Do you think Wilson will pull a Brady?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Do you think Wilson will pull a Brady?
Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 pm
  • Not just with wins and Super Bowls and all that.. but in terms of contract.

I don't know of too many QB's out in the NFL right now that would take less than market value for the benefit of the team, but I can see Russell Wilson doing just that when he's eligible for a new deal in 2015.

Thoughts?

:sarcasm_on: (Which is why we should trade him now and keep Matt Flynn*) :sarcasm_off:

* - denotes my required quota of Matt Flynn love
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• We get it. You hate Tom Brady.

(And yes, I can see Russell Wilson putting the needs of the team above his own.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Well, I think he definately has the personality to do it. It probably depends on a few things:

If he gets a Superbowl win right away. If he sees how much of a struggle it is, and sees how he needs better personnel around him, then yeah, I can see him taking a bit of a discount to help the team out.

What the team offers him. If they come out with a fair offer and don't lowball him, I can see him getting a deal done quickly and not having his agent drag out the negotiations.

If he stays healthy. I think when a player comes down with a serious injury, it makes them realize how short a career can be. If Russell can stay healthy, maybe this doesn't hit home quite as hard with him.

On one hand, the team is loaded with talent already so we don't have a ton of holes to fill. Conversely, a lot of that talent will be up for contract extensions when he is.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Not on his next contract but maybe the one after. Nothing would surprise me with RW though.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• Wilson doesnt have a wife who's the primary bread winner in the family. I'd imagine that makes it a lot easier. And no, i dont expect Wilson to give any kind of discount, and don't believe that he should.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Will he? Maybe

Should he? No, I don't think so because whatever contract he is going to get, it's gonna be well deserving.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Wilson doesnt have a wife who's the primary bread winner in the family. I'd imagine that makes it a lot easier. And no, i dont expect Wilson to give any kind of discount, and don't believe that he should.

when ur making as much as 18 million a year like brady ur not exactly hurting for money, but i agree i dont really see Wilson giving any hometown discount. at least for his first contract. hes earned every penny hes gana get.
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

• Depends on a few things in my opinion.

1. If Joe Flacco secures the biggest contract in football, and it affects his team for the worse. Also if Brady's bargain contract results in the Pasties getting noticeably stronger. Also how Mannings and Brees' contracts affect the Wrongcos and Saints in the near future.

2. What kind of future OC's he gets saddled with. He's going to make Bevell look good and get an HC job, will we get a good one that will take advantage of RW, or one that will be a step backwards? I'm not a Bevell fan, but there are worse OC's by far.

3. Whether the Seahawks ever take the focus off running the ball and defensive dominance, and cut RW loose to challenge elite QB stats. Huge contracts have a little to do with whether you are statistically elite. If he's merely efficient, the case can be made that the team makes him better, superbowl rings or not.

4. Whether he gets injured and how it relates to his career.

5. How well JS has handled the cap come contract time.

Don't know either way, he still has two more years to learn before the first contract comes due, so depends on what he learns in the meantime.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• Brady didnt give the team a discount. He just converted base pay to signing bonus which created cap space. He got a 30 mil bonus that the team is allowed to spread over the life of the contract. The Steelers are trying to do the same thing with the rapist
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... st+Popular
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• if you deserve it, you got to get it while you can... brady's already had his big contracts , he won't be hurting for money any time soon.. wilson deserves the chance to earn that big money as well..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Brady has made some really good money over his career and took money to extend his career as he nears 40. Wilson is already WAY underpaid. I wouldn't even try to low ball him when we renegotiate after year 3. I wouldn't offer him highest paid qb money, but I'd pay him top tier quarterback money for sure with this next contract.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• if it were any other player in the world I'd say no, and I almost feel cheesy saying Yes, but I think that there is a strong chance he would.

The real question is does Russell Wilson want to win more than he wants to make disgusting amounts of cash?

