Brady agrees to 3-year extension, $27m

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Anybody else think this is very cheap? Peyton's making double what Brady is. Wow. Dude obviously took a pay cut to help his team, I guess?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-p ... deos_brady

Is Brady actually a humble guy? I can't imagine any other reason for him to sign for $9m/year when Brees and Peyton are making $20m per year and $19m per year each, respectively, with escalators.

I'm impressed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Last year, Mark Sanchez signed a 3-year extension for $40 million. Chew on that.

To be fair, word is that the remaining salary on Brady's contract is fully guaranteed. Still, seems like a pretty significant hometown discount.

Reaction score
Brady's wife is worth something like $150 million. Yeah, he can afford to take a pay cut.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":6kenpdau said:
Last year, Mark Sanchez signed a 3-year extension for $40 million. Chew on that.

To be fair, word is that the remaining salary on Brady's contract is fully guaranteed. Still, seems like a pretty significant hometown discount.

This is probably the most important part. Brady is 35 and he just got a guarantee through 2017 when he'll be 39 (at the end of the season. He turns 40 that summer, according to wikipedia). It's unrealistic to think he has that many more years, so he's really just locked up a bunch of money to sit on the bench if it comes to that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't care why he did it, this is one of the coolest things I have heard in a long time.

Joe Flacco is pissed tho.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Regardless of how much his wife has, (terms of their prenuptial agreement aside) just taking flat guaranteed money and nothing for incentives proves his ego isn't that big. A big ego would never let several other QBs earn potentially twice as much as him, and realistically at least 25% more than him.

Seriously, I am impressed. This gives me a new point of view on Tom Brady.

Also, I agree with Scotte; not only is Flacco pissed, but every other good QB, too.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Brady is a smart man. He has seen how this elite QB money is destroying salary cap situations and handicapping teams, and he wants to win, bad. I don't think he cares about anything else, really.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Agreed, Pink; and I applaud him for it. Damn, he might just be my favorite non-Seahawk in the NFL, now; and I didn't give two craps about him before today. He put his money where his mouth was, so to speak; and alienated himself from the rest of the elite crop of QBs in the league, lol.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've always liked Brady and here's just another reason why.

Russell Wilson is still the best value at the QB position (probably at any position) in the NFL though!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Was just listening to NFL Access and one of the guys, didn't turn to look, talked about his experience with contract-talks involving Brady. Said that his agent and team officials were going back and forth and Brady comes in and asks "Where are we at?" Or "How far along are we?" He just wanted to get the contract done and over with and ended taking a lot less than Manning. He also said Brady said something like "At the end of the day, nobody cares how much money you made. It's all about how many Lombardi trophies do you have."

I thought that showed a lot about Brady's character.

themunn

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1vfvg5ue said:
Brady's wife is worth something like $150 million. Yeah, he can afford to take a pay cut.

I'm fairly certain that after a 15 year career with god knows how many endorsements he's worth a few dollars himself.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
-The Glove-":32cd51b0 said:
Was just listening to NFL Access and one of the guys, didn't turn to look, talked about his experience with contract-talks involving Brady. Said that his agent and team officials were going back and forth and Brady comes in and asks "Where are we at?" Or "How far along are we?" He just wanted to get the contract done and over with and ended taking a lot less than Manning. He also said Brady said something like "At the end of the day, nobody cares how much money you made. It's all about how many Lombardi trophies do you have."

I thought that showed a lot about Brady's character.

True. i remember during the 49ers game in the 4th quarter Brady was livid and yelling at his teammates. the guy wants to win. i admire him wanting to win over taking a fat check home. i could see Wilson doing this in the future too. the dude turned down a million dollars when we was like 20. when its all said and done i hope Wilson has more Lombardi trophies then Brady :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JSeahawks":x2ounbdp said:

Russell Wilson is still the best value at the QB position (probably at any position) in the NFL though!

Naw, 6th-round pick for Brady, 3rd for Wilson. Wilson would have to get more rings than Brady for that to be potentially true. Which he very well might do, though.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This move is probably to keep Wes Welker around for awhile. Getting a big contract probably inhibits them from signing Welker to anything remotely close to what Wes seems to want, so Brady took less money. Not that $9 million isn't a lot, but compared to other elite QBs he's making chump change to try and win it all again before he retires. Pretty cool.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":milcvvzt said:
JSeahawks":milcvvzt said:

Naw, 6th-round pick for Brady, 3rd for Wilson. Wilson would have to get more rings than Brady for that to be potentially true. Which he very well might do, though.

Well yea, career wise for sure, i was more just talking for this season alone. Wilson's still being paid like a 3rd round rookie, Brady's not being paid like a 6th rounder anymore. This season I think Wilson's probably the best value in the NFL.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":pcy2a3ri said:
I don't care why he did it, this is one of the coolest things I have heard in a long time.

Joe Flacco is pissed tho.

lol.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Never had a problem with Brady. And I like this move he made. It proves he is not afraid to put his team's well-being ahead of his own.

mikeak

Reaction score
apparently $20 million is guaranteed no matter what, an additional $37 million is guaranteed in case of injury.

That is huge. I realize he could have gotten more for each year but one big hit and that money would have existed on paper only. Now one big hit he can have surgery and drink margaritas on the beach and get paid well......

This is a huge part $57 million guaranteed in case of injury... $20 regardless

Then you add more signing bonus immediately. Taxes have already gone up for those making that kind of money and may go up even more over the next year. Frontloading now is huge. Get it invested and earn money on it instead of maybe making it later.

This is a great team decision but it is also great for Tom Brady. Could probably have done better but there would have been a risk with that

Lots of people are comparing to Flacco. I didn't verify but I read that Flacco has earned $8 million in his career. Tom Brady is on his third contract....... huge difference. Sure if Flacco gets $80 million guaranteed he will sign a five year deal for $17.5 / year over a $20 million guaranteed $20 million / year 5 year contract

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Brady has already had his big money contracts. He's on the decline of his career and realizes that he's got a good thing going, especially if he leaves the team with some money to fill in the gaps. He's got good protection, good weapons, a good coach and a quality organization. He could stick it to them for another few million probably, but it won't help him win games.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2cklnpug said:
Anybody else think this is very cheap? Peyton's making double what Brady is. Wow. Dude obviously took a pay cut to help his team, I guess?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-p ... deos_brady

Is Brady actually a humble guy? I can't imagine any other reason for him to sign for $9m/year when Brees and Peyton are making $20m per year and $19m per year each, respectively, with escalators.

I'm impressed.

Several years ago ('03-'04?) he did a credit card commercial. They had actors as his lineman. He asked if he could bring in his OL and they said it wasn't in the budget. He told them to take half of his $500,000 he was getting, bring in his 5 OL, give them $50,000 each for them to be in it. So for 1 days work he took care of his lineman to the tune of $50K each.

I've always liked/respected him.