Oh my God, Chiefs trade for Alex Smith..

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Oh my God, Chiefs trade for Alex Smith..
Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ebook_news

2nd-round pick, and maybe more? What the hell? I can almost guarantee this will fail. Reid's already setting himself up to get fired in a couple of years. Alex Smith hasn't been able to do crap in more offensive systems than I can count on one hand in his career, and he finally found some success with a dumbed-down offense that only worked because of great talent around him with the 49ers. The Chiefs do not have that. What are they thinking? Shaking my head...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Nothing against Alex, but that 49er starting QB job is the kooshiest in the entire NFL. A great offensive mind with a decade of 1st rounders across the line. I still dont know if Alex is good or starting quality, guess we'll find out.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Wow... That's a huge price for Smith IMO, but then we as Seahawks fans knew him before he was seen as a good quarterback.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

• Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls
    Goddamn it Andy. RT @3k_ SF gets two 2nd round picks...a Super Bowl team from NFC West just traded backup QB for 2 2nd rounders. Shit.

Just how many incriminating photos of Andy Reid does Harbaugh have?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• 2 2nd rounders? Holy shiz...Wtf?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• If that's true, that it's two 2nd-rounders...I am in awe of Reid's stupidity, and I feel sorry for Chiefs fans.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls
    Goddamn it Andy. RT @3k_ SF gets two 2nd round picks...a Super Bowl team from NFC West just traded backup QB for 2 2nd rounders. Shit.

Just how many incriminating photos of Andy Reid does Harbaugh have?

Not sure about the two 2nd rounders. The only thing I've seen is a 2nd round in 2013 and MAYBE something in 2014...

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Good for Smith, bad for Chiefs and great for 9ers. At least one high 2nd round pick (think it is the 2nd pick in the 2nd, since they flop with Jaguars on alternate rounds).

If I were a neutral observer I would congratulate the 9ers on getting this type of value for Smith. But since it is a division foe, I am going to have to reflect Danny Kelly's response.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• RolandDeschain wrote:If that's true, that it's two 2nd-rounders...I am in awe of Reid's stupidity, and I feel sorry for Chiefs fans.

He probably misread the trade agreement. Thought it said "two 2lb. sliders".
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Yeah, the only really bright spot is that there is the remote chance that this sets a higher value on Flynn for any team remaining out there that might want a QB. Difference is that I'd bet Smith will be handed the starting job while Flynn's going to have to compete for a shot wherever he ends up.

Come on, Gus, don't you want to bring Flynn over to Jax for a 3rd?

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I bet you Revis is a 49er in a few weeks. They have so many draft picks and so few spots on their roster to fill.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls
    fart noise RT @Jimmy_Beast If accurate, Niners' picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7. Also projected to get 4, 7, 7 comp picks. Unreal.

Great year to have so many picks in round 2 and 3. The only way this is going to make me feel a little better is if we get at least a 3rd round pick for Matt Flynn from the Jaguars.

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• Ridiculous. I really hope the 49ers suck at drafting this year.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Wow, 9er fans have a reason to celebrate today. KC seems to have gotten fleeced
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• AbsolutNET wrote:Wow, 9er fans have a reason to celebrate today. KC seems to have gotten fleeced

SEEMS?

The Chiefs don't have an elite roster to fluff up a mediocre QB to the point of winning games like the 49ers did when Harbaugh came to town. This is going to get Reid fired in a couple of years if he doesn't find a real QB in the next two years, most likely.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• That's just crazy. Good for the 49ers I guess. Don't see how this can possibly turn out well for Reid and the Chiefs.
    DannyMcGwire
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Ridiculous. I really hope the 49ers suck at drafting this year.

There is NO way they keep all 15 picks. They're either trading for a Revis or Harvin, or moving up in the 1st round to get their guy.

The Niners are like us, they don't have room for 10-15 rookies. And now with Smith's salary off the books.. this is an even bigger coup.

F'n Kansas City man.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Wow. The amount of draft capital the Niners just scored in this trade is not good news.

I thought it'd be more like a 3rd or 4th for Smith. Damn.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Could you guys imagine 49ers grabbing DeAndre Hopkins and Ryan Swope both? Eddie Lacy to back up Gore? Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz as their second TE?

Or trade up and grab a solid DT to eventually replace Justin Smith?

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Chiefs fans' reaction to this move, with a hat tip to @FauxJohnMadden on Twitter:

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Got to hand it to the 49ers, this is the kind of move that allows you unlimited flexibility. They are going to be able to stack that roster. Yuck
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• The NFL should investigate to find out whether Andy Reid was roofied by a 49ers employee prior to this. I can totally see Jim Harbaugh keeping a baggy in his pocket with some Rohypnol.

@ K.C.'s finest steak house: "Hi, Andy! I took the liberty of ordering this fine bottle of wine and having you a glass poured for our meeting. Enjoy!"
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Horrible news for the Hawks. Can't believe people were trying to spin this as a good thing for us (increasing Flynn's value)
    SuperHawks
    NET Starter

• wow first pick in the second round, conditional pick next year. We'll probably have to hold Flynn w/ no market. Sweet :49ersmall:
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I hope Alex flourishes over in KC. The dudes been through hell and back. I am a little jealous of all the picks the niners get this year but I think in the end it will be RW that tilts the scale in our favor. Anyone anywhere.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Now that Alex Smith is out of SF, I am actually going to root for the guy to succeed.

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• SuperHawks wrote:Horrible news for the Hawks. Can't believe people were trying to spin this as a good thing for us (increasing Flynn's value)

It's not truly horrible until after we see what happens with the draft. Just merely getting the picks, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing for the Hawks.

It also isn't necessarily positive for the Seahawks either. Just because there's one team that overpayed for a starting qb doesn't mean another will overpay for a backup qb.

With that said though, we did get a pick for Jackson, which many didn't believe to be possible, so Flynn should attract SOME attention and given Smith's price tag, we can push the envelope a little and try for a higher pick.

The Niners had 11 picks to our 10. if the stories are true that they get a 2nd round pick, that puts them at 12 to our 10. Still not a horrible difference. They do have (I believe) a thrid and a second round pick now over us, but we have more picks later. Honestly, both teams have a pretty solid core of starters, and the draft is mostly for depth, so I really don't see it as too big of an issue right now.

Of course come draft day we'll know for sure just what they are doing, but honestly, I have faith that even with the extra picks, we can have a relatively close to even draft day with them, and will still go into next season primed to contend for the NFC West crown.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Kid, while you have a valid point, the fact remains that even a broken clock is right twice per day and the 49ers have so many picks this year, and the draft is widely considered to be one of the deepest ever, that they could randomly throw darts at their draft board to determine who to grab and likely come away with a couple of new starters.

This sucks. I hope we beat their asses black & blue both times this year.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Kid, while you have a valid point, the fact remains that even a broken clock is right twice per day and the 49ers have so many picks this year, and the draft is widely considered to be one of the deepest ever, that they could randomly throw darts at their draft board to determine who to grab and likely come away with a couple of new starters.

This sucks. I hope we beat their asses black & blue both times this year.

That possibility is there for sure, I'm not saying it isn't, but they haven't done it yet, and honestly, they have a lot of starters returning this year, so they will be mostly drafting for depth.

I think this draft does more for them in a few years to keep them in contention, than it will do for them this upcoming season.

I still will wait and see what actually happens in the draft before I start to worry...I'd also like to believe that as long as we continue to have Kaepernick's number like we did last year, it won't matter :)

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• The Niners had 14 picks prior to this one if you include compensatory picks, which includes an expected 3rd rounder... This is just insane now.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• QuickLightning wrote:The Niners had 14 picks prior to this one if you include compensatory picks, which includes an expected 3rd rounder... This is just insane now.

Have they announced compensatory picks or is this just the speculation? I hadn't heard that they announced them yet.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• kidhawk wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:The Niners had 14 picks prior to this one if you include compensatory picks, which includes an expected 3rd rounder... This is just insane now.

Have they announced compensatory picks or is this just the speculation? I hadn't heard that they announced them yet.

You can get pretty close to figuring it out looking at players lost minus players gained and the corresponding salary given.

The Seahawks are also likely to get 2 with 4 losses in the offseason and 2 players gained.

http://12thmanrising.com/2013/01/30/sea ... 013-draft/
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• QuickLightning wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:The Niners had 14 picks prior to this one if you include compensatory picks, which includes an expected 3rd rounder... This is just insane now.

You can get pretty close to figuring it out looking at players lost minus players gained and the corresponding salary given.

