NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Yeah, Stern said the two offers weren't even comparable. He also said he expects the gap to be reduced, but that the sides will meet on April 3rd to see what's what. Sounds like this thing could be wrapped up earlier than we thought; however, Stern is still giving Sac every chance in the world here.

Question is, though, if Sac CAN match the offer from Hansen, why wouldn't they from the get go? Why offer so much less initially? It's kind of embarrassing for them.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think all were banking on the $75M owed to the city and minus the cost of relocation as evening the playing field or that would be my guess.

Throwdown

Reaction score
champagne still chilling on the ice...

The bid wasn't enough, Mastrov's and his team of 20 $1 million investors aren't strong enough to compete with our boys... I just wish it was official that the NBA will be back next season.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Honestly I know we're obviously all sports fans on this board and so a lot of people might disagree with me on this... but this kind of stuff is why California is in the financial mess it is. You have the mayor of a major city in Calif seemingly working day and night to keep a sports team in the city. I mean it's ok if the public want to work day and night, but we are talking about the major of a city here. He has a job, first and foremost to serve all parts of the city, not just sports related. We hear rumors of him trying to "lend" the Sacramento investors money without requiring them to even pay it back? WTF.. and people wonder why California is in the mess it is. From an economical standpoint does it even make sense for the team to stay there? I havent even seen any reports of KJ commenting on those points at all, something that should be a key discussion point.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The loan happened in 97, and it's believed that it's only going to be paid back when the team relocates, and the debt the Kings franchise owes to Sacramento would be forgiven if local ownership takes on the team.

But it would seem that Stern doesn't give one damn about it, and the bid was laughable in comparison to what Hansen, Ballmer, and the Nordstroms offered.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I think this will be my only hoorah for the NBA/Sonics coming back. I'm 25, who knows when the next time will be when we have this chance, next time (if this for some weird ass reason doesn't come to fruition) it might not mean as much to me the next time. I mean, I'll care but I probably won't be as emotionally invested in it as I am now.

I sincerely hope to god that this is the real thing, though.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
April 18 is when we can throw the party. I wish they'd meet before that, but Stern doesn't want to look like he's dissing Sacramento. Everything KJ says is steeped in political BS - he says local investors have made an "extremely aggressive offer" to the Hansons when it is tens of millions less. He says "we have an arena location" as though the sac arena is a done deal, when they're years away from a highly iffy arena deal. He sounds good, but there's nothing there. If this is all KJ can come up with, then we can start buying green and gold jersies (knock wood, which I actually just did).

pinksheets

Reaction score
There is the April 3rd meeting now, though. If Sac can't make a comparable bid by then, I'd imagine it'd be basically declared over.

I have a feeling they will put something together that at least lands in the realm of consideration, though.

chris98251

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3q7o28t4 said:
Honestly I know we're obviously all sports fans on this board and so a lot of people might disagree with me on this... but this kind of stuff is why California is in the financial mess it is. You have the mayor of a major city in Calif seemingly working day and night to keep a sports team in the city. I mean it's ok if the public want to work day and night, but we are talking about the major of a city here. He has a job, first and foremost to serve all parts of the city, not just sports related. We hear rumors of him trying to "lend" the Sacramento investors money without requiring them to even pay it back? WTF.. and people wonder why California is in the mess it is. From an economical standpoint does it even make sense for the team to stay there? I havent even seen any reports of KJ commenting on those points at all, something that should be a key discussion point.

Step back and think, if Greg Nickels had done as much as KJ has been doing what do you believe would be happening with the city council that was here at the time as well as the general publics general reaction?

I have one word...................UGLY

The Outfield

Reaction score
Maybe they low-balled at first in hopes that they'd get some kind of commitment from the NBA if they upped their offer.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Outfield":3mkxxxna said:
Maybe they low-balled at first in hopes that they'd get some kind of commitment from the NBA if they upped their offer.

If they did then they are really stupid, with the Maloofs getting more money, the league getting millions for relocation money that gets dispersed to teams, additionally the bigger market in Seattle brings more in advertising and marketing revenue and team sales as far as merchandise. All things that up the bottom line for owners in the league. This deal isn't just about now, it's about years of income indirectly. Throw in the political clout of Balmer, Nordstