EPL 2012-2013

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":p1vldgpq said:
InSuarezWeTrust":p1vldgpq said:
5 Reasons today has started off well. Gerrard, Coutinho, Enrique, Suarez, Sturridge.

Don't care. It was a very weak Swansea side and I'm not going to let myself get excited. We're looking at a finish in the 6-10 range in the league this year, which was what I predicted at first. I just hope we can keep a hold of the players we need to keep a hold of, ie Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Agger and Johnson.

Don't read too much into it. I don't think this was the launching pad for our champions league campaign or anything, but its just nice to see a 5-0 result when your team has been playing like hot garbage for an extended period of time. 6th place is probably the ceiling for us this year, hopefully we can make some astute signings in the summer and push forward next year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why I love my Liverpool.. yes we won 5-0 and scored one of the more beautiful team goals you'll see (Enriques). At halftime we had reached these infuriating landmarks:

We were up 1-0 despite taking 23 shots... yep. 23 shots in 45 minutesand one goal... a pen no less. Those 23 shots made us the first team in any of the European top flights to hit 500 at goal

Still. Fun to watch, eben against the Swans JV team. Points are points. Coutinho looks promising

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
We are cursed. That's the only explanation.[/quote]

We are not cursed.

While I am a relatively new diehard Liverpool supporter compared to many, we all as hardcore sports fans know that our team can go through multiple decades of mediocrity and general lack of success. We all sign up for it. It's why I choose the celebrate the small victories, as meaningless as they may be, because it could be another month before it happens again.

Will it ever be like the "Old days" in Liverpool where success was pretty much a guarantee? Who knows, but I choose to believe that it will because it sure beats believing the alternative.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":32981z6v said:
We are cursed. That's the only explanation.

I'm sure Man Utd fans thought they were cursed in the 70's and 80's, Celtic in the 90's, Arsenal fans probably feel that way just now. That's football for you, it runs in cycles. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of luck such as some great youngsters coming through or giving a manager a bit of time- i.e Ferguson once being a game away from the sack.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Ferguson retires, I don't think any other manager can build so many successful teams and maintain that success. I therefore think Man Utd will still be good but not as often. If the Premier League or UEFA have the balls to put a salary cap or debt to earnings ratio it will be interesting to see what happens to Chelsea and City as well.

Liverpool have the support and with it the money. I think they are handicapped by Anfield though due to it's size and should have at least a 60,000 stadium to maximise that revenue. That is a matter that should have been addressed years ago. The mediocrity won't last forever though.

Arsenal have the makings of a good side but i'm not convinced by the spine of the team. Campbell, Viera and Henry have never been effectively replaced. For all Wenger has done for the club, it might be time for him to step aside and bring in a new coach with fresh ideas and inspiration.

That's my opinion though.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":uotezmef said:
Who else thinks Spurs this season rely as much on Bale as Arsenal did last year with RvP? Because to me, it seems like Spurs would be in a cluster**** of trouble without him.

Bale has been freakin' awesome of late. Certainly a van Persie-like impact. The whole team's been playing well though, for the most part. Spurs are allowing the fewest shots on goal of any team in the league, which obviously helps too. But yeah, Bale's certainly earned us some points recently that we wouldn't have got without him.

Here's a good article about Bale and Spurs which does something almost unheard of in the British media: give AVB some credit.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... CMP=twt_gu

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thrilled by today. Brilliant from Suarez and Coutinho. Outstanding by Pepe. Like when this team shows its class. Come on Spurs, set up next weekend with a stomp tomorrow...

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2sbw67oj said:
Thrilled by today. Brilliant from Suarez and Coutinho. Outstanding by Pepe. Like when this team shows its class. Come on Spurs, set up next weekend with a stomp tomorrow...

Awesome showing by the Reds today, pretty boring second half actually as the game had already been put to bed.

Can someone explain the "fair play" rule to me? I heard Chelsea currently lead, but won't likely need it and Liverpool are second, and can get into the Europa league through this?

Thanks in advance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Fair Play rule is a mixture of player discipline, FA fines and such as well as fan and stadium behavior (i think) Arsenal (Not Chelsea) are first I believe. We are second. More than likely 6th in the table will result in Europa. We are close. Need to be consistent. But with only Chelsea and Spurs (both at home) in the top 10 left on our schedule we have a favorable run in

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":htmhanam said:

I like the way that Rodgers is doing things at Anfield. I think you'll be back up near the top very soon.

And come on you Spurs! Before we worry about next week, let's knock Woolwich out of this season's race.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Rumors are coming out that a Middle Eastern group are looking into the possibility of offering a 1.5 billion pound bid for Arsenal. Moreso this apparently has been going on for the last 4 months.

Now if this is true, and I seriously don't know whether or not there's any weight whatsoever, I'm a bit split on what to think. I'm not someone who likes teams "buying" trophies, but I despise Kroenke's running of the club that he's the majority owner of and want him gone no matter how it happens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... weeks.html

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3p0bnae0 said:
Rumors are coming out that a Middle Eastern group are looking into the possibility of offering a 1.5 billion pound bid for Arsenal. Moreso this apparently has been going on for the last 4 months.

Now if this is true, and I seriously don't know whether or not there's any weight whatsoever, I'm a bit split on what to think. I'm not someone who likes teams "buying" trophies, but I despise Kroenke's running of the club that he's the majority owner of and want him gone no matter how it happens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... weeks.html

It's all getting a bit boring, isn't it. The premier league is in desperate need of a salary cap.

And the sooner someone invents a viable alternative energy source the better. Hopefully a few weeks after Arsenal get sold.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Two things Gate... Arsenal has money now. They just don't spend it like Chelsea and City. FFP will limit the spending of clubs in the near future

Your team is five. Built much like Spurs. Id be inclined to want to keep it that way

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2yrvzf25 said:
Two things Gate... Arsenal has money now. They just don't spend it like Chelsea and City. FFP will limit the spending of clubs in the near future

Your team is five. Built much like Spurs. Id be inclined to want to keep it that way

Really the only good thing I can definitely see coming from this, is that lazy bastard Stan Kroenke not owning any part of Arsenal anymore if it does happen.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3ridji17 said:
I just don't see it happening, Gate. Arsenal aren't in desperate need of cash. They have a new stadium, and aren't in debt. They're probably one of the best run teams from a financial perpective in the whole FA.

But if Kroenke truely is only in this for the money, then it could definitely happen. Like I said before, I'm in the middle. I doubt Usmanov would sell his stake in the club, but Kroenke is a whole other matter.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Great match. Great result for Spurs. Poor defending by Arsenal in that 5 minute spurt. Only themselves to blame there. And now Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal to battle it out for 4 through 7 with the 11 to go. Liverpool have the easiest run in, with Spurs and Chelsea at home as the only fixtures left in the top 10. Spurs actually have actually one of the tougher run ins, but its hard to argue with how they are playing right now.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I sadly missed the game today and had to settle for listening to it on the radio. It sounded like a good game with both sides blowing good chances. I wish we'd stop letting Mertesacker score!

Obviously I'm delighted with the result and even more delighted with the 7 point lead over 5th place At the same time last year we were just 1 point above Arsenal and still almost held on. While 5th place is still distinctly possible it would now need us to lose a few games and both Arsenal and Chelsea to up their performance over the final 10 weeks.

And unlike last year our manager isn't pimping himself out for the England and Chelsea jobs while the team looks exhausted, disinterested and devoid of ideas.

I'm nervously optimistic.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2rla0bpm said:
I suppose Liverpool have a puncher's chance at 4th, but I highly doubt it'll happen. Still, stranger things, I suppose. We're scoring goals now, and if the defense can be shored up for the run in, you never know what could happen. Look at how improbably Arsenal's chances were last season.

I think 5th place is a fairly realistic season ending result. Europa here we come! :/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r8owueq said:
InSuarezWeTrust":3r8owueq said:
peachesenregalia":3r8owueq said:
I suppose Liverpool have a puncher's chance at 4th, but I highly doubt it'll happen. Still, stranger things, I suppose. We're scoring goals now, and if the defense can be shored up for the run in, you never know what could happen. Look at how improbably Arsenal's chances were last season.

I think 5th place is a fairly realistic season ending result. Europa here we come! :/

I honestly hate the Europa league. I mean, it's money and it's a chance to compete in Europe and scout some guys, but I still hate it.

I REALLY like Coutinho. I like him on the wing in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, and I like him up front with Suarez and Sturridge in a 4-3-3. Sturridge was another good buy, I reckon. Allen seems to be finding his way a bit more, which is good. I think Shelvey and probably Henderson are gone in the summer. Probably Downing, too. Time to sut our losses and let Rodgers bring in guys that will fit what he wants to do. I've liked the Sturridge and Coutinho buys, and I think guys like Assaidi and Borini will provide good cover in the long run.

I see Henderson staying, and Shelvey may get a loan deal. I dont see them selling him. Hes very useful and still young (same as Henderson). I do see Downing being sold, although its great to see him adding an impact to wins.

Coutinho's two assists indicate his class, and how he fits in with Suarez. I find that duo, with Sturridge, exciting enough that coupled with a Europa league stint may bring in another two dynamic, impactful players. I know you dont like Europa, peaches, but it serves a very useful purpose for the club in developing players as well as showing progress. I think many young players enamored with Liverpool can see 5th place and Europa as just one step away from being back to its former dominance... and for that I am excited.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2m1c1v0m said:
InSuarezWeTrust":2m1c1v0m said:
peachesenregalia":2m1c1v0m said:

I honestly hate the Europa league. I mean, it's money and it's a chance to compete in Europe and scout some guys, but I still hate it.

I REALLY like Coutinho. I like him on the wing in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, and I like him up front with Suarez and Sturridge in a 4-3-3. Sturridge was another good buy, I reckon. Allen seems to be finding his way a bit more, which is good. I think Shelvey and probably Henderson are gone in the summer. Probably Downing, too. Time to sut our losses and let Rodgers bring in guys that will fit what he wants to do. I've liked the Sturridge and Coutinho buys, and I think guys like Assaidi and Borini will provide good cover in the long run.

It was better as the UEFA cup when it was a straight knockout competition. The Europa League structure doesn't work, too many meaningless games and the money is pennies compared to the ECL. It's not like there are bad teams in it, a lot of good Spanish and Italian teams but it is marketed so crap and no English team really gives a crap about it.