SimCity & Aliens: Colonial Marines

LargentFan

Reaction score
Still loving this game. I really think people need to give the multiplayer a chance. It's really a lot of fun.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The performance pisses me off. It gets choppy as hell when looking around quickly on most maps, regardless of resolution/quality setting.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Interesting. Must be a bug; if I spin quickly on any of the maps that have larger open areas, it's literally choppy as hell for a half-second to a full second, or so. I can't even turn around quickly to attack. It gets me killed all the time; I'm limited to playing the small, tight indoor maps. : / I have a considerable amount of CPU and GPU power, and I'm playing the game off of an SSD. It's not a lack of power in any fashion, of that I'm sure.

nategreat

Reaction score
Anyone get SimCity yet? How is it? Downfalls I've heard are that the maps are very small, and the evil DRM. Don't know if this should be enough to sway me- I had been looking forward to it.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Despite the really annoying (and buggy as hell thus far) DRM, and the REALLY annoyingly small maps, it's still a blast. The graphics are awesome, though the game does run like crap. You have to change your way of thinking a bit in this one. You can't just build everything. It's expected, and required, that a mere 2-3 hours into your city, you start up another city nearby in the region you're in, because you will need to. Things you research get shared through the entire region; so to really make a high-population city, it's essential that you make different types of cities that focus on different things. Sharing resources is broken a lot right now, unfortunately; but the servers just went down for a server upgrade that is supposed to fix some of these things.

This is definitely "SimCity", though; and it's definitely fun. I thank the baby Jebus that I don't have to lay water pipes or power lines anymore, too; that's all handled automatically by simply being connected to roads.

nategreat

Reaction score
Well after reading about a lot of the DRM problems, and server queues just to play, I think I'll wait until SimCity drops to about $20 and then buy it then. I just downloaded the Tropico 4 bundle on Steam for $9.99, and I must say, this seems to be a very fun alternative. I've only played it a couple hours, but so far I think it's a great game. Don't know why I waited so long to play it, but for $9.99, it's a steal.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Nate - good choice. I'm already getting kind of pissed about playing SimCity. Broken department sharing across the region is a serious hindrance to expanding, the game's ridiculously small city area sizes require that you make cities that specialize in one particular thing, and that thing depends on specializations from other cities because there's nowhere near enough room to get the things you need on your own. So, once your city reaches around 100,000, you're forced to build another city just to supplement the needs of your first; and once you get to like 175,000 or more, you're forced to build a 3rd to subsidize the other two.

This isn't SimCity so much as it is SimSeriesOfTowns. :( Plus, the fact that they disabled cheetah speed is really annoying. Apparently there's so much background rendering that happens on their servers, they had to disable cheetah speed in-game to help their servers perform better. Pathetic.

This has been potentially the worst game launch in history. You still can't send money to other people, either; it just goes to Neverland; so you can't quickly build up a second city, every one you make is from scratch so you can't "power up" a second city. Also, your cities are unique to each server.

EA/Maxis have even managed to make me give money to a competitor. I backed the $25 version of this new game coming out later this year, Civitas: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/158 ... -of-your-d

Minimum is $15 to get the game. I suggest anybody who ever enjoyed playing SimCity 2000 (or any of the other SimCity games) buy it. What's the worst that can happen; it's $15, lol.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I love simcity so much I almost broke my "never buying from EA again" mantra. I'm glad I stuck to my guns this time :). ME3 was the last straw for me.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
Explaining my dislike for ME3 is hard to do in a short paragraph. I liked the story, I liked a lot of the game, there are just certain signatures that EA elemented into the game, like the promethean DLC, the cutting of the more elaborate side missions, and yes the end, the end sucked very very much, lol. Bioware made it bareable with their touch, but like all things EA it just ... ugh I just can't stand EA, I'll end it with that lol.