Oh my God, Chiefs trade for Alex Smith..

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":aosvvdyl said:
I'm hoping to find out there was collusion on this. That's got to be the only way this really happened.

Naw, I'm pretty sure roofies is the other possibility.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Wow. Wow! The Chiefs are so stupid it hurts. They traded the farm for Cassell after his one good year, it failed miserably, and now they're correcting the mistake by trading the farm for Smith after one good year? This is astronomically stupid. I'm stunned. I don't know who to feel worse for, Chiefs fans or the rest of the NFC. Harbaugh must be dancing like an old prospector right now. Gold, gold. How appropriate.

The Radish

Reaction score
When Reid had his good years he had a really good down the field QB,(Donovan McNabb wasn't it)?

I don't see Smith being that good a flinger to work in that kind of offense.

just sayin'

:les:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3q2awwej said:
That's the thing, Volsung. Alex Smith is not a solid game manager. He's a only a solid game manager on an otherwise elite team, which the Chiefs are far from being. A solid game manager only requires a decent team to break above an even record, not a great one.

Gonna have to disagree with you, then, both on what constitutes a "solid game manager" and whether Alex Smith is one.

A solid game manager will only be as good as the team around him, and his primary job will be to avoid turning the ball over.

The 49ers put him in charge of an otherwise elite team, and he responded by doing what was asked of him for the most part. In 2011, he dinked and dunked a ton, but made sure to avoid turnovers like the plague - and that paid off pretty well for the 49ers. This year, his performances were better, as he had a higher completion percentage and YPA while continuing to limit bad plays and turnovers.

And you have to think that's important to Reid as he's trying to rework the Chiefs. Smith's not going to turn the ball over much. Outside of the Giants game this past season, you have to go back to early in the 2010 season to find the last time Smith had a multi-pick game.

In the end, the evidence on Smith points to a guy who can be quite accurate and will protect the ball. And if you give him good coaching and good support, he can win plenty of games. I imagine that Reid considers himself a good coach, so there's part of that equation already done.

What we can agree on, though, is that the amount of compensation is kind of ridiculous. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that Smith went to KC for the Chiefs' 2nd round pick. What surprised me is that there was a 2014 pick involved at all.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there because I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet.

John Clayton was on with Brock and Salk this morning and made it really clear that the details of this are pretty sketchy at this point. What's unknown at this point is whether or not:

A) the 49ers have their own 2nd Round Pick (#61) in addition to having the Chiefs #33 Pick

or

B) the 49ers and Chiefs have merely flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. the Niners send the #61 Pick to the Chiefs as part of this deal).

On the surface though, I'd say it's a good deal for them --- unfortunately. That means, of course, that the Chiefs are going to probably release Matt Cassel. And that would be one more guy out there on the FA market that could potentially mess up the value of what the Seahawks could expect back in a Matt Flynn deal.

heyu123

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2tn3dmwc said:
Just throwing this out there because I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet.

John Clayton was on with Brock and Salk this morning and made it really clear that the details of this are pretty sketchy at this point. What's unknown at this point is whether or not:

A) the 49ers have their own 2nd Round Pick (#61) in addition to having the Chiefs #33 Pick

or

B) the 49ers and Chiefs have merely flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. the Niners send the #61 Pick to the Chiefs as part of this deal).

On the surface though, I'd say it's a good deal for them --- unfortunately. That means, of course, that the Chiefs are going to probably release Matt Cassel. And that would be one more guy out there on the FA market that could potentially mess up the value of what the Seahawks could expect back in a Matt Flynn deal.

There's no way the Niners gave their second as well.

They got the Chiefs second and a mid round pick next year. The only sketchy detail is what the condition of the 2014 pick likely will be. If that could reach a 3rd or second as well this trade is absolute thievery.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over. That is what killed the Chiefs last year. As far as setting himself up to get fired I don't know of a coached that's tied to a second rounder.

That said I think they overpaid a little. With that roster he could get them in the playoffs easy. Is that worth it?

drdiags

Reaction score
If you look at it like this:

2010 - Seattle got a 2nd 1st round pick they used for Earl Thomas due to Denver's stupidity
2011 - Cardinals give up to Philly DRC, picks and decent size contract to Kevin Kolb
2012 - Rams got several 1st round picks from Washington, who wanted RGIII really bad
2013 - 49ers get KC's 2nd for Alex Smith and numerous possible slants on what else comprised the trade

Aside from the Cardinals, the NFC West has gotten fat off other divisions thirst for quick fixes in recent years.

themunn

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":18dfaahd said:
RiggoReincarnated":18dfaahd said:
Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.