I think he wants to win. He is a winner. He's made the right decisions his whole life. Maybe he wont give a huge discount but he will understand the team needs to put guys around him if he wants to win. He's intelligent and fully understands that aspect of the game. He wont make it difficult for them to resign him.

now the caveat here is - what if we win the next two superbowls (not trying to jinx us just using this as an example)? Will that give him the feeling that he's been there/done that and will now just be looking to set his family up for years to come? Maybe. Could you blame him? absolutely not.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Unless one of you has talked to him about his view on finances nobody has any idea what he would do.
    cboom
    NET Rookie

• As much as I love Wilson, lets play the patience game. One of the reasons for the new CBA rules not allowing renegotiation of rookie contracts is to better know a players skill set over a couple years.

This conversation is better left till the end of 2014. Then we can start discussing his worth and what he deserves to be paid.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan509 wrote:Brady didnt give the team a discount. He just converted base pay to signing bonus which created cap space. He got a 30 mil bonus that the team is allowed to spread over the life of the contract. The Steelers are trying to do the same thing with the rapist

:13:

It appears, as explained last night, to be nothing more than an effort to reduce Brady’s cap number in 2013 and 2014, the final two years of his existing deal. It’s hard to spread money over the years of a contract if the contract covers only two more seasons. Come 2015, the likely reality is that a new deal will be done — after the appearance that Brady has taken less is used to squeeze other players into doing the same thing, which the Pats did masterfully last decade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rady-deal/
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

• I think RW would play football for $100,000 (provided he could support his family). I've never thought so highly of any other professional athlete's character as I do Russell Wilson.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Well once he becomes a multiple super bowl winning champion I'll worry about it. Right now he's one season done and we're wondering if he'd take a pay cut to stay with us? Maybe he'll nosedive the next two years, maybe he'll win two super bowls? Right now, lets worry about something substantial
    HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• Hate him or not, Brady has 3 rings, has been to 5 Superbowls, and is one of the best QB's in the history of the game. He deserves to get paid big time.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I hope not. I want to Russell to feel extremely well-compensated, so it never ends up being an issue for him and the team.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• I don't see how he isn't in line for a big contract if he keeps progressing the way that he does.

And as a Seahawks fan, i would be more than happy to shell out a huge contract for him when the time comes.
    Can't think of a more deserving recipient if he keeps up the great work.
    Gifted1
    NET Bench Warmer

• Especially when you look at the production for the $ they are likely to get by the time they re-negotiate. It may be a huge contract, and deservingly so, but they are getting him for a few years at a very low number.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Wilson doesnt have a wife who's the primary bread winner in the family. I'd imagine that makes it a lot easier. And no, i dont expect Wilson to give any kind of discount, and don't believe that he should.

Exactly. Brady has been banking off the NFL for a long time, Wilson is coming off a rookie season. And like said above...he doesn't have a sugar momma!

I know you guys love the kid, but the kid needs to eat! ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• 27 mil ain't exactly starvation.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Even Tom Brady didn't accept half what he was worth on his first FA contract. So, no. In fact, I'm expecting Wilson to get a very Felix-Hernandez-esque record breaking extension in 2015.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Even Tom Brady didn't accept half what he was worth on his first FA contract. So, no. In fact, I'm expecting Wilson to get a very Felix-Hernandez-esque record breaking extension in 2015.

And I would expect that Paul Allen, Pete Carroll, and John Schneider will have no problem forking out the cash for him. I definatly dont expect any hold out or anything like that. I would expect complete professionalism and desire to get it done from both sides, when the time comes.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Do you think Wilson will pull a Brady?
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 pm
  • He deserves what the market dictates. I won't begrudge him for maximizing his earning potential while he's in his 20s, especially in a cut-throat league like the NFL. I think it would be really unfair to put any other expectation on this kid, especially considering he's playing for pennies right now (in relative terms). Seattle has the pockets and the time to prepare for this.

Also, I'm sure a person as goal-oriented as Wilson has plans to do big things in the world of philanthropy/charity. If he gets paid, it won't necessarily just be about the bigger house.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Wilson will get his big payday if he continues at this pace. He will have earned it.

I don't expect him to give the team a discount, but I think he'll get a deal done quickly so long as he's offered fair market value. He's already said he's all about winning moreso than the money, and he's given nobody a reason to doubt that. I fully expect him go for what he's worth, but I'd be suprised if he held out because of shallow, primadonna crap like not being the highest paid QB in the league. That said, I've seen people show a totally different personality when money is involved, but he just doesn't stike me as that type of person.

