying that. However, am I willing to sink a 2nd round pick and mass amounts of dollar dollar bills y'all at him? NO. Here's why... (half joking, but still pretty serious)

1) His "rap sheet" goes way beyond his time in Minnesota. Dating back to his days at Florida, he's the type of entitled star athlete that I absolutely can not stand. From trying to Sprewell/Carlesimo one of his coaches, to throwing a weight at Brad Childress. The man is a loose cannon. I'm not sure whether you can trust a guy like that on a Super Bowl caliber team? His whole career screams Andre Rison. I wonder what female celebrity will slash his tires and torch his house?

2) I don't like the message it sends to the rest of the team. You bring in this whiny little bitch and pay him a ton of money while other guys who have done more for the shirt are making peanuts. Not a fan of that.

3) It's much more fun to destroy the will of a man like Percy Harvin and watch him whine on the sidelines than to actually have him on your team. That act would get tired REAL QUICK.

4) I'm sure Pete Carroll would set him straight, but why mess with a good thing chemistry wise?

5) If John Schneider can find our franchise quarterback, lord and savior, in the 3rd round than why can't we just find our own Percy Harvin? The Packers drafted a reasonable facsimile in Randall Cobb and it only took them a 2nd rounder. I'm content with keeping the focus on the defense, shoring up the defensive line and LB spots that need shoring up, and especially the pass rush while also supplementing the offense with a shiny new toy somewhere along the way. I get that Harvin, in essence, would be costing us that same 2nd rounder that the Packers were able to snag Cobb with, but Cobb comes free of headaches (pun intended) and baggage. I'd much rather go that route.

Of course, as I told JonRud, if the Hawks did trade for Harvin and could sign him to a reasonable deal I'd be elated. Who am I kidding. He's a rare talent. However, if it were up to me (and aren't you all glad it's not), I'd stay away from Percy.

While I'm on the pro-Harvin side, I agree with some of your points and disagree with others.

1) It is what it is...and you're right. You don't want any character issues. One redeeming quality of Percy is that he is a 'fierce competitor'. I've heard from multiple sources that this is the root of most of his 'rap sheet'. He doesn't have a blatant disregard for authority.

2) Asking for money doesn't make you a "whiny little bitch". 80% of the stars in this league make a stance like this at one point in their career. Is Clem a "whiny little bitch"? He held out...Percy has never held out.

3) I'll skip this one because it's not exactly an argument.

4) I will never be concerned with Chemistry as long as PC is our head coach. He has an uncanny ability to bring people together for a common purpose of competing. Percy hasn't messed with any chemistry in Minnesota. Ask all of the players what they want, they want him to stay and they have been vocal about it.

5) You aren't going to find a person of Harvin's God-Given abilities in the 3rd round. I would venture to say that you could grab Austin in the 1st round and he may compare long term, but even Randall Cobb is not Percy Harvin. Harvin is one of a kind..he really is that gifted.

NYCoug

Reaction score
lukerguy":1wsr5r3f said:
NYCoug":1wsr5r3f said:

While I'm on the pro-Harvin side, I agree with some of your points and disagree with others.

1) It is what it is...and you're right. You don't want any character issues. One redeeming quality of Percy is that he is a 'fierce competitor'. I've heard from multiple sources that this is the root of most of his 'rap sheet'. He doesn't have a blatant disregard for authority.

2) Asking for money doesn't make you a "whiny little bitch". 80% of the stars in this league make a stance like this at one point in their career. Is Clem a "whiny little bitch"? He held out...Percy has never held out.

4) I will never be concerned with Chemistry as long as PC is our head coach. He has an uncanny ability to bring people together for a common purpose of competing. Percy hasn't messed with any chemistry in Minnesota. Ask all of the players what they want, they want him to stay and they have been vocal about it.

5) You aren't going to find a person of Harvin's God-Given abilities in the 3rd round. I would venture to say that you could grab Austin in the 1st round and he may compare long term, but even Randall Cobb is not Percy Harvin. Harvin is one of a kind..he really is that gifted.

I don't think he's a whiny little bitch for asking for money. I think he's a whiny little bitch for the tantrum he threw on the sidelines this year vs. the Hawks and for walking out on his team at the end of the season even though they were in the playoff hunt, and eventually made it in without him.