That was Kaepernick's 6th start. He went 19-36, 244, 1 TD, 1 INT. Russell Wilson's 7th start featured a 26 QBR and an amazing 122 yards on 9 of 23 passing, 0 TDs and an INT. People forget just how green Kaepernick is. Give him a full season as a starter like Russell Wilson and then we'll see.

but what about Wilson's 6th start?
surely you compare like for like?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
themunn":2nr5k58a said:
5_Golden_Rings":2nr5k58a said:
RiggoReincarnated":2nr5k58a said:
Why didn't they trade Kaepernick instead? Smith beat Seattle. Kaepernick was lost.

That was Kaepernick's 6th start. He went 19-36, 244, 1 TD, 1 INT. Russell Wilson's 7th start featured a 26 QBR and an amazing 122 yards on 9 of 23 passing, 0 TDs and an INT. People forget just how green Kaepernick is. Give him a full season as a starter like Russell Wilson and then we'll see.

but what about Wilson's 6th start?
surely you compare like for like?
Doesn't matter. Wilson obviously has more experience since he was the starter from the beginning of the season and got all of those 1st team reps. Everybody knows sitting on the bench for a season and a half learning the system doesn't do anything as far as development goes. :sarcasm off:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If the Seahawks can get the number 11 pick on the draft for Rick Mirer and a 4th, there is always room for that level of stupidity.

The Niners are getting money for garbage. Smith's best season was one where he mastered the art of the 12 play, 54 yard drive that ended with a FG on acteam that ran, ran and ran some more.

It would be quite entertaining if Smith just lights it up under Reid, where Kaepernasal regresses and throws a bunch of picks. Not likely, but it would be therapeutic.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Apparently the trade can't be made until March 12th. Wonder if there's any chance that Reid reads all the negative press, realizes he got fleeced and renegs on the deal?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":14bvfp2i said:
If the Seahawks can get the number 11 pick on the draft for Rick Mirer and a 4th, there is always room for that level of stupidity.

The Niners are getting money for garbage. Smith's best season was one where he mastered the art of the 12 play, 54 yard drive that ended with a FG on acteam that ran, ran and ran some more.

It would be quite entertaining if Smith just lights it up under Reid, where Kaepernasal regresses and throws a bunch of picks. Not likely, but it would be therapeutic.

Actually, his best season was the one he was having until he got concussed and was replaced by Kaepernick.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":25orut85 said:
RiggoReincarnated":25orut85 said:

And yet he still had the Seahawks in position to win in the 4th quarter.

Kaeperpick put his team in position to take a high hard one and in the 4th quarter padded his stats in garbage time.

You can keep Kaeperfreak, while he is better than Smith, he doesn't have Wilson's Mojo. Something you don't get from training camp or offseason workouts.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
volsunghawk":k7vsyxj4 said:
loafoftatupu":k7vsyxj4 said:

Actually, his best season was the one he was having until he got concussed and was replaced by Kaepernick.

It's really too bad we didn't get to see Smith finish that season off. Something tells me Harbs was just waiting for the chance to justify replacing him.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":4g4vfs96 said:
Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over. That is what killed the Chiefs last year. As far as setting himself up to get fired I don't know of a coached that's tied to a second rounder.

That said I think they overpaid a little. With that roster he could get them in the playoffs easy. Is that worth it?

I can see that, but Reid doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to run the ball all day while his QB peppers out passes here and there in the low risk game. It can work there though, they have the running game to start that way. As long as Pey-Pey is in Denver, they would have to make it as a wildcard.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think it is what the Chiefs need. KC ha several pro bowl players. Real just needs a not stupid qb and he will give him the right system. Look at Mcnabb, Kolb. Give him a stupid qb and you get the eagles for the past two years. Alex Smith is not stupid.

The second pick is supposedly conditional. Probably based on starts so without a decent backup that becomes pretty guaranteed.

My main issue is Carolina, SF, Washington & Seahawks are looking for the backup read-option qb now. Then on top of that any other team that wants a go at read option...

I say we sign someone in FA if we want to get rid off Flynn.

I also think Flynn with a conditional trade will happen. How Arizona is supposedly looking at Cassel now blows my mind...