UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3186q3g4 said:
peachesenregalia":3186q3g4 said:
Glasgow Seahawk = Celtic Gatehawk

Dammit.

Coming from the football guru himself.

you blamed a 3-0 loss, at home, to an injury, poor substitution, and an 8 hour flight... surely you can see the hypocrisy in that...

Hell, Juve barely played their game and still saw Celtic off by three. If i was a Hoops fan I'd be asking more serious questions of my manager

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":11v6crsg said:
Glasgow Seahawk":11v6crsg said:
peachesenregalia":11v6crsg said:
Glasgow Seahawk = Celtic Gatehawk

Dammit.

Coming from the football guru himself.

you blamed a 3-0 loss, at home, to an injury, poor substitution, and an 8 hour flight... surely you can see the hypocrisy in that...

Hell, Juve barely played their game and still saw Celtic off by three. If i was a Hoops fan I'd be asking more serious questions of my manager

2 of the goals were gifts by a player who made mistakes. I blame both the player for saying he was okay to play and the manager for playing him. You won't find two easier goals in the tournament. Slightly tighter at the back at those two plays/Ambrose doesn't play and it's 1-0 to Juventus with all to play for. Juventus second goal was a great cut back. Credit to Juventus for pouncing on the opportunities given to them. Far more clinical than Barcelona were, which is ultimately one of Barcelona's flaws at times (trying to walk the goal into the net)

Lennon won't be under any pressure at the moment. He is a young coach who is still learning with a young team, average age of 23. I think if we got to this stage next season or the season after and the same mistakes were being made then yeah I would agree.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good thing Wenger rested those guys in the FA Cup loss.... they came out on fire today

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1r94b2tt said:
Tried to warn you, Gate. You'll never learn.

Bayern the class of Europe right now? Maybe them and Barca? They look tremendous

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Ignoring the broken record bastard that is Peach, Arsenal were outmatched simple as that. I am a bit happy that Arsenal did accomplish something very few have done, score on Bayern, which isn't remotely close to being much of an accomplishment and it happened by questionable means. Arsenal's defense did play fairly well today and only made 3 legitimate mistakes in the match, of course all 3 resulted in Bayern's goals. Overall, it was the fact that Bayern had more clinical finishing while Arsenal couldn't break down arguably the best defense in Europe currently, not to mention Arsenal couldn't take 3 steps without 5 black jerseys surrounding them, that decided this match.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2lgc17sb said:
Don't get all sphincty, Gate. In the premier league thread, you alluded to Arsenal having a good chance against Bayern. I told you Arsenal had no chance, and they didn't/don't. You need to accept the fact that Arsenal, like Liverpool, are now mediocre at best and will likely not have CL football next year.

Its becoming more apparent that the only thing that keeps Wenger at the Emirates is a top 4 finish, and even thats precarious.

I would say that Wilshere's time is becoming limited there as well, despite the new contract.

By the way peaches, have you seen the tackle that sent California native and Liverpool Academy player Marc Pelosi to the hospital? brutal. feel bad for the kid, as he was showing great promise. Even West Brom's academy kids are brutish

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2ufrspeu said:
Ignoring the broken record bastard that is Peach, Arsenal were outmatched simple as that. I am a bit happy that Arsenal did accomplish something very few have done, score on Bayern, which isn't remotely close to being much of an accomplishment and it happened by questionable means. Arsenal's defense did play fairly well today and only made 3 legitimate mistakes in the match, of course all 3 resulted in Bayern's goals. Overall, it was the fact that Bayern had more clinical finishing while Arsenal couldn't break down arguably the best defense in Europe currently, not to mention Arsenal couldn't take 3 steps without 5 black jerseys surrounding them, that decided this match.

this was a classic mismatch. It could have been 5-6 goals. Bayern truly showing their class. No offense to Arsenal, that Bayern team would roll through the PL with ease.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
So what the heck happened to the so called class of Europe Barcelona? Excellent effort by Milan, I can see them holding on to reach quarter finals. All they really need is one goal away.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":3pavgvco said:
So what the heck happened to the so called class of Europe Barcelona? Excellent effort by Milan, I can see them holding on to reach quarter finals. All they really need is one goal away.

Fair play to Milan. They did the same thing Chelsea did last year. Barca struggle when the other team defends their lines well. Barca were hard done by the first goal, but despite a massive possession advantage Milan desreved the second and were just as dangerous all night.

Still think they will have to score one more to get through. But who knows. They really confounded Barca

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Well, what Milan is going to do at Camp Nau is defend, defend and defend while looking for a quick counter attack. I have a feeling that they would find a way to win on aggregate. Regardless of the result it should be a great match to watch.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well peaches, ISWT.... what do you think about this afternoon? Do we have two in us?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":ueztv3p6 said:

This happened:
13050_497388210320099_1846190337_n.jpg

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":113baio8 said:
Unreal. I just want to not care. And when Zenit scored, I pretty much accepted the loss.

