Could Russell Wilson help the Mariners

ensett

Reaction score
No. He was pretty bad in his Minor League playing time, he'd take years of development to even make it to AAA let alone a big league roster

OP
OP
G

gocougs789

Reaction score
Im serious, Brendan Ryan was the starting SS last year hit .194 last year, gotta think RW could eclipse that. He is certainly athletic enough to play shortstop and has the leadership traits to change the clubhouse. Dont know if he could hit .260 out of the gate(thats what the mariners best returning player hit last year, Montero).

HUGGY

Reaction score
gocougs789":fbu95pr3 said:
I bet he would be a top 3 player on that team right now.

Dude!!!!! I can't believe I just saw this thread!!! I was JUST(a couple of hours ago) thinking something VERY similar. My thought was more of an "exhibition" near opening day where Russell would show up at a presaeson game and smack a few over the wall and take a few grounders at SB ...toss a few to first.... sign a bunch of autographs... sort of a goodwill appearance... like he does for Childrens Hospital...

Wilson already has priors for helping cripples.

Happybelly

Reaction score
gocougs789":2wzoo0qy said:
Im serious, Brendan Ryan was the starting SS last year hit .194 last year, gotta think RW could eclipse that. He is certainly athletic enough to play shortstop and has the leadership traits to change the clubhouse. Dont know if he could hit .260 out of the gate(thats what the mariners best returning player hit last year, Montero).

Just stop. I know it's cool to make fun of the Mariners, but Russell Wilson was a bad baseball player.

Brendan Ryan is an elite fielding shortstop, something Wilson wasn't in the minor leagues. It's quite doubtful he would even hit as well as Ryan.

ensett

Reaction score
For the record, Wilson hit .230 in 2010 and .228 in 2011.
Just for a comparison, Ryan at the same age and at the same level hit .310+ both years

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ensett":111wgx8z said:
No. He was pretty bad in his Minor League playing time, he'd take years of development to even make it to AAA let alone a big league roster

Then it's a good thing the Mariners are a AA team

OP
OP
G

gocougs789

Reaction score
If people aren't on board with Wilson at SS maybe Pete Carroll could give wedge some pointers at least...like for one generating competition and not anointing your under performing first baseman the "starter" before playing a game. Why not make him earn it? comPETE!!!

I was half kidding about Wilson, but I think it would be fun for him to take BP with the team.

hawker84

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":l2ptmihu said:
ensett":l2ptmihu said:

Then it's a good thing the Mariners are a AA team

hey hey hey, don't be bad mouthing my Mariners.. wait till the 3rd or 4th week to start doing that.

nategreat

Reaction score
It would be funny to hear him say "Go M's" during baseball season and "Go Hawks" during football season.