vance McDonald-TE 6-4 267lbs 34.38 arms 10.13 hands 4.69 40

sliv

Reaction score
It looks like the Hawks could get him 3rd or 4th round, but he has big time upside, I see value here for us to add another weapon for RW without wasting a 1st round pick. I like Tyler Eifert and would be stoked if we drafted him but I still want pass rush and defensive line and the first round seems like the best way to add top talent on the defensive line.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft...ght-weight-arm-length-measurements/in/3782875

Too many drops needs to get better in this area but pretty strong blocker overall, looks to have the strength and size to play inline although they play him in the slot...
[youtube]tX9dKo8E574[/youtube]

Not a ton of video on him but makes a solid catch here to win the game at the 3:19 mark...
[youtube]uR34u7xJHTY[/youtube]

Not alot on him but on the 3:14 mark he makes a nice high point catch in the endzone...
[youtube]icARXDLRJgg[/youtube]

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Poor man's Rob Gronk but not the same pass catcher. If he can fix his bobbling and dropping issues then he might end up being a steal.

I would not mind drafting him in round 3-4 range.

GCrow

Reaction score
His 40 came in at 4.67, while weighing 267 that pretty nuts.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
GCrow":9romigvj said:
His 40 came in at 4.67, while weighing 267 that pretty nuts.

That's right. The athleticism is there without a doubt. In fact, his numbers are a lot identical to Rob Gronkowski's numbers.

Rob Gronkowski
Height:6'6"
Weight:264 lbs.
Arm Length:34 1/4 in.
Hand Size:10 3/4 in.
40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
Bench press: 23 reps

Vance McDonald
Height:6'4"
Weight:267 lbs.
Arm Length:34 3/8 in.
Hand Size:10 1/8 in.
40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
Bench press: 31 reps

If PC can do what he did to Anthony McCoy when it comes to catching passes then he might end up being a steal. Really interesting prospect though

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am going to be surprised if Vance makes it out of the 2nd. I have thought getting him in the third to be unlikely since the Senior Bowl.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Scotte - how would you compare him to:
TE - Chris Gragg, Arkansas 6-3 244 4.50 4.44 1.53 37.5 18 33.58 9.08

Aaron Hernandez, is a comparable I've heard mentioned

Kip's take: If you didn’t see him line up you would never know he’s a TE, looks like a WR. I am reasonably sure that he added weight the last couple months just to get up to 244- he didn’t play at that. Good blocker, great athlete. Seems like a player that is up our alley- teams might put the tweener label on him, but he did just run a 4.44 at 244 pounds, not many WRs can do that, let alone TEs. Seattle likes great athletes without defined positions

[youtube]49dhCOLxzDE[/youtube]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":j2vwz7jq said:
4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.

Agree with this part. Gavin Escobar didn't have a great workout but he is the best pass catcher in this year's TE group in my opinion.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":zwnriglp said:
Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff. Clearly Eifert is the better player, but who said he wasn't? I don't understand the comparison, I would rather compare him to the group we have in Seattle already, and McDonald is an immediate upgrade to our tight ends. Like the OP mentioned, it would spare us using the 25 on a tight end too.

As far as hype, He isn't often mentioned as one of the top 5 tight ends, so I can't say he is "hyped". Facts: He runs good routes and got separation on players at the Senior bowl, where he made some difficult catches look easy and some easy catches look hard. He has an 80" plus wingspan and 10 inch hands. I personally thought he had great body control for any tight end, let alone one that big, and he looks like an easy runner. Inevitable physical comparisons to Gronkowski is why I think he will go in the 2nd.

BTW, Vance was miscast at Rice, playing him in the slot was a waste of resources, not to mention that that QB is a joke.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kikmvm7i said:
theENGLISHseahawk":kikmvm7i said:
Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff.

My point was that Eifert ran what was considered a pretty mediocre time and McDonald didn't beat it. Thirteen tight ends ran faster than Eifert in the previous three drafts. So even while he is bigger than Eifert, I don't see that time as 'amazing'. Bigger and 4.69 is still 4.69 for a guy who will be used mostly as a pass catcher. McDonald was a pure joker at Rice while at least Eifert had some orthodox blocking duties at ND (wasn't very good at them, mind).

Lane Johnson also ran a 4.72 at 303lbs.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2lwwu6pa said:
Scottemojo":2lwwu6pa said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2lwwu6pa said:
Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff.

My point was that Eifert ran what was considered a pretty mediocre time and McDonald didn't beat it. Thirteen tight ends ran faster than Eifert in the previous three drafts. So even while he is bigger than Eifert, I don't see that time as 'amazing'. Bigger and 4.69 is still 4.69 for a guy who will be used mostly as a pass catcher. McDonald was a pure joker at Rice while at least Eifert had some orthodox blocking duties at ND (wasn't very good at them, mind).

Lane Johnson also ran a 4.72 at 303lbs.
Lane Johnson was also a tight end in the past, and a QB. I adressed the joker part in my edit.

Zach Miller ran a 4.72 and Seattle is paying him 11 million this year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
GoHawks":162ubip7 said:
Scotte - how would you compare him to:
TE - Chris Gragg, Arkansas 6-3 244 4.50 4.44 1.53 37.5 18 33.58 9.08

Aaron Hernandez, is a comparable I've heard mentioned

Kip's take: If you didn’t see him line up you would never know he’s a TE, looks like a WR. I am reasonably sure that he added weight the last couple months just to get up to 244- he didn’t play at that. Good blocker, great athlete. Seems like a player that is up our alley- teams might put the tweener label on him, but he did just run a 4.44 at 244 pounds, not many WRs can do that, let alone TEs. Seattle likes great athletes without defined positions

[youtube]49dhCOLxzDE[/youtube]
Gragg is a different animal. H back for sure. And you are right, Seattle likes those types, but so far the ones we have drafted that size have been late round project guys like Konz.

chris98251

Reaction score
For a TE I would look at how he can disengage and his hands as well as his burst for 10 to 20 yds, after that it's all bonus money, you rarely ask a TE to get in a fly pattern, they just need to get off disengage and get to the seam quickly if it's an up field pattern. They also have to catch the ball with their hands and be able to use their body to block out a defender from the ball.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2f609o57 said:

Sure, but I think the Seahawks are looking for something different to compliment Miller. Just don't think McDonald did anything remarkable today and his tape was pretty mediocre.

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23iwesrs said:

Im glad your not drafting for us....

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":37u5fdhi said:
Scottemojo":37u5fdhi said:

Sure, but I think the Seahawks are looking for something different to compliment Miller. Just don't think McDonald did anything remarkable today and his tape was pretty mediocre.

If your basing your opinion off the little tape I posted about him on this thread I think thats lazy analysis. If your not and have more tape pleas post it because I included all the tape I could find.