If you were Clowney would you sit out?

HawkGA

Reaction score
pehawk":zyvkv273 said:
Clowney is, minimum, Top 3. He's got that eventuality to him, like a QB.

Change your mind GA?

He might be top 3 if he could come out this year, but if he sits for a year? I highly doubt he ends up top 3. I think he becomes somebody a team takes a bit of a flyer on in the bottom half of the first round. And like somebody said earlier, rookie deals aren't what they used to be. If he could have been the top pick (even top 3) a couple of years ago maybe it would be something to consider. But he's going to have to play several years before getting a shot at a "big deal" so he'll already be risking himself (and probably a lot more than he would in college).

So, if we take your premise that he'll be a top pick whenever he comes out then I think it's worth considering. But I just accept that premise. I think sitting out would cause him to slide.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":34l7dcw8 said:
pehawk":34l7dcw8 said:
English, Luck was also pre-med, and exceling academically. Please, really?

Luck was an architecture major (and Stanford doesn't have a certified architecture program which is actually quite strange). Not pre-med.

Also, if Clowney doesn't play next year, he runs the risk of skill deterioration since he'd essentially have not taken a snap for 2 years. Staying in shape and all that is far easier if you have an immediate goal.

Wow, really? Howd I mix that up?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkGA":8m33d4z3 said:
pehawk":8m33d4z3 said:
Clowney is, minimum, Top 3. He's got that eventuality to him, like a QB.

Change your mind GA?

He might be top 3 if he could come out this year, but if he sits for a year? I highly doubt he ends up top 3. I think he becomes somebody a team takes a bit of a flyer on in the bottom half of the first round. And like somebody said earlier, rookie deals aren't what they used to be. If he could have been the top pick (even top 3) a couple of years ago maybe it would be something to consider. But he's going to have to play several years before getting a shot at a "big deal" so he'll already be risking himself (and probably a lot more than he would in college).

So, if we take your premise that he'll be a top pick whenever he comes out then I think it's worth considering. But I just accept that premise. I think sitting out would cause him to slide.
I see it like this. If he sits out, his football passion will be questioned, and he will drop anyway.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":173xi7fc said:
Blitzer88":173xi7fc said:
Play, I can't believe that this idea or topic is actually gaining ground. Really hope this doesn't become a trend for any potential high draft pick.

Well, its gaining traction because some people have empathy, ie place themselves in another persons shoes. I don't believe for a minute if someone said "hey, if you don't play for SC, you get a guarenteed 15M. Play, and you may not", anyone wouldn't chose the first option.

Blitzer, you'd take the first option. Its insane and dishonest to say otherwise. Even if you would choose option B, which you wouldn't, I don't enjoy telling others when or how to earn their living.

Its just a messed up policy.

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In fact, I don't think those saying to take a year off have a clue what it's like to be a professional caliber athlete. You don't get to be as good as Clowney without being extremely driven, and extremely competitive, and without an extreme love for the game.

Not playing is not an option at this point. Football players play football.

Snohomie

Reaction score
McGruff":1qf3vek0 said:
pehawk":1qf3vek0 said:
Blitzer88":1qf3vek0 said:
Play, I can't believe that this idea or topic is actually gaining ground. Really hope this doesn't become a trend for any potential high draft pick.

Well, its gaining traction because some people have empathy, ie place themselves in another persons shoes. I don't believe for a minute if someone said "hey, if you don't play for SC, you get a guarenteed 15M. Play, and you may not", anyone wouldn't chose the first option.

Blitzer, you'd take the first option. Its insane and dishonest to say otherwise. Even if you would choose option B, which you wouldn't, I don't enjoy telling others when or how to earn their living.

Its just a messed up policy.

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In fact, I don't think those saying to take a year off have a clue what it's like to be a professional caliber athlete.

I'm pretty sure we're as informed about what it is like to be a professional caliber athlete as you are. :roll:

McGruff

Reaction score
Snohomie":2l7n1ca2 said:
McGruff":2l7n1ca2 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In fact, I don't think those saying to take a year off have a clue what it's like to be a professional caliber athlete.

I'm pretty sure we're as informed about what it is like to be a professional caliber athlete as you are. :roll:

Definition of EMPATHY

: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

You don't have to be a professional caliber athlete to have empathy for a professional caliber athlete. I'm simply saying that telling a high level football player to not play football shows a lack of understanding for what drives these guys.

Snohomie

Reaction score
And what makes you an expert on what drives these guys? Specifically, Clowney? Enough of an expert to say others have no clue what they are talking about.

