NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It's all about the money. The NBA needs a team in Seattle. After they lost the Grizzlies they now have one area without teams that in the past had teams and supported them ( Sonics and Grizzlies) The Seahawks and Mariners also draws fans from the East states such as Idaho and Montana. A good Seattle team may well do so also.

Sacramento is a smaller media market by quite a bit. It is served by teams already. The nearest is the Warriors. I see the NBA doing what is best for the league and Media deals, and its not staying in Sacramento.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Too little too late. Sacramento may not want to admit it, but they are playing for 2nd place (ie an expansion team or another cities team)

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Every team in the NBA will be worth %30 more with the Sonics instead of the Kings. You think these guys (owners committee) ain't motivated to grease some skids?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well according to reports Mayor Johnson is set to reveal his entire plan tomorrow at some point and time giving names of his whales, an arena plan and financing.

The plot thickens, I personally see it as if Sacramento can get a deal that is close or equal too the Hansen/Ballmer groups deal then they are probably staying Sacramento.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2zs743u9 said:
Well according to reports Mayor Johnson is set to reveal his entire plan tomorrow at some point and time giving names of his whales, an arena plan and financing.

The plot thickens, I personally see it as if Sacramento can get a deal that is close or equal too the Hansen/Ballmer groups deal then they are probably staying Sacramento.
For my buddy Blitzer:

[youtube]lObgLdtXYpU[/youtube]

Pstark3

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3tgwrc0k said:

Then we pay even more!

we just gotta man :cry:

pinksheets

Reaction score
Last night the Sac city council voted to fund negotiations and exploratory type stuff regarding an arena deal with KJ's still unnamed whales (expect them to be named tomorrow). The Sac City Manager said they'd like to have a preliminary term sheet presented to the city council in April. Remember when McGinn, Constantine, and Hansen announced they had negotiated a deal before it even went through the council process? That's where Sac wants to be, and their deal is going to suck money from the general fund by using a very questionable funding mechanism through leasing their public parking to private companies for decades. Add to that there is now a second investment group with a too good to be true plan that is only going to serve as ammunition for the anti-pubic subsidy crowd and cause a ton of confusion for Sac.

In other words, see y'all at the Key this fall.

Throwdown

Reaction score
pinksheets":oedia2f6 said:
Last night the Sac city council voted to fund negotiations and exploratory type stuff regarding an arena deal with KJ's still unnamed whales (expect them to be named tomorrow). The Sac City Manager said they'd like to have a preliminary term sheet presented to the city council in April. Remember when McGinn, Constantine, and Hansen announced they had negotiated a deal before it even went through the council process? That's where Sac wants to be, and their deal is going to suck money from the general fund by using a very questionable funding mechanism through leasing their public parking to private companies for decades. Add to that there is now a second investment group with a too good to be true plan that is only going to serve as ammunition for the anti-pubic subsidy crowd and cause a ton of confusion for Sac.

Beers and Nachos on me!

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I'm slowly doing a 180, with the Robinson trade, how hard sacramento is fighting for a downright terrible team, and the negative perception that will cloud seattle if we "steal a team," I'm about ready to say f it and hope we get an expansion team in a few years. The Kings are TOXIC.

Edit: Mainly talking about the state of the kings roster/in the future. I understand ownership will change and gm/coach but they owe a lot of picks, don't have a ton of cap room and have a questionable team comp that probably needs to be gutted.

OP
OP
grizbob

grizbob

Reaction score
Throwdown":2u2qihgi said:
pinksheets":2u2qihgi said:

Beers and Nachos on me!

Where and when?:smile:

Throwdown

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3rstt2g4 said:
I'm slowly doing a 180, with the Robinson trade, how hard sacramento is fighting for a downright terrible team, and the negative perception that will cloud seattle if we "steal a team," I'm about ready to say f it and hope we get an expansion team in a few years. The Kings are TOXIC.

Edit: Mainly talking about the state of the kings roster/in the future. I understand ownership will change and gm/coach but they owe a lot of picks, don't have a ton of cap room and have a questionable team comp that probably needs to be gutted.

If the weren't a mess, they wouldnt be relocating.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
The sonics weren't (until ownership created one).
I thought the kings were in good position to rebuild, gut the vets(big contracts) let the young guns play and get a high draft pick. Now they're down a tp 5 pick, a second rounder next year and who knows if they'll keep tyreke (they could have moved him)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sup with this report of Hansens group not making 30 mill non-refundable payment? Maloofs already said that payment was made

Pstark3

Reaction score
Some Orlando sports show host said Hansen didn't pay the 30M, one if the Maloofs said that was untrue earlier today

Blitzer88

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3ee34j69 said:
Sup with this report of Hansens group not making 30 mill non-refundable payment? Maloofs already said that payment was made

Report was inaccurate. One of the Maloofs confirmed it earlier.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
that's the same report. 350 from his end, 400 mill in verbal commitments, whatever that means in the real world.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Pstark3":3dzo8yxi said:
"Minority owner has 750M to keep Kings in Sacremento"

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/2013/0 ... acramento/

If this is true....................
Already been discussed in this thread.

Remember this?

http://www.emeraldcitycenter.com/

These type of 'too good to be true' plans act more to muck up the focus of the serious stuff than anything else. You think KJ and his guys want talk of a supposedly public spending free plan going on right now? It's a huge distraction for their more realistic pitch and gives ammo to all of the NIMBY types.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Some of you need to stop worrying, we have the upper hand. An agreed deal, that the maloofs can't back out of, an arena plan that's far ahead any arena deal sacramento, or this dude can come up with in a months time, and we got good money writing the checks. Teams coming to Seattle, everything until the BOG meeting is just noise.

pinksheets

Reaction score
And I hereby decree that Blitzer shall stay away from all Sonics/Kings news for the next 7 days. It's for your own good, dude. KJ is going to announce the whales tomorrow, a hype train will get started, and there is going to be a lot of buzz that isn't necessarily in touch with reality. Let things settle before you get too worked up (which you know you won't so stay away! get in your panic room).

Status
Not open for further replies.