The Seahawks are also likely to get 2 with 4 losses in the offseason and 2 players gained.

http://12thmanrising.com/2013/01/30/sea ... 013-draft/

I'd seen the estimations, it just sounded from your post like they'd already been announced. Was just curious if they had. I thought they were announced closer to the draft.

I still think, even with this trade, that we have the draft capitol to keep up with the Niners draftwise, and have a good shot at the NFC West title this season. Of course we still have a shot to add to ours if we decide to shop Flynn now that Smith is off the market

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I think all four teams are in prime position to take the division. With all the high end draft picks the Rams got, they would have to be pretty dumb to miss out on some high end talent. The Cardinals are just a QB and a few offensive linemen away from being a SERIOUS threat with the scary defense they have.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• AbsolutNET wrote:Wow, 9er fans have a reason to celebrate today. KC seems to have gotten fleeced

If the 9ers fans have messageboards like .NET, then there's probably a ridiculous segment of fans who are gnashing their teeth over the loss of their backup QB and saying things like, "Would YOU be comfortable with a rookie backup?!? Well, you're going to have to find out now11!!1!"

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• After comp picks, they will have something like 18 picks. No way they are even thinking about keeping all of those. Too many rookies that wouldn't make a talented roster.

Harvin and or Revis will be in San Fran soon. That or some serious trading up for the exact players they want.

Great position to be in.

Now, I must go laugh at the sole chiefs fan in my office.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:Could you guys imagine 49ers grabbing DeAndre Hopkins and Ryan Swope both? Eddie Lacy to back up Gore? Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz as their second TE?

This won't happen. They're going to package these picks for a player they want.. whether that's an NFL veteran (Revis, Harvin, etc) or a guy in the upper part of the draft is the only thing that remains to be seen.

They simply don't have the roster spots for FIFTEEN rookies.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• kidhawk wrote:I'd also like to believe that as long as we continue to have Kaepernick's number like we did last year, it won't matter :)

That was Kaepernick's "First NFL 'deer in the headlights'" game. We're not going to see him look that lost again. That pissy, maybe, when we're beating his ass; but not that lost. Also, I was referring more to future seasons when I mentioned drafting starters than this season, though I can almost guarantee at least one of their picks will be a starter of some kind. Unless they keep drafting people like A.J. Jenkins.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

Anybody know who SF's backup QB is now?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

They could trade for Flynn? :D
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Good move by the 49ers. Not gonna stress about it though. Seahawks need to get better regardless of what their opponents do.

The only other qb on the roster listed is Scott Tolzien. I'm guessing they'll pick up someone with one of their draft picks, a free agent or both.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out of a closet and tell me I just got punk'd. This can't be true. TWO second round picks? Did they see the first 5 years of his career?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• JesterHawk wrote:Did they see the first 5 years of his career?

I imagine they're much more concerned with the most recent 1.5 seasons than they are with anything he did as a rookie.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    SeahawksFanForever wrote:Could you guys imagine 49ers grabbing DeAndre Hopkins and Ryan Swope both? Eddie Lacy to back up Gore? Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz as their second TE?

This won't happen. They're going to package these picks for a player they want.. whether that's an NFL veteran (Revis, Harvin, etc) or a guy in the upper part of the draft is the only thing that remains to be seen.

They simply don't have the roster spots for FIFTEEN rookies.

If they are going to package these picks for a player then want then I expect that player to be a rookie in this draft. They can not afford Revis or Harvin because of their cap issues. They're already paying a lot of guys, and Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Iupati, and Kaepernick are up soon.

And, getting a rookie D-linemen to eventually replace Justin Smith makes the most sense to me. Either way, they are going to have a lot of options.
    Last edited by SeahawksFanForever on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:Image

LOL! I just uploaded this and posted it on my ONLY Whiner friend's FB wall.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Scott Tolzien looked good in preseason. Many were expecting him to be above Kaepernick in the draft chart because he was a better pocket passer.

He can't scramble though.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• First thought, Bwhahahaha KC got jobbed. Second Thought, Screw the Whiners, can't believe they received that for Alex Smith.

This is a crazy move, on par with the Ponder reach by Minnesota.

I just don't want Suck Fest picking up any of our targets, b*ttholes.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• I suspect Harbaugh will bring in a veteran backup for cheap. Suppose they could also be in the market for a EJ Manuel or Matt Scott with their offense
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information