Bottom line? He suprised everyone during pre, reg, and post season. He will continue to suprise and surpass expectations, including when it's time for his big payday. This guy is a Hawk for life. :thirishdrinkers:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:27 mil ain't exactly starvation.

that would be 57 mil guarenteed.... his great grand kids will be living large on ole pappies money...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• It's prolly too late for him to marry the highest paid model in the world. So no 'pulling a Brady' in his future unless you mean he's going to shed tears on TV which I highly doubt.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• The whole point is 57 million PAID up until he is 40 years old. I think this is a solid contract for Brady and it is going to bite NE in the arse in a couple of years when 37-38 year old brady is hobbled by injury and they are paying 10-11 mil a year.. the old mortgage the future to gratify the present
    kjreid
    NET Starter

• No. Not at all. He will be ready to get paid after being perhaps the most underpaid player in the NFL during his rookie deal. I expect no discounts. He can, should, and will get paid a max deal.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• kjreid wrote:The whole point is 57 million PAID up until he is 40 years old. I think this is a solid contract for Brady and it is going to bite NE in the arse in a couple of years when 37-38 year old brady is hobbled by injury and they are paying 10-11 mil a year.. the old mortgage the future to gratify the present

I'm glad I'm not the only who's noticed this. I don't think the deal is as gracious as some people are letting on. It's not exactly like this is a 28 year old Brady making this deal.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 am

Bingo!!!

Not as altruistic to leave millions on the table when your wife makes multiple times more millions a year than you do. At the same time alot of athletes wouldn't give a darn and would demand top dollar anyway out of pure hubris so Brady does get some (tempered) credit.

As for RW if anybody has the character make-up to do so it's him.
    canucklhead
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
  • We got a playoff run with a $500k QB. If he keeps playing the way he does, his next contract should be for what he's worth as well as to make up for all the additional value we got from him.
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

• HawkFan72 wrote:You do realize that Brady got a $30 million signing bonus and that this new deal GUARANTEES him $57 million from the Patriots right?

I don't know many people who wouldn't "pull a Brady".

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/tom-brady-gets-30-million-to-sign/

Exactly, everyone is acting like he gave the team some discount. He got an unheard of amount of guaranteed money. He could go down in training camp never to return and that team is strapped with 57 mil they owe him.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

• Didn't he take less overall for the larger guarantee now?

Brady is no Saint.
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Rookie

• gspin2k1 wrote:We got a playoff run with a $500k QB. If he keeps playing the way he does, his next contract should be for what he's worth as well as to make up for all the additional value we got from him.

Nothing needs to be made up for. He's getting everything in his contract as well as some sweet endorsements. I'm glad a great many of you aren't managing the team's cap, as you don't seem to have the best interest of the team as a whole in mind. We don't win with RW alone.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson is going to start making his money now, selling Nikes, Subway, Levi's and Gatorade etc.
    Jayburd14
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Do you think Wilson will pull a Brady?

Maybe... But he'll do it sooner .... and "Bigger".
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• Jayburd14 wrote:Russell Wilson is going to start making his money now, selling Nikes, Subway, Levi's and Gatorade etc.

I predict that Wilson will endorse a new energy drink called "24/7".
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:13 am

Agreed. They're getting a discount right now. Wilson deserves every penny he can get. But I think he'll turn down more money from teams that have no shot at winning the Super Bowl. But if a Super Bowl contender offered him big bucks I think the Seahawks would have to match.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am
  • Brady wasn't giving discounts early in his career, this last contract is probably his last contract. He knows where his success is and system wise whats best for him. Discount is relative really if you look at how much he has brought down over his career and what he will get to finish it up with N.E.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 am
  • I've been resisting a comment that came to me about this question for days but just have to add.

Russell Wilson will not pull a Tom Brady. Why? Cause he's to short.

Ok, now I finally said it.

:roll:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I Einstein that Wilson will Brady a Manning after Tebowing his Woods and all in spite of any inner Flacco he has to Roethlisberger us with his Plummer.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information