Do we win SBXL with Wilson as the QB?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • No we probably would have been skunked.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I admire Wilson's strength of character, and how he never gives up.

But I've never seen any team have to deal with that kind of adversity, especially in the Superbowl. The Packers fans all bitch about the hail mary this season; SB XL had about 5-7 shitty play calls of that magnitude, and they all went against one team.

You can control what the other team does to you. You can control what you do to the other team. You can't control what the refs do to you. I haven't seen a team yet with the fortitude to not just say "f**k it. no way the refs are letting us win this game" when things are going that wrong.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Re: Do we win SBXL with Wilson as the QB?
Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am
  • Wilson would have been 17 years old.. no way we win :D
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Wilson would have been 17 years old.. no way we win :D

You don't tell Wilson what he can't do.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I know...I know...it's how many years after the fact. BUT today it's the off season and I decided to man up and watch the SBXL again..from a non homer approach. This is the first time I've seen the game since it has been played.

I'm only half way through the first qtr and frankly Hasselbeck is playing like dog poop and Chris Grey screwed the pooch on a completely unneccesary hold that killed a drive.

Matt has missed two easy passes. He ran a yard short for a first down and probably could have run for 15-20. He totally pussed out.

So far in this game RW would have thrown for probably two TD's. The steelers are playing like crap. 2 penalties for offensive line jumps and it is totally a Steeler crowd. We should be handing Pittsburg their asses.

I'll add more observations but it is a lot of time invested ... As I watch the game again with fresh eyes the mistakes WE made are glaring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNe6erInao
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• SuperFreak wrote:Matt always panicked and choked when the going got tough.

No
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    SuperFreak wrote:Matt always panicked and choked when the going got tough.

No

Not always, but frequently enough to be frustrating to watch at times.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am
  • The question is...Would Russell Wilson have done a better job than Matt Hasselbeck?

So far in the first two series on offense I would have to say..at THIS stage in Wilson's experience the answer is clearly yes.

Even with the same play calling Hasselbeck is missing easy passes. Most are being caught but the balls are poorly thrown. DJ is making Hasselbeck look good. A simple screen to our league leading halfback is poorly placed and goes nowhere. A wide open WR 15 yards downfield middle left is overthrown by several feet. On the second series a wide open WR running down the left sideline in overthrown by ten feet and nearly intercepted. Both of those horrible misses are easy throws for Wilson.

Matt did make a great throw at the end of the second series but Chris Grey put a choke hold on the DE and a great play unneccesarily turned into a ten yard penalty. A reversal of approximately 30 yards.

All in all Matt sucked in the first part of the game in accuracy. Wilson would have delivered more catchable balls and not overthrown the two that Hasselbeck really blew.
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 am
  • I believe we win the Super Bowl with Zach Miller. Damn you Stevens!
    King Dog
    NET Starter

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 am
  • This thread may seem stupid to some fans. Could have...should have...and those EVIL refs.

Still that game was our ONLY SB experience and we can draw from the game 411 that could be usefull.

For some reason Pittsburg appeared to be the team with the Super Bowl jitters. They made numerous mistakes in the first qtr. Todays Seahawks would have torched them for at least two TD's in the first half of the first qtr.

I know it is dumb to think more than one game at a time ahead but for us I think it is a forgone conclusion that we will make the playoffs this year...either by winning the NFCW outright and having home field thruout down to a dogfight for a wild card position if we are unlucky in our own division which is possible with so much strength to challege right here in the West.

About halfway into the run this year I hope we start studying the leaders in the other divisions with a seperate super secret Super Bowl task force identifying te tendencies of our likely opponents in the playoffs.

The seperation is in the preparation...GO HAWKS!!!!!
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 pm
  • It's amazing how clear 20/20 hindsight can be!! :shock:
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Bigpumpkin wrote:It's amazing how clear 20/20 hindsight can be!! :shock:

It's amazing how we hang on to mythology we believed at the time. All we ever talk about is how we got burned by the officiating. A couple of questionable calls and we would have won...blah ...blah...blah...

It's nice to have a video of the whole game we can play back and forth to really look hard and clearly as to what occured. It was a shock to me to watch the game and as the OP questions...would RW have done any better? Our defense was great for that game from what I saw so far in the first qtr. Pittsburg's DB's sucked. Their offense sucked. 2.. 3 and outs in the first half of the first qtr. Wilson would have shreded them like we played SF in Seattle.

My memory does not recall how badly Hasselbeck was throwing the ball as the game began.

Ya... it's 20/20 hindsight but it is what it is without me sitting there in front of the TV desperately wanting success.

The truth is that Matt was TRYING to push the ball downfield but he was not getting the job done. Pittsburg was on it's heals and our QB couldn't put his foot on their throats and score. Being a grade A Homer I just didn't see it at the time. I do find it interesting to look back on the game with a clearer perspective.
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• volsunghawk wrote:Who do the Steelers get to change out?

No one. They had their "penalty flag defense" in top form that day, They were not going to let Pissburgh leave Detroit without the Lombardi!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information