NFC West predictions for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NorCal":11sck69r said:
Honestly Roland, comments like this is why I just think you don't know what you are talking about.

Think that all you want. Why don't you go chart Kaepernick's throws outside the pocket? His QBR rating from ESPN gets bumped significantly from running, (one of the reasons I don't like QBR; it rewards some things way too much) and so does Wilson's; but look at throwing outside the pocket.

Here, I'll give you a start: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... cket-stats

Kaepernick's QBR outside the pocket: 15.6.
Wilson's QBR outside the pocket: 62.5.

Lol. As that article also mentions:
ESPN":11sck69r said:
Wilson has 31 passing first downs from outside the pocket, nearly as many as the other NFC West quarterbacks combined (37).

Please explain to me how I'm wrong. Be specific, and detailed. I honestly want to see your response.

IronSaint

Reaction score
NorCal":gjg5doci said:
RolandDeschain":gjg5doci said:
Kaepernick does not handle pressure well a lot of the time, that needs to change before any 49ers fans start thinking he's great. Poor decision-making under pressure will keep him from ever being great if it's not fixed. Also, Kaepernick's a fast runner, but he's not quick. Chris Clemons also ran him down and forced a fumble just out of bounds, too; so I'm not sure how truly fast he is. But either way, I'll take quickness (Russell Wilson, look at that scrambling) over fast. The NFL isn't a track meet.

Honestly Roland, comments like this is why I just think you don't know what you are talking about.

And what part of Roland's statement is incorrect? Kaepernick does make poor decisions when he's under pressure. The last 49ers' offensive series of the SB proved that. He doesn't progress through is reads as he should; he's either doing a 1-2 read then run, or straight run. You and I know he's only gaining this notoriety because of that defense. Plain and simple is he's a game-manager, and not the game-changer you Niner fans make him out to be.

It's easy to play with a lead, unless you're Matt Ryan; especially when your defense is the one that gives you that lead. His clock management is mediocre at best in addition to not being able to handle crowd noise; a delay of game and 2 wasted timeouts vs. us this year is a perfect example. Without the defense bailing you guys out twice, you lose that game.

Seahawk guys, how many delay of games did the 49ers have at the CLink this year in that 40-burger ass-whipping ya'll served up? I watched the game but my memory's fuzzy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
IronSaint":c2pkh1pi said:
Seahawk guys, how many delay of games did the 49ers have at the CLink this year in that 40-burger ass-whipping ya'll served up? I watched the game but my memory's fuzzy.

More than a 49ers fan can count. Also, thanks for the backup, broski. ESPN and facts in the real world are also giving me cover fire against him. :devil:

hawker84

Reaction score
"It's easy to play with a lead, unless you're Matt Ryan; especially when your defense is the one that gives you that lead. His clock management is mediocre at best in addition to not being able to handle crowd noise; a delay of game and 2 wasted timeouts vs. us this year is a perfect example. Without the defense bailing you guys out twice, you lose that game".

i agree with Rolands post, but i have to disagree with this part of your post Ironsaint...

Kap is not a game manager, he is indeed a game changer, he is a dangerous QB. ask the Packers... ask tyour very own saints players, ask the patriots players... and most importantly ask the Falcons when SF was down by 20+... i think he does just fine without a lead (See SB), and even in a hole.. i do agree with you on the clock management part, however i think the coaching staff is just as much to blame in that aspect. i don't think crowd noise effects him much at all, yes he struggled here, but did not in NO or ATL both domes and both loud as he**...

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Yes Kaepernick needs to work on his clock management and progressions. HOWEVER, he played better than most other QB's in the league even after coming off the bench to replace Alex.

It is kind of pointless to argue this since he didn't prep as the starter last camp and wasnt even practicing with the #1's until after Alex got hurt. The media is on his jock partly because if he was able to play as well as he did with such little preparation compared to the other starters in the league, his dominance should only sky rocket next season after getting a full pre-season and camp as the starter.

Comparing numbers between Kaep and RW is pointless as well because RW started every game last season and as you all saw got better after the whole team got comfortable with him and the chemistry set in.

I think both our QB's are in for a good season next year, and we are both lucky to have them.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
hawker84":oyi5el1a said:

Kap is not a game manager, he is indeed a game changer, he is a dangerous QB. ask the Packers... ask tyour very own saints players, ask the patriots players... and most importantly ask the Falcons when SF was down by 20+... i think he does just fine without a lead (See SB), and even in a hole.. i do agree with you on the clock management part, however i think the coaching staff is just as much to blame in that aspect. i don't think crowd noise effects him much at all, yes he struggled here, but did not in NO or ATL both domes and both loud as he**...