Also, normally you'd say that can't find someone of Russell Wilson's abilities in the 3rd round, but it happens. Richard Sherman in the 5th round? He's arguably the best player at his position and he was had in the 5th round. Harvin's not the best player at his position so I'm willing to venture that they could do the same work and find the next Harvin. It's possible to find amazing natural talent later in the draft, there are so many examples.

Let me throw an example at you. I work at a bar, obviously extremely different from being an NFL receiver. If I were to try and choke out my boss because I disagreed with them, I'd be fired and would have a hard time finding another job. I wouldn't get labeled a "fiery worker" like it's some sort of good thing. Sprewell didn't get labeled a fiery competitor. I don't get how people can try and explain that away. How is that NOT blatant disregard for authority? Normally, I'd say who really cares about "authority" but there's human decency and something like that lacks in human decency.

lukerguy

Reaction score
NYCoug":16ciy3yn said:
lukerguy":16ciy3yn said:
NYCoug":16ciy3yn said:

I don't think he's a whiny little bitch for asking for money. I think he's a whiny little bitch for the tantrum he threw on the sidelines this year vs. the Hawks and for walking out on his team at the end of the season even though they were in the playoff hunt, and eventually made it in without him.

Also, normally you'd say that can't find someone of Russell Wilson's abilities in the 3rd round, but it happens. Richard Sherman in the 5th round? He's arguably the best player at his position and he was had in the 5th round. Harvin's not the best player at his position so I'm willing to venture that they could do the same work and find the next Harvin. It's possible to find amazing natural talent later in the draft, there are so many examples.

Let me throw an example at you. I work at a bar, obviously extremely different from being an NFL receiver. If I were to try and choke out my boss because I disagreed with them, I'd be fired and would have a hard time finding another job. I wouldn't get labeled a "fiery worker" like it's some sort of good thing. Sprewell didn't get labeled a fiery competitor. I don't get how people can try and explain that away. How is that NOT blatant disregard for authority? Normally, I'd say who really cares about "authority" but there's human decency and something like that lacks in human decency.

There are ways around that though. You act like Carroll doesn't have any balls to discipline players. I would venture to say that this would never come up, but if it did you can bet Carroll would not hesitate to suspend or discipline Harvin. There's no way Carroll would lose his players by being too soft.

The incident with Harvin and WR's coach at UF was never confirmed but only reported. Meyer said the report was overblown but it was an incident. If it did indeed happen, then shame on Meyer for setting a terrible precedent in the young player's career. Any respectable coach would have suspended a player multiple games if that was the case.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Well, word on the street is that that's the kind of program Urban Meyer runs but we'll never know so let's not speculate.

And Pete has balls alright, big balls, I don't doubt that he'd discipline a player in a heartbeat. He's cold blooded. Having said that, why invite that kind of distraction in the first place? Look at the elite passing games around the leauge, most don't have that true #1 superstar receiver. I don't think we really need one either, especially one with Percy's track record.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The problem with the pro "let's go after Harvin" camp on this forum is they can't assure us that signing Harvin won't impede on signing more important players in a year or two or more important D-Line free agents this off season.

So if signing Harvin means we won't be able to keep the Legion of Boom together in 2014 or 2015, then my answer is no. If Pete and John can make it work with dumping Flynn and Washington's salary and maybe trading Tate because he now becomes expendable with Harvin in the slot?...................AND we don't have to give up too many draft picks? Then yes, I'm down with this.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z8exyszz said:
The problem with the pro "let's go after Harvin" camp on this forum is they can't assure us that signing Harvin won't impede on signing more important players in a year or two or more important D-Line free agents this off season.

So if signing Harvin means we won't be able to keep the Legion of Boom together in 2014 or 2015, then my answer is no. If Pete and John can make it work with dumping Flynn and Washington's salary and maybe trading Tate because he now becomes expendable with Harvin in the slot?...................AND we don't have to give up too many draft picks? Then yes, I'm down with this.

Perhaps, but look at our top contracts...Rice and Miller. It may simply mean Harvin vs. Miller or Harvin vs. Rice rather than Harvin vs. Chancellor, Thomas, Sherm...ect

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":1lxcbob7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1lxcbob7 said:

Perhaps, but look at our top contracts...Rice and Miller. It may simply mean Harvin vs. Miller or Harvin vs. Rice rather than Harvin vs. Chancellor, Thomas, Sherm...ect

Maybe, but then you're adding by subtraction. Sure you'd be strengthening the slot receiver/return game........but now you're greatly weakening the other WR slot, or TE slot. Neither of which we can afford to get weaker at.

Harvin's a great talent, I just don't think he fits with what Pete and John are trying to do............which is rely heavily on developing their own guys through the draft that fit a particular skill set for a particular position. Add in the fact that we'd have almost 20 million tied up in two WR's with Rice's contract, and that's WAY too much for a team that runs the ball 50-60% of the time.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawknballs":7c8xypgx said:
I don't think Harvin makes a lot of sense for us. So far Golden Tate has been durable, so while you can claim Harvin is a bigger playmaker, it's a wash to me because of injury and migraine headache issues.

I whole-heartedly believe we need to add another receiver to the mix. I think Harvin would be a great add for any team, but the kind of receiver we need is a durable, sure-handed guy that fights for the ball and catches it every time. We basically need Anquan Boldin.

There is one factor to consider though - some speculate SF as a landing spot for Harvin. I don't know about you, but Kaepernik-to-Harvin isn't a matchup I want to have to face if I can help it.

If Harvin isn't really the kind of receiver we need, is he at least good enough to go after to also keep him from going to SF?

Hell no, if he's gonna pop Harbaugh!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2pzr7fso said:
I don't think Harvin makes a lot of sense for us. So far Golden Tate has been durable, so while you can claim Harvin is a bigger playmaker, it's a wash to me because of injury and migraine headache issues.

I whole-heartedly believe we need to add another receiver to the mix. I think Harvin would be a great add for any team, but the kind of receiver we need is a durable, sure-handed guy that fights for the ball and catches it every time. We basically need Anquan Boldin.

There is one factor to consider though - some speculate SF as a landing spot for Harvin. I don't know about you, but Kaepernik-to-Harvin isn't a matchup I want to have to face if I can help it.

If Harvin isn't really the kind of receiver we need, is he at least good enough to go after to also keep him from going to SF?

We'd only have to face that matchup one game a year even if we played them three times because Harvin spends half his time on the DL.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
CPHawk":2vnmw24w said:
I wonder if some of you will admit Tate cand hold a candle to Harvin when he's tearing up the NFL as a 9er. :49ersmall:

It is perceived that the Niners are the likely landing spot for Harvin as we have the extra picks that will be needed to acquire him from the Vikings. And also that we will be freeing up cap space by making roster adjustments.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I'm starting to like Tate too much for him to become an expendable piece in our offense. Harvin may be a better athlete, but Tate is more fun to watch IMO.

If Harvin lands with the Niners, I think the Hawks D will be up for the challenge. After all, we finished him up for the season last time we played him. And maybe he'll throw Harbaugh to the ground once in a while.

Basis4day

Reaction score
NinerLifer":39gjknl8 said:
We will have probably 14 picks in this years draft, with I believe 3 3rd rounders if I am not mistaken.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/0 ... aft-picks/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/san-franci ... --nfl.html

Don't think too many teams would want to see Harvin in a Niner uniform next year.

People don't want to play against Harvin, period. Same with any good player. That's hardly a reason to go after a player solely so your competition can't. On the other hand i think most coaches/players/GM's like to think that they're good enough to stop any player.

Bidding war and driving up the price though, absolutely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":r6xqnste said:
Bidding war and driving up the price though, absolutely.

This is key if Harvin does eventually go to the Niners. If he goes to them, I want them to pay dearly with lots of draft picks and a huge bloated salary.

themunn

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1ohzyrqa said:
themunn":1ohzyrqa said:
Russ Willstrong":1ohzyrqa said:
"Nearly" 700 yards in 9 games when he's the only receiver on the team better than awful is not particularly impressive - he made 62 catchs compared to Sidney Rice's 50 and ended up with less yards. Hardly an indication of a terrific "YAC guy"

^^^ wrong ^^^

Now if you want to say he's too expensive, that would be understandable.

So 551 of his 688 yards came after that catch, that means that he was catching the ball on average 2 yards past the line of scrimmage - or (more accurately), catching a high proportion of screens and dumpoffs which are DESIGNED for generating yards after the catch, also why the leader is a running back

Status
Not open for further replies.