"Real" Mock Draft

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Kam is a good example. I wanted Kam more than other player that year because, while he didn't do everything well, the things he did do made me say "wow." I liked him more than Taylor Mays, and people thought I was crazy, but mays had no wow factor his last year in college.

Same with ET vs. Berry. I had ET ranked higher because of his range, and fact that he made more wow plays.

I'm just not sure about Austin. It's hypocritical for a Seahawk fan to say "a guy that size has never done it in the NFL" but seriously, how many 5'8"' 170lb receivers would you label as elite NFL talents? But maybe he's the one, and if they/you think he is truly exceptional, by all means, take him.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Steve Smith comes to mind. I don't care how tall he's listed. The dude is TINY. Believe me. Besides Austin is a guy who plays multiple positions. Last time I checked up on such things, they were both listed as the same height (5'9") and Austin is as filled out at this point as Steve was in college and has room to fill out more. He's an "athlete" like Devin Hester. He will likely be a returner for a while and will be put in at different times and different positions. You design plays for a guy like that. He gets the ball, he moves fast, he's slippery.

He reminds me very much of Barry Sanders in his movement, but as a receiver. High praise indeed, but if you can get the ball to him on a screen play and let him run, then why not? I've seen him catch the ball across the middle and break double digit tackles for TD's. That can't be taught. He doesn't take many hits because he's slippery. He catches the ball because he has amazing hands. When I was a kid there were 2 guys playing as returners and receivers that were about 5'6". One was on the Browns, one was on the Chargers. Sorry I'm blanking on their names. I think one was Little Train James. Anyway, they were good players and played fine.

If Austin is 5'8" and Steve Smith is 5'9" and one of the most durable receivers in the league (and Smith passed the eyeball test with me as I watched his career at Utah) and was ten feet away from him on the sidelines when he busted his neck. I saw him again later on with screws in his skull wearing a full halo... I've never doubted a guy who was small again... because Steve made it and has been tremendous for years. I see Steve Smith in Austin, but with the ability to play RB, KR, slot, run fly patterns, whatever. He's fast and moves great with the ball. He doesn't take a lot of big hits (if any) because he's too busy getting to the endzone.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like Tavon too and think he can do all that plus the things that Jacquizz Rodgers did to us in the playoff game. Kid was unreal. But I'm conflicted about that first round pick and would prefer Kawaan Short there if he is availkable.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Austin doesn't look nearly as thick to me as Smith.

And you can point to Sanders. I can point to Reggie Bush, who couldn't get away with those stop-start moves at the pro level.

Like I said, I'm willing to be wrong and have been many times . . . But it's not about height to me, it's about the overall size. Austin is NOT built like Smith or MJD. He's much closer to Sproles, McCluster range.

But he is electric. I'll give you that.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
I will say this . . . It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Seahawksick him in the first round. Pete and John both talk about unique athletes, and Austin is certainly unique.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1oaye4eb said:
Austin doesn't look nearly as thick to me as Smith.

And you can point to Sanders. I can point to Reggie Bush, who couldn't get away with those stop-start moves at the pro level.

Like I said, I'm willing to be wrong and have been many times . . . But it's not about height to me, it's about the overall size. Austin is NOT built like Smith or MJD. He's much closer to Sproles, McCluster range.

But he is electric. I'll give you that.

Yes, but I'm saying I was on the sidelines next to Smith in college and he wasn't even as big as Austin is now. I was around him a lot for multiple years. He was downright skinny. He looked like Kelly Jennings. Many guys with that frame in college don't "thicken up" until they get to the pros and can bulk up. Smith was skinny and was like Austin but slower in college. Austin has the same frame Smith had and will bulk up if needed.

Reggie Bush was a difference maker in college for sure. I always said if Reggie Bush was lucky he'd have a career at best comparable with Eric Metcalf. I got laughed at mercilessly. I mean the laughing and skewering were non-stop. Well... I'd say I was wrong afterall. Reggie Bush is nowhere near as good as Eric Metcalf ever was.

So in my non-expert lunatic eyeball test I'd say what I always said about Reggie Bush. He's not that good and would have been lucky if he'd had a Metcalf-esque career. Eric was able to convert to receiver. I said the same stuff about Raghib Ismail. Again, laughed at, mocked, etc. I was right on him too. I'd say Austin reminds me of Steve Smith, and I said Steve Smith was going to be a star.... laughed at, mocked mercilessly, etc. I had many a discussion with my Hawk fan friends back prior to using .Net regularly (using Usenet) and said we had to get Smith. I got laughed at. He was no Joey Galloway apparently. Anyway... I put my money on a few players this year and stand by them, and will feel bad if the Hawks don't take them, but it will be their loss. My hope is that it doesn't come back to haunt us in a playoff game at some point is all.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thanks for your credentials shark hawk.....I'm not sure they are really relevant to the arguement as they can't be proven, and everyone on this site seems to think they are master scouts.

With that said I don't see the Steve Smith comparison at all. I tend to agree with mcgruff.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Shark and I have always butted heads . . . I've just been gone a very long time.

And it's not so much that I disagree with Shark as much as I can't stand arrogance. I'm more often sharing about the ones I got wrong than I am boasting about the ones I got right.

FTR, upon further review Austin has more muscle on him than I remember . . . But I'm still skeptical that those moves will work at the next level.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I tend to pay attention to what Shark says because I have seen him proven right more than a few times. And I'm sure he will be the first to tell you that he's no expert, but he's not one of those loud mouths that occasionally show up here and voice their opinions on everything and on everyone elses "credentials" as if they are the final word on all things on the forums. He's just a fan with an opinion, one that he backs up with time spent studying prospects. And sometimes he's dead on.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm kind of conflicted on Austin. I could see him being Dante Hall, which even that wouldn't be horrible, but not what you hope to get with the 25th pick. I think Austin could be a bad first round pick for a lot of teams, but I also think we have the kind of offense he could flourish in. I wouldn't be upset if we took him.