Chiefs willing to deal 1st overall

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
dukestar":2dqqk33y said:
TeamoftheCentury":2dqqk33y said:
FlyingGreg":2dqqk33y said:
This is not a draft that is worth moving up to the top 10, let alone #1 overall.

And that's exactly why the Chiefs are willing to trade the pick.
Which means that the value of the overall #1 pick isn't going to demand the same as it did to move up to get RGIII last year. Not you, FlyingGreg, but I think several fellow posters who responded jumped way too quickly on the original poster here. Too, perhaps the Hawks could be part of a 3-way trade that could move Flynn and bring a higher than #25 overall pick.
Thanks Teamo, I was ready to put on the dunce cap and go to the corner after a few of the responses but I think this is exactly the type of draft to move up and get the exact player you need to take it to the next level. If we can unload Flynn at the same time then even better. Perhaps a better option is to swap firsts and Flynn to the Jags. I'm just throwing this out to see what others think ffs and some guys jump down your throat.
Well, I think the deal with Flynn is he actually would be a great QB to have on the Hawks roster another year. But, he wants a chance to start and the Hawks could benefit to not be paying him his contract money (though, that wouldn't be the end of the world to get to keep him another year.) Of course, Flynn is in the Seahawks hand to possibly deal. What I don't understand is why the Chiefs would want Alex Smith over a guy like Matt Flynn. I realize that Smith has more starts and all, but do they want to give up what the 49ers might try to steal from them to rent a guy? Why wouldn't they rather give up something reasonable to the Hawks to get Flynn who can be that younger veteran who can come in and energize the team and fan base. Everyone saw why Flynn didn't start: RW. I've got friends who want Flynn for their QB needy teams. I think Alex Smith would do ok, but if I was a new coach or in need of a new QB, I would much rather bring in Flynn than Smith.

Sounds like most on this board think that you get pretty much the same or similar player at 25 that you do earlier in the round (or not much drop off.) Deep draft, but not discernible elite talent. The only thing that matters is what JS and PC / the Seahawks collectively think is worthwhile. At this point... there are seemingly endless possibilities from any fans perspective. None of us are going to know anything about any real possibilities. I don't think it's probable that the Hawks will outright trade into that #1 overall spot. What's interesting to me is that I don't remember an off season where there was quite so much optimism for next season (and I've followed the Hawks every year of their existence.) I don't think it would be a complete violation of their philosophy at this point with the team looking like they're in a position to seriously challenge next season to make some big moves if they conclude that a certain player is more worth the risk than getting a number of players to compete for that same position.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would have to ask is Flynn worth more then a 25th round pick to us based on the grades of this years draft. A qualified back up possibly a starter on another team isn't something you toss out the window. In this Madden era of the draft we easily dismiss someone that isn't adding stats to a fantasy league, but as a legitimate contender for a Super Bowl I think the depth we have is a lot more valuable then given credit for. especially since the drop off of 2nd string QB's that know our system and can move the ball is limited.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Maybe the Chiefs would trade the first pick for Wilson, straight up.

hawksman53

Reaction score
nobody in this dradt worth making a move that would cost us that much.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
If it was next year, I'd give up a TON for Marqise Lee!!

This year: Absolutely nothing. In fact, I kinda hope they trade back depending on who's gone by the 25th pick.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawksman53":12ua7i1f said:
nobody in this dradt worth making a move that would cost us that much.
And... no one is really saying do that. No one is saying let some team fleece Seahawks. Your comment suggests that. In terms of whether or not there are players worth making a move (without injecting the fleece the Seahawks part)... yes, there are players that very well may be worthwhile.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":3u4f5fcq said:

This year: Absolutely nothing. In fact, I kinda hope they trade back depending on who's gone by the 25th pick.
Absolutely nothing, huh? Therefore, no players will be taken until the 25th selection (and... wouldn't that, then, make that player the 1st overall pick?)

Subzero717

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2tuvulvo said:
bigdaddydave":2tuvulvo said:

Absolutely nothing, huh? Therefore, no players will be taken until the 25th selection (and... wouldn't that, then, make that player the 1st overall pick?)

Huh?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":7opx1n1r said:
TeamoftheCentury":7opx1n1r said:
bigdaddydave":7opx1n1r said:

Huh?
Your right, I read it wrong. Perhaps not enough coffee before reading posts. I read too many posts in a row and assumed that the poster was saying there is no player worth trading up for. Re-reading, I think what was meant was don't give up anything for a higher pick in the 1st. (I still think there might be players worth trading up for. But, not the point of this comment, apparently.) My apologies to bigdaddydave and gratitude to you CaliHawk1 for pointing out confusion.

strohmin

Reaction score
Id rather stock up on 3rd 4th and 5th round picks where JS and PC have done some of their best work.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This draft is going to be like the 2009 draft. You don't want to be in the top 10, but 15-25 are going to be bursting with great players.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1jqqydi4 said:
This draft is going to be like the 2009 draft. You don't want to be in the top 10, but 15-25 are going to be bursting with great players.

I know what you are saying, it's just why not draft those players in the top ten then?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":7l7j42gw said:
This is not a top heavy draft, which is exactly why the Chiefs want to move down. All the teams in the top 5 probably do

Can you imagine how frantically teams would be trying to trade down this year if the rookie pay scale wasn't in effect? Imagine having to pay $60 million for somebody in this draft class. Yikes!