Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
After listening to KJR this morning, if their numbers they talked about are right I'm A-O-K keeping flynn and just cutting him next year. Moving him means we'd have to sign another back-up so in the end we would really end up only saving about 750k towards the cap. To me it's not worth it, unless he really wants to go and is simply unhappy and a crybaby pee-pants as a backup. While he's an unproven starter I don't think anyone would disagree that he's one of the few backups in the league that inspires much confidence if he has to step in and play.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think it improves the market tbh. While not playing I think he is comparable to some degree. The Jags maybe with someone like Bradley that knows his skill set. The Browns with a guru like Turner that had good resulrs with the Smith. They could both realistically give up a mid rounder.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":leu0zblo said:
Missing_Clink":leu0zblo said:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.

You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Gonna be a great offseason for the Niners!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":39d111ew said:
I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.

Alex Smith at least led the Niners on the brink of a Super Bowl..

Matt Flynn COULD be really good, or he could be another Matt Cassel.

I mean both are hard to sell to the fan-base but I have to believe the Smith deal is a bit easier to justify.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I will be very happy with a 3rd, and completely content with a 4th, ok with a 5th. JS is magic.

hawksman53

Reaction score
Now that this happened...Lets see If Arizona would give up Patrick peterson for Matt Flynn and Leon Washington? Instead of getting a guy like Revis. Patrick Peterson would be able to fill the role of Revis and Washington..Not as good as Revis but good.

ihawk

Reaction score
"the 49ers now have five of the first 93 picks, and are expected to have 15 total once compensatory selections are doled out" (from rotoworld.com)

That's not good, especially without that many holes to fill. I can see the 9ers making a big trade with some of those for either a major impact player or to move up in the draft. But I also have to think they'll trade as many of those picks as possible for future picks. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far in the future you can trade picks for? Can teams trade a 3rd this year for like a 1st or 2nd in 2 or 3 years?

hawker84

Reaction score
how is a team that just played in the superbowl in this posistion.? kudos to their front office... unfricken believable..

DavidSeven

Reaction score
At the very least, this probably drives down the value of Nick Foles in the eyes of many.

Reid had him for a year and could have got him for a lot less. Still didn't.

BBHawks

Reaction score
The pick they got from KC was effectively the 34th pick. So, they're sitting there with #31 and #34. That is not good. They could potentially move up into the top 12 picks with those two. But, it's a deep draft and even if they just stay there with those two picks, the division is bound to get a little tougher. The good news is that it might make it easier to move Flynn because the Browns and the Cardinals need a QB just as badly as KC did and Flynn is the best alternative now available.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
12th_Bob":2fvtdo79 said:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.
Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
"the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I'm hearing that the 2014 pick is a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd based on the # of wins KC gets this year.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
tdlabrie":3j7lhepp said:
12th_Bob":3j7lhepp said:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.
Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
"the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.

ESPN and Fox Sports say it's KC second round pick this year and a CONDITIONAL 2014 pick next year.

HUGGY

Reaction score
NinerLifer":27ygb48a said:
Hasselbeck":27ygb48a said:
Missing_Clink":27ygb48a said:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Who they got when Kaepernick gets injured? He doesn't run smart like Wilson. He runs in straight lines. My money says when the NFL starts trying to stop the Pistol they will start with San Francisco because Kaepernick is the most predictable one of the bunch of running QBs.

Smith was ACTUALLY a proven QB unlike our #2. If ya axe me ...which ya didn't ...they screwed the pooch when Colin gets somebuddies foot up his azz.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
NinerLifer":19dqakxn said:
Hasselbeck":19dqakxn said:
Missing_Clink":19dqakxn said:

More likely to package some picks, move up in the first and draft Justin Smith's successor.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
I don't think Flynn has much trade value, if any. There was minimal interest in him as a free agent last season, and he didn't do anything to improve his stock in the preseason or regular season.

I don't think they'll get an offer that they like and he will end up being the backup here next season.

kearly

Reaction score
Remember too that this is a 2nd round pick FROM THE CHIEFS. #34 overall. It's only 3 spots lower than the 49ers 1st rounder.

For the record, I do think Flynn will be traded. Jacksonville and New York (Jets) are looking for competition at quarterback, and both have connections to the Seahawks and Matt Flynn. I'm not expecting much, in fact I could very easily see Seattle trading Flynn straight up for Tim Tebow. Seattle could release Tebow the minute the trade is done if they wanted (his salary has no guaranteed money left), and if they wanted to keep him he'd at least make for a better read-option QB than Flynn. The Jets don't seem to be opposed to a pocket QB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I hate the Niners, this is an incredible deal. 2 second round picks possibly for Alex flippen Smith????

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.