Now it's 3-1 and we just need one more to go through (assuming they don't score again.)

COME ON THE REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I wasn't able to watch because of the new job this loss has left me gutted on a lot of levels.

No more European play for Carragher, and likely Gerrard. When the team gets back into Europe our squad will look dramatically different than it does now, Hopefully Suarez and Sturridge are still with us.

Our season is essentially over now. Sure 6th place looks better than 8th but it doesn't mean anything besides a little less embarrassment.

F&*@!!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Stevie has to go? Come on peaches. He wasn't strong last night but he's been performing as one of the stronger CMs in the PL, especially over the last three months. His renewed run of form is very promising.

I'm just not devastated by last night. Great match, and a quality victory over a very good Zenit squad. I still think European football is a real possibility next year as 5Th isn't unattainable. Also, and I find this funny, we are second for the Fair Play spot behind Chelsea, who probably won't need it.

As for next year, yes Carra, Skrtel must go. I don't see a place for Shelvey, as I think Henderson and Allen should be the reserve CMs. We need two new cbacks (one that can start), a new CM that can run the field well and a new winger (which may send Downing packing.) A new leftback may be necessary as well.

I think we will see a nice run in league to end our season. I assume some bumps in the road along the way as well. Now worse than 6th

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
After watching the match from Thursday.......I just can't put it into words the effort and passion showed by our boys, especially Suarez.

Does Gerrard have on and off games? Yes. Do I believe he is stunting someone's growth by always being on the team sheet? Absolutely not. Allen, Henderson, or Shelvey over him on a consistent basis? You're having a laugh, sir.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":25pwu40h said:
I'm sorry guys, but this is the problem with Liverpool fans. No-one is bigger than the club, not even Stevie. Keeping him in there just because it's Gerrard is holding the club back. I'm not saying any one particular player's growth is being stunted, but the TEAM needs to move on. It's painful, and it shouldn't happen until the season is over, but it's time. We're not consistent enough, and it's because Gerrard isn't consistent enough. Sometimes you just have to move on as a club from players who are no longer helping you to win.

I honestly disagree with this almost 100%. I do agree we are inconsistent (so i disagree with your post alomsot 90%), but it is not on Gerrards shoulders. Its not him that is wasteful around the goal, and its certainly not him making laughable defensive and goalkeeping errors in games. Gerrard's decison making with the ball has not been the same as in years past. However, its better than last season and seems improving as he himself gets comfortable with a 433. But Gerrard is a far better option than Joe Allen, Jordan Henderson, Jonjho Shelvey... and its not real close right now. I'm sorry, I dont see him stunting their development. I like Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen, but they are 3-4 years from handling a midfield on their own. The Oldham game clearly reflected that. And I dont believe that any of those three fit the same role that Gerrard does.

Now, if we pass up on a top drawer CAM in transfer (such as Isco, Ericksen, etc.) because "we have Gerrard" than i'd be more apt to agree with you.

Im far from afraid to lose Stevie. I just disagree with your premise on losing him. He's not holding this team back. He may in a couple years, or may if stronger, younger players are brought in. But right now and looking at the next season Gerrard is one of our best three mids. Until someone in the squad shows more promise why would we ship him off?

More consistent defending and better finishing and this team is in the top 4 this season. that's it. That's been the issue. the midfield hasnt been able to fully adopt to their roles in the 433 (and Rodgers passing philosophy) but none of the squad has. I think Gerrard has been the only mid player who sees the different levels of passing available. I'd hate to restrict our possession and attack by not having the one player who can move beyond the triangle system of Rodgers when it breaks down (which it does far too often with our group because they arent accustomed to it)

Just my thoughts. If Gerrard does go (and i think 2014-2015 is more realistic) it has to be because he is standing in the way of someone impactful not simply serviceable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1kue2vsl said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. you're still not understanding what I'm saying. Stevie is holding the TEAM back. He's not a fit for Rodgers' system, and he's still looked to by the team to help them win games and he's just not capable anymore. Yes, we're wasteful in front of goal, but there's just no spark coming from the middle of the park anymore. We're being consistently out-played and out-muscled in midfield, and Gerrard is a big part of that. Stevie's position is one of the most important on the field, and he's not helping us win games anymore. It's time to move on from him.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Gerrard. I just disagree (or if you didn't say this) don't think there is anyone currently on the squad that could bring wjat he currently does to the squad. Like I said if we bring in 1-2 new cms that immediately can stand in than yes, you bid farewell to Gerrard. Until that happens sadly he's the best we have in the middle. I like the progress of Shelvey, Henderson and Allen, but they're all only 20-21. We need someone of experience to link that gro

Who would you like any names?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":zyz8tkgi said:
Well done, Real. Great performance. Fantastic decision by the ref, too.

Roy Keane has made the best comments on it in my opinion. Unfortunate, but Nani put himself at the discretion of the ref.

Well done by Dortmund