Maurice Clarrett was as good a collegiate performer as Clowney at one point, and I think we can safely say that he isn't, "extremely driven, and extremely competitive, and without an extreme love for the game." despite your certainty that all players as good as Clowney are. It is very dangerous to pigeonhole all great athletes into a specific mindset, not all have the Michael Jordan mindset.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff should allow us, his fans, input into his financial personal business. Screw what's best for him or his family, its about us and our thoughts.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":xebizkw3 said:
McGruff should allow us, his fans, input into his financial personal business. Screw what's best for him or his family, its about us and our thoughts.
What the heck? It has nothing to do with the fans!

It's about what drives a man, and for the vast majority of football players, they are driven by competition and excellence. It's why they don't retire even thou they are financially set for life. It's what keeps them hanging on long past their peak productivity. It's why they become coaches and broadcasters after the game . . . Because they still want the feel of the game, to be near the field of play.

That's not to say they aren't motivated money, but the primal instinct of most athletes is competition and success.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I have a fairly strong primal instinct to care for my family. If a year from today I could have a sure 10M, or risk that amount by not sitting idle, I'd choose the 1st option. We're not talking an average ciscumstance, Clowney's ready now and will be top 2 pick, regardless.

pinksheets

Reaction score
pehawk":2wk1jgag said:
I have a fairly strong primal instinct to care for my family. If a year from today I could have a sure 10M, or risk that amount by not sitting idle, I'd choose the 1st option. We're not talking an average ciscumstance, Clowney's ready now and will be top 2 pick, regardless.
I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think it's fair that essentially a monopolized industry without an antitrust exemption should be able to limit a guy like Clowney for the sole purpose of propping up another gigantic industry that's based on free labor.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The NFL incentivizesizes such choices with the new CBA. You'll start to see similar occur with pros, soon. The new CBA structures players salaries eerily similar to the US economy, haves n have-nots.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What are the contracts nowadays for top picks? All I know is they are different but I don't really know amounts.

As for the monopolized industries . . . . monopolies, generally, are bad. We allow them in some instances. What society needs to do a better job of discerning is when industries should be monopolized for the public good, when they shouldn't be monopolized for the public good, and when it just doesn't matter. Professional sports is the last one.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
[/quote]

The reason I made reference to a 'classy' response is because you've assumed your own position to be one of authority and therefore anyone else's opinion or view is 'ludicrous'. Highlighting Luck's willingness to play as a comparable example is not 'ludicrous'. If you disagree, just disagree.

And again, we have no idea about Clowney's background and I for one am not going to make any assumptions. Whether Luck's father is loaded or not, the risks are the same for the individual. Everything I've seen about Andrew so far suggests to me this is a guy who would be determined to make his own living. He would've been the #1 pick had he sat out the entire year, enjoyed the big contract. Not everyone wants to live off 'daddy'. I don't know if Clowney needs the money or not. I've already stated my opinion - take out an insurance policy worth around $5m-7m. Then in a worst case scenario you are secure. Then get on the field and continue to help your current team prosper in the SEC.[/quote]

My mistake. My post was "unclassy" because I put myself in a position where I assumed my thought process was correct and I put myself in a position of "authority".

So, every time you make a post telling everybody else how wrong they are and that you have all of this evidence backing your viewpoint, then you're not just stating things to try to convince others of your own viewpoint and give it credibility, rather you are doing it in order to be classless? I had always assumed the best and figured that you posted the things you posted with such certainty and posted what are clearly opinions as FACTS when they are stated by you as taking a strong position because you felt strongly about an issue or your evaluation of a player's ability.

Now it seems that the truth is that when people do so, they are really just attempting to be classless. I will assume from here on out that you're attempting to put yourself above all of us, to be classless in your words, and to rule over us with your ultimate authority point of view on all things we discuss moving forward. Thanks for setting the record straight.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
English, kinda with Shark here. Pot meet kettle scenario. Itd be like me calling others out for being a "short douchebag".

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I love college football, so sitting out to protect your draft stock (your = player x,y,z) would just make you a pansy loser in my eyes. Sitting out to protect yourself is like soccer players flopping around on the field all day, bunch of spoiled prima donnas. Just do what Jake Locker did, when he returned for his senior year, he got a $1 million dollar insurance policy in case he got injured playing college ball.

College football is often better than the NFL, so it would be a disaster if it turned into the NBA/college basketball fiasco where everyone bolts for the NBA after their freshmen year.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I totally agree with you MLO, as a fan of NCAA football I like the rule. It makes the games so much better. But, my issue is putting that love of the game above an individuals right to earn as much money as possible.

Clowney snaps a femur, or sustains 3 concussions next season, he'll lose at least $10M. Insurance is only applicable if he never plays again, it can't insure the losses sustained from dropping to a 3rd or 4th round pick. I don't think there's realistic understandings of how that type of insurance works in this thread.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":2f4e60r9 said:
He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.

That's a great idea for a movie right there, pe. Superstar QB has a tragic accident that sees him lose an arm. Determined to be a pro football player, he becomes a kicker and excels. A little twist on the classic "feel good story" type sports movie haha