Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Sounders Blog at the Seattle Times said that Tiffert is currently in Seattle recuperating from an injury and not training with the club in Arizona and the team might buy out his contract.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Tiffert won't be a Sounder anymore by the start of the season. I am fairly certain of that. His absence from Training Camp, the Joseph trade, and our repeated rumors to DP Caliber Strikers means that something has to give...I think we will pay tiffert the $700k we owe him and buy out his contract...that or try and trade him.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders reportedly have come to an agreement on a transfer fee with Levante for Striker Obafemi Martins. The deal is reportedly worth 4 million. He would most definitely be a DP. The Nigerian striker is 28 years old and has played for clubs like: Inter Milan (28 goals in 88 games), New Castle United (28 goals in 88 games), Wolfsburg (6 goals in 16 games), Rubin Kazan (3 goals in 20 games) and he has 7 goals in 19 games this season for Lavante.

The Sounders have sent a representative to Spain to undergo contract negotiations with the player.

I think he and EJ will pair REALLY REALLY well up top.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2uka8f63 said:
Sounders reportedly have come to an agreement on a transfer fee with Levante for Striker Obafemi Martins. The deal is reportedly worth 4 million. He would most definitely be a DP. The Nigerian striker is 28 years old and has played for clubs like: Inter Milan (28 goals in 88 games), New Castle United (28 goals in 88 games), Wolfsburg (6 goals in 16 games), Rubin Kazan (3 goals in 20 games) and he has 7 goals in 19 games this season for Lavante.

The Sounders have sent a representative to Spain to undergo contract negotiations with the player.

Has been a solid player in the past... however, oft transferred as well, which makes you wonder. If i recall, a litany of injuries in his past... but a solid European top league player with a goal scoring flair. A more consistent finisher than Montero. I wonder what he actually has left.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Awesome news with the DP rumor. As uneven as our DP history has been, I'm just looking for a good spurt of productivity from him. Anything beyond that is just gravy for Sounders fans. Hope he's dynamite this year, but it's going to take me awhile to nail down the name.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":sepi1n1j said:
Smurf":sepi1n1j said:

Has been a solid player in the past... however, oft transferred as well, which makes you wonder. If i recall, a litany of injuries in his past... but a solid European top league player with a goal scoring flair. A more consistent finisher than Montero. I wonder what he actually has left.

I'm excited for what he could potentially bring to the club. We'll see how he fairs.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
As someone from S@H posted--does this mean that La Liga is a feeder league for the MLS now?

:th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Obafemi Martins has reportedly agreed to terms with the Sounders...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
One request for Eddie Johnson.....please just first touch and shoot. Stop holding on to the ball and pussyfooting around so much. He blew two great opportunities tonight by trying to be cute and not taking quick shots.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawkfan68":kfrh6fuf said:
One request for Eddie Johnson.....please just first touch and shoot. Stop holding on to the ball and pussyfooting around so much. He blew two great opportunities tonight by trying to be cute and not taking quick shots.

He put one off the top of the frame with a quick shot. The Sounders offense was just snake-bitten tonight.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I was impressed by the new kid, DeAndre Yedlin. He shows a lot of promise for a 19-year old. Other than that, though, the middle of the back line continues to suck balls, Mauro Rosales is out of position at forward, and nobody was able to make an accurate pass into the box. Seattle will continue to struggle until those things are addressed.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
If we get the Martins deal complete and if he meshes with EJ, I'm pretty confident in this year. That's a lot of "If"s.

That said, MAN were they sloppy Saturday night!

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
center of the park was a disaster last night. EJ, Rose, and the CB's has just horrible games. We were instantly more effective when Caskey came in for Rose.

That said, I am not concerned about this team at all. Regardless of if we actually sign Martins or not. Our team is built right now to player a 4-2-3-1 and we saw a glimpse of it yesterday.

EJ up top with Mauro, Martinez and Zakuani behind him. Those three should be free to rotate as play forms (and they did last night, especially Mauro and Martinez). Martinez became the new Montero last night. He drifted into space, picked the ball up deep, and was our major creative presence. He was the second best player in rave green the other night.

EJ seemed super tentative to do anything, and had a hard time staying centralized. There is a big difference in targeting EJ with a cross and targeting Mauro.

Ozzie comes back next game, and Traore should be match fit in a game or two, and Joseph a little bit after that. I would expect us to be using this lineup after a few weeks.

----------------EJ---------------------
Zakuani---------Mauro----------Martinez

----------Alonso--------Joseph----------
Leo---------------------------------Yedlin
----------Hurtado--------Traore----------
-----------------Gspurning----------------

Yedlin is absolutely fantastic btw. Best player in rave green on saturday. I think he's got the talent to play in the EPL in a few years.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Missed Alonso big time in central midfield will be happy to see him return. We need another option to go beside Johnson as we were so one dimensional and playing Rosales further up didn't work. Our central defence sucks. Yedlin looks a cracking prospect.

McG

Reaction score
I am an avid football (soccer) fan. I am world ranked (around 50th in the world) in FIFA Be-A-Pro mode at ST and have been playing since FIFA 08. With that said the Sounders and the MLS in general still have a long and I mean long way to go to compete regionally, much less on the world stage. The cap has to be increased or allow more DP's on the roster. The fan base is becoming bigger and bigger in the US, I'd say from a mix of T.V. and the FIFA video game series. I didn't give a flying F about soccer until I started playing the video game, now it's easily my favorite sport aside from the Hawks playing. The Sounders have some pretty good players, what we need though are some mids that can posses the ball and make great passes, and a second ST is a must to pair up with E.J., because well quite frankly E.J. is a beast. From the match yesterday the RB Scott has to go, horrible positioning and doesn't have skills on D to be anything but a sub or reserve which means he's basically useless. Traore and JKH at CB are going to be very strong and Leo at LB if he can stay healthy is still very effective. If Joseph can show and be 70-80% of the player he was a couple of years ago in New England then he will be a pleasant surprise in the middle of the midfield with Alonso.

Does anyone know if Martins can be put on the roster or signed before the summer transfer window or do we have to wait until July to see him play? Either way I hope this year the Sounders can make some noise and win an MLS Cup, but that wont happen with a 2nd ST and some luck health wise.