Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?

themunn

Reaction score
People are surprised?

Newsflash

QBs are expensive to trade for. Always have been. Always will be.

HUGGY

Reaction score
sainthawk29":usizy6rk said:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.

What HE SAID...exactamundo!!!!

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
sainthawk29":l75it2hr said:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have to juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lady Talon":241dc7mj said:
Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.

No, it isn't a contract year.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2lxe22on said:
sainthawk29":2lxe22on said:

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
sainthawk29":yo3agjlg said:
NinerLifer":yo3agjlg said:
sainthawk29":yo3agjlg said:

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.

God, I hope you are a football genius.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":udqyai61 said:
Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.
OMG!, OMG!, OMG!
If it does go dow exactly that way, who gives a sh*t?

Reed was canned by the Eagles for being a dumbass, now the Chiefs turn in the barrel.
Holy sh*t, just how stupid was it, that the Chiefs organization let themselves be duped out of a second round pick for Smith?, wouldn't you think that they would have considered a rebuilding of their Offensive line by using their first three rounds?

We probably won't see Flynn take the field next Season, so there's really not a good reason to be concerned with what JS and PC will do with our roster, as they've done pretty well so far, right?

There are some here that are blowing the Flynn situation way out of preportion, and want the Seahawks to just unload him, I just don't buy the need to start pushing any panic butons.
The 49rs haven't just been instantly upgraded, nor were we instantly downgraded.

lukerguy

Reaction score
sainthawk29":1ueb4fh7 said:
NinerLifer":1ueb4fh7 said:
sainthawk29":1ueb4fh7 said:

If you are correct about this, then you are very smart.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Kudos to SFO. It will be interesting to see this unfold over the next few months. They have placed themselves in a very envious position and will really have to "screw the pooch" with some major mistakes for this NOT to pan out for them. Do they bring in young talent and let some of the expensive older guys walk? Do they package picks and move up for a real game-changer? They can literally do whatever they want with all the picks they have. The only thing I see slowing them down is salary CAP and some stupid mistakes which I doubt they will make. As others have mentioned we have a pretty decent amount of picks without the cap issues. We are probably under a little more pressure now but I do trust our front office to come through with a few major "tilt the field" type of players. Hopefully at least one for each side of the ball. This year will be epic and SF is the reason we push and we are the main reason they push. Cant wait to see how it all unfolds.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
I think the only problem you have with Flynn is that he is an over paid backup thanks to PC and your office jumping the gun on a guy after 1 games performance. If your team was able to restructure his deal which might not be even possible, then you should probably keep him.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
travlinhawk":274ou4tk said:
Kudos to SFO. It will be interesting to see this unfold over the next few months. They have placed themselves in a very envious position and will really have to "screw the pooch" with some major mistakes for this NOT to pan out for them. Do they bring in young talent and let some of the expensive older guys walk? Do they package picks and move up for a real game-changer? They can literally do whatever they want with all the picks they have. The only thing I see slowing them down is salary CAP and some stupid mistakes which I doubt they will make. As others have mentioned we have a pretty decent amount of picks without the cap issues. We are probably under a little more pressure now but I do trust our front office to come through with a few major "tilt the field" type of players. Hopefully at least one for each side of the ball. This year will be epic and SF is the reason we push and we are the main reason they push. Cant wait to see how it all unfolds.

Next season will definitely be exciting!

pinksheets

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1ydnhcnr said:
I think the only problem you have with Flynn is that he is an over paid backup thanks to PC and your office jumping the gun on a guy after 1 games performance. If your team was able to restructure his deal which might not be even possible, then you should probably keep him.
You're clueless.

Flynn was on the market for a while, it proved to be rather tepid, and when they saw that they signed him to a deal that, if it didn't work out, paid him only a little more per year than we gave Whitehurst or Tarvaris Jackson. Pay attention this offseason so you can have informed opinions to discuss with us.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1whalpl4 said:
Lady Talon":1whalpl4 said:

It's not a contract year per se, but it is the 3rd year of his 4-year rookie deal, which means that after this season he will be eligible to renegotiate his contract for the first time. If he has even a good 2013 he will be asking for some major bucks next offseason.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NinerLifer":13ix1zy7 said:

Jumping the gun? Man, you bring a wealth of knowledge and insight with you here. Contrary to popular reports, Flynn is not actually making that much. He didn't get a Kolb-type deal. And believe it or not, there was no guarantee that Wilson would be this good, let alone even play this past season.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2a9wdodo said:
Lady Talon":2a9wdodo said:

Thought next year was his 3rd year? maybe I'm wrong I don't care about other team's contracts, lol

rjdriver

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":o6pa88rm said:
No reason we can't get a 2nd rounder for Flynn at this point.

I can think of one reason. No one would be dumb enough to do it.

I hope you're right though