Atlanta never built more then a 17 point lead against the 49ers. They almost lost a 20 point lead to the Seahawks (which would have been the largest lead ever lost in Playoff history) just to turn around the next week and blow a 17 point lead (which WAS the largest lead ever lost in Championship history). That they were on the cusp of making that kind of history with homefield and the no1 seed for two straight weeks is historically awful in itself.

Obviously it was Atlanta's ineptitude in both cases. The only difference is they are extremely good at late field goal drills. That Matty got injured, and San Francisco went up by 4 points, while the Seahawks only went up by 1, is the difference.

Kaepernick couldn't drag the 9ers over the hump in the Superbowl targeting Crabtree 3 times in a row with open receivers elsewhere while it was obvious the Ravens knew he'd go to Crabtree and were heavily double covering and blowing him up whenever he was thrown to. Kaepernick never led his team to victory from more then a 7 point deficit except at Atlanta, a team that proved with others it was quite good at blowing 3 score leads. Easy to be dangerous when your defense keeps the deficit low.

as for the clock management part the Hawks are equally lacking. Seeing how Detroit deliberately and skillfully managed their game winning TD drive on us so we would have no chance save a miracle to win, makes me wish we would have purposely limited our big plays on our last drive at Atlanta, forced them to take timeouts, took penalties to shave time off the clock, anything to prevent giving Atl time for a late field goal. Better the game ends with the ball in Wilson's hands for him to win or lose, then giving Atlanta that last chance.

hawker84

Reaction score
ya i got the 1st half scores of those two games mixed up, they were so similar the way they played out..

anyway i still stand by my post that Kap is not just a game manager.. and SF defense was not that good in the playoffs or superbowl... just so happened they played opponents who's defense was worse.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Kaepernick's not just a game manager, but what he is above & beyond that, nobody knows yet. Need this next full season at a minimum before that can be determined.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
All we kept hearing last year was how good Alex Smith was. Boy, no one is beating that dead horse anymore are they? No, the new thing is Kap. Well, he's an improvement. But let's face it, last year, the Hawks came into San Fran and it was their 5th game in 25 days. Even so, if the WR's don't have an abnormal day and drop so many passes, the Hawks win that game. Then the Niners come to Seattle and get DOMINATED.

We all know who has the better team here.

That said, based upon San Fran getting the better schedule and us getting shafted despite being the 2nd place team in the division, I have to say the season will look like this:

San Fran 12-4 They just have such an easy road schedule.
Seattle 10-6
St. Louis 10-6
Arizona 4-12

it may take a coin toss to separate the Rams from the Hawks this season.

rlkats

Reaction score
They way I see it
Hawks 11-5
San Fran 10-6
Rams 9-7
Cards 8-8

But all teams are plus or minus 1 game so its hard to say. I say the two toughest teams are the hawks and Niners BUT the Rams are right there also. Hard to say really. I would not be shocked at all to see it like this.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Has there ever been an NFL division that finished a season with no team in it having a losing record, before? I have to think that it has never happened, or that it has happened once or twice at most.

rlkats

Reaction score
I dont know but I think that it will happen this year and possibly 3 teams from the same division in the playoffs.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ahdyledc said:
Has there ever been an NFL division that finished a season with no team in it having a losing record, before? I have to think that it has never happened, or that it has happened once or twice at most.

Yes, the very first year of the realignment, , and save for the 7-9 Carolina Panthers the NFC South almost did.in 2002, both the AFC East and West managed it, and save for the 7-9 Carolina Panthers the NFC South almost did. I believe that's not the first time but will have to research it to be sure.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Impressive. I'm guessing that no division has ever had a finish with every team having a winning record, though.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
IronSaint":m4dk26gk said:
NorCal":m4dk26gk said:
RolandDeschain":m4dk26gk said:
Kaepernick does not handle pressure well a lot of the time, that needs to change before any 49ers fans start thinking he's great. Poor decision-making under pressure will keep him from ever being great if it's not fixed. Also, Kaepernick's a fast runner, but he's not quick. Chris Clemons also ran him down and forced a fumble just out of bounds, too; so I'm not sure how truly fast he is. But either way, I'll take quickness (Russell Wilson, look at that scrambling) over fast. The NFL isn't a track meet.

And what part of Roland's statement is incorrect? Kaepernick does make poor decisions when he's under pressure. The last 49ers' offensive series of the SB proved that. He doesn't progress through is reads as he should; he's either doing a 1-2 read then run, or straight run. You and I know he's only gaining this notoriety because of that defense. Plain and simple is he's a game-manager, and not the game-changer you Niner fans make him out to be.

It's easy to play with a lead, unless you're Matt Ryan; especially when your defense is the one that gives you that lead. His clock management is mediocre at best in addition to not being able to handle crowd noise; a delay of game and 2 wasted timeouts vs. us this year is a perfect example. Without the defense bailing you guys out twice, you lose that game.

I agree with a large part of this post, but I also believe that CK is a game "changer". It isn't that he is unbeatable, but what I see is that only a few teams are really "built" to beat the Niners as a whole. The recipe is simple.

Physical Defense
Balanced Offense

A team does not have to be the best at either of those things, they just have to be good at it. I said this prior to the Super Bowl when I picked the Ravens to win and it really goes without saying that teams like that are going to win most of their games. There just isn't a lot of them. Many teams do one thing, REALLY well and it is enough to get them over the hump in games and dominate in others. Look at the teams that beat the CK led Niners.

Rams - Good running game, fair passing game, TOUGH defense.
Seattle - GREAT running game, Good passing game that is improving, GREAT defense.
Ravens - GREAT running game, Good passing game, good defense.

If you look at the teams the CK Niners beat, you will find some weakness in either one and in some cases two aspects of their game. That doesn't mean they are bad, I am just saying that the Niners tend to succeed against those teams and struggle against teams that have SOMETHING going in every part of the game. Those one-dimensional teams are usually good enough to win most of their games, but the CK Niners are different in that they expose those teams at some point in a game.

When I see Seattle, I see a team that has a better chance of winning those games against the balanced teams. Against the Rams, they figured out a way. They didn't take a lot of risks and eventually finished the drives. Against the Niners, they couldn't quite get it done in SF, but that was for a variety of reasons and they lost by a touchdown, which ultimately was the worst beating they took all year. In Seattle, they showed what they have grown into, they moved the ball one way or another on SF and it KILLED them, while punishing them on defense. They did lose to STL on the road, but that game was tight like the rest and really we had it at the end. Can't believe how many games the Hawks lost on the road in final seconds.

This is why regardless of schedule, I think the Seahawks will at a minimum keep pace with SF. The Seahawks won their road games in the second half of the season, that is because the team was playing better all around football. They will win more road games in 2013, book it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
And I'm not saying the Rams won't be better, they will be, I'm just saying again that there is still room for improvement with both the Hawks and the Niners. The Rams will need to keep that pace.

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":24ron5vo said:
And I'm not saying the Rams won't be better, they will be, I'm just saying again that there is still room for improvement with both the Hawks and the Niners. The Rams will need to keep that pace.

With how many draft picks the Niners and Seahawks have, I fully expect some improvements on both sides there. That's saying a lot with how stacked these two teams currently are. What are the Niners at, 14 prior to the Alex Smith trade? That's insane!

Though I fully expect both to trade out for future picks.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The biggest factors for a QB is cerebral ability and work ethic. We know that Wilson not only possess's these traits but excels at both. Keap has some amazing physical skills that are very helpful but unless he is cerebral and has an outstanding work ethic you can expect defenses to catch up to him. There are obvious disadvantages of stepping in mid season like Keap did but there are also advantages in that teams don't have tape on you as was witnessed in the GB playoff game were GB obviously had no clue how to defend against the pistol or read option.

We will find out soon if Keap possess's these traits. My gut feeling is he is relying heavily on his physical talent and will take a sizable step backwards next season when defense adjust.

As for the division. I think Seattle wins it rather handily. Likely a 12 win season and I predict a sweep of the Niners. Niners fans can be excited all they want but the two most important players on that team are heading rapidly into the dreaded age barrier that cannot be avoided. Gore turns 30 years old in May and Justin Smith turns 34 in September. There should be no question how important those two players are to that team and right now they have no real replacements for either.

Looking at the last few drafts it is pretty easy to question if the Niners can find suitable replacements. Last years draft alone netted zero starters. Even their first round pick didn't have a single catch last year and that was competing against an ancient vet in Moss and a kickoff returner in Ginn. The previous year netted Aldon Smith who completely disappeared without Just Smith (again, turning 34 soon) and Keap who really has a huge question mark on him. They also drafted Culliver in the 3rd round who got filleted repeatedly in the super bowl and made public appearances bashing the gay populous of the the largest gay market on the planet. Keep in mind that draft followed a year of 6 wins and they were picking very high. Last year they were picking at the end of the draft and this year will be even worse.

I don't know if the Rams will surpass them next year but I would bet money it will be sooner than any Niner fan thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts