I still think losing Clemons killed us

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Clem will return and we had by god better get him some help! I'll be patient with Irvin for a while longer but after that there is a glaring hole in our pass rush and we better draft accordingly to fill it.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I didn't look it up nut I don't recall Clemons getting pressure on Ryan the two previous years we played them. I know there are different variables blah blah. Just sayin maybe they know how to adjust to what we do.

Besides we didn't have him and it's over.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
You guys continually talk about the pass rush, but you're missing the more important piece of why Clemons absence hurt so much:

Dude is a staunch defender of the run, and Michael "Ploddington" Turner killed us on the ground. The Seahawks could afford to make the Falcons one-dimensional and play to their secondary strength, but without the ability to stop Turner, the defense had to spread out too thin. If Turner doesn't go for nearly 100 yards on 14 carries, and he wouldn't have with Clemons in the game, I think we win.

hawkpride

Reaction score
Young team makes young team mistakes. Clemons surely would have helped had he not got injured, but the D as a whole unit let us down. I'm sure the sting over letting teams drive down the field (late in the game) to take the game away will have a lasting impact on the future of how this D will defend in the future. When the D see's their QB giving his all to get points and the lead late in games, only to have the D come on the field and stink it up allowing the opposing team to regain the lead and thus the game, I'm sure the D having to look into RW's eyes when that occurs, is not someting that they as a unit will want to continue. The D coaches along with the leadership of this QB will straighten the D unit up. Count on it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That and an ineffective Trufant. Watch him rush the passer on that final completion to Gonzalez. Jacquizz comes out to block him and he pulls up. No jumping in the air waving hands, no bowling him over, it was pull up and stop and place his hands on him

candybars

Reaction score
ivotuk":wgn3au64 said:
That and an ineffective Trufant. Watch him rush the passer on that final completion to Gonzalez. Jacquizz comes out to block him and he pulls up. No jumping in the air waving hands, no bowling him over, it was pull up and stop and place his hands on him

Didn't Trufant have the only sack of the game?

ivotuk

Reaction score
candybars":26awho7t said:
ivotuk":26awho7t said:

Didn't Trufant have the only sack of the game?

Watch when he rushes the passer, Atlanta doesn't even block him. Instead they block whoever the other rusher is.

edit: So yes, losing Clemons hurt when you have to depend on someone as slow as Trufant. I would have preferred one of the young guys in there instead.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think Clem would have made a big difference in that game and without him I don't think the chances in SF are good the following week. It would just warm my heart if Clem comes back healthy and the Hawks have other options there. I am very confident team JS will handle the pass rush situation without Clem but it would be huge if he makes it back.

The ATL was winnable, there are a few factors in why they lost, any one of those would have changed the outcome.

That field had a massive impact on things. Imagine being a Skins fan. Griffin's future is still in question at this point.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1scdht5o said:
I think Clem would have made a big difference in that game and without him I don't think the chances in SF are good the following week. It would just warm my heart if Clem comes back healthy and the Hawks have other options there. I am very confident team JS will handle the pass rush situation without Clem but it would be huge if he makes it back.

The ATL was winnable, there are a few factors in why they lost, any one of those would have changed the outcome.

That field had a massive impact on things. Imagine being a Skins fan. Griffin's future is still in question at this point.

Word is Griffin is recovering well ahead of schedule. Clem went to the same surgeon, so my fingers are crossed.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2rscz4rg said:
loafoftatupu":2rscz4rg said:

Word is Griffin is recovering well ahead of schedule. Clem went to the same surgeon, so my fingers are crossed.

Man I hope that is the case, for both of them. I really like Griffin. Prior to the Huskies/Baylor Bowl game Tubbo (Softy) had RG3 on for one of his rare decent interviews. Griffin was very humble and extremely respectful on top of being an amazing QB. He was just lighting it up and I feel that in the right system, that Griffin could pass for 4000 yards without rushing a yard if he had to. I wanted a miracle to bring him to Seattle badly, knowing it wasn't going to happen.

It would be a tragedy if RG3 had complications from his knee injury. I didn't know that he already went under knee surgery prior to the NFL. That is where my concerns come from.

It would be a HUGE positive if Clem makes it back, he is just so solid. He would have been a major piece in that ATL game, or at least forced Ryan into Irvin. BI plays like an animal when Clem is out there.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I agree losing Clemons killed us against ATL.... still...

Why didn't we tackle their WR's at the line of scrimmage on that last drive, and take 3 or 4 5 yard penalties while running the clock down 20 seconds in the process? If we have Browner, Sherman, Guy, Kam, tackle Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez at LOS (intentional hold), wouldn't that have worked out better? 5-6 seconds per play, 5 plays, they gain 20 yards, but it all comes down to 6 seconds left and one play that might use up the whole clock. Is there some reason that this "intentional fouling" strategy would have been a bad idea? It worked OK for NC State in the '83 NCAA championship game for the Wolfpack against Houston and Hakeem and Clyde Drexler for the unbelievable W at the buzzer. Does the NFL have "special penalties" for such intentional fouls that make this "intentional hold" strategy not feasible?