Cornelius Washington, LEO?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Just blew up the combine. Seems like he had very positive reviews at the senior bowl, too.

Anyone watch him play? Could he be a Leo? Seems to have all the measurables, power, and speed.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Read my mind. Ideal LEO. Higher ceiling than Clem. Bigger, faster, stronger. Sound familiar?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I would not mind us drafting this guy at all. He is taller n heavier than Clemons and almost as fast Irvin. Very hard to find players like him that can be play the Leo role for us with that kind of speed n size combination.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
He is more of a D-linemen than a LB in my opinion. He is very raw in coverage but he is extremely strong. 36 reps on bench press is very impressive. He is definitely a rare prospect when you look at the measurables but not sure how good his film is. Hopefully, someone like Kearly or English can do in depth film study on this guy.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
I would love to find a future 3 down LEO and his measurables sure say he could be that guy. Like someone else said he has great size and speed for our LEO position. In my opinion there are 3 key things a LEO can be good or bad at. Rushing the passer, holding up against the run and being able to drop in coverage playing the pass. I think if you can find a guy that does 2 of those things pretty well you are looking good. If you can find a guy that can do all 3 then watch out. Future All Pro.

Looking at Clem he is obviously good at rushing the passer. He also seems to be average or above average(for his size) against the run. I am not sure how much he actually drops in coverage but I think he can handle it a little.

Now you move on to Bruce. He obviously can rush the passer. Even though he has the speed and athleticism to be successful dropping in coverage we haven't seen it yet. He also can't hold up against the run yet. Now I have my doubts he will ever develop into a guy who can hold the edge on run plays or that he can be successful dropping in coverage but that is why I used the words yet. I really hope he can become good or even average at those 2 skills. Even if he doesn't though he can still be our long time situational speed rusher who comes in for Red on passing downs. If he can do that and pick up around 10+ sacks a year he still is a very valuable asset.

My pessimism of Bruce ever becoming that 3 down LEO makes me think drafting another LEO early in this draft isn't out of the realm of possibility. I would love to see the Hawks draft Washington. Currently he has a 5th round grade by nfldraftscout.com. I am guessing after the combine though he may end up moving up higher in the draft. This FO obviously doesn't take into account what others think and aren't afraid to take the player they really want early to make sure they get them. I am not saying they would draft him in the first but is drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd a possibility?

I would not be mad at all if the Hawks could pick up a 3T DT in the first, Swope/Wheaton/Woods in the 2nd and this dude in the 3rd. Then draft a WILL or MIKE(move wags to WILL) in the 4th, an OL and TE in the 5th, a corner in the 6th and 3 boom or bust type players with their 3 7th round picks. I would like to see them use one of those 7th round picks on a guy like Marquis Wilson from WSU. Even with his baggage he could be a legit NFL receiver.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I'm not saying Washington won't be a good player, but he hasn't slipped past people undiscovered until a blistering 40 time. Watching him is underwhelming.
(IF you just must find video, look up Jones and Ogletree and watch for 83, You will be underwhelmed)

I have a hard time thinking Georgia coaches were just morons who didn't know how good he was.

Now, Phil Savage released his own report on the Senior Bowl on Feb. 19, and he has Cornelius as a player who stood out at the Senior Bowl.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Is he a workout warrior though? I had never even heard of this guy. How is his film?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
It's very hard to find his film. I still think that it's worth reaching a little bit for guys like him in the draft. Our scheme is unique and it's very hard to find guys that are similar to Chris Clemons. He might me more valuable to us than to other teams. He put up some crazy numbers at the combine. We should target him in round 3-4 based off his potential.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3juhnkwl said:
It's very hard to find his film. I still think that it's worth reaching a little bit for guys like him in the draft. Our scheme is unique and it's very hard to find guys that are similar to Chris Clemons. He might me more valuable to us than to other teams. He put up some crazy numbers at the combine. We should target him in round 3-4 based off his potential.

His film is easy to find. Just watch Jones/Ogletree cutups and look for 83.

aawolf

Reaction score
This guy has Raiders written all over him...freak combine athelete, without any play-making ability. He only had 22 total tackles last year. He either doesn't have a nose for the ball or is not very good at what he will need to be able to do the best--tackling.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Found some more info on "Yukon Cornelius" :D from the Senior Bowl

Official” 2013 Senior Bowl Practices Review

South DL

Nine athletes comprised this group of defensive linemen with five being inside tackles and four being outside ends. Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage breaks down their individual performances including their pass rush wins and losses and then ranks them in order based on the Monday through Wednesday practices only.

1. #83 Cornelius Washington/Georgia

DE 6040/264 33 7-8” arm/9 1-4” hand

Cornelius played multiple positions in Georgia’s 3-4 package, but at the Senior Bowl, he lined up at defensive end all week. With one assignment in mind, to get upfield and create pressure on the QB, he accomplished his goal by showing initial quickness, strength and effort. He took the fight to his opponents by screaming off the edge and attacking with his hands.

There is no doubt that the 4-3 teams will go back and give him another look after this performance. He has the frame, long arms and motor to contribute as a Sub rusher in his rookie season. Cornelius elevated his stock from late-round flyer to legitimate mid-round candidate. He has the tools for a quality defensive line coach to develop very quickly.

1-on-1 Pass Rush- Wins: 6 Losses: 2

Senior Bowl Scoop: After registering only a half-sack all season, in the Senior Bowl game, Cornelius tallied a tackle, a sack, a tackle-for-loss and forced a fumble in virtually two quarters of play.

NFL Career Forecast: Potential Starter (within three seasons on a 4-3 team)

http://www.seniorbowl.com/article.asp?articleID=515

two dog

Reaction score
I really like the idea. I'm fearful that we may not have Clemons for a full year
and some folks, the more pessimistic, are saying maybe not at all.

I don't have the scouting skills of some here, several of which I think are pretty
advanced, but have been combing the lists with a Clemons replacement in mind.

This could be the guy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Call me cynical, but when a rocked up guy with no production at all comes from a big program, I get a Ben Johnson vibe.

Chawker

Reaction score
He played RDE at the senior bowl and looked so natural dipping his shoulder and turning the corner against some of the best OT's in college. I'm not sure if he has a rip move or a spin move, but had a very quick first step coming off the ball. Definitely a 4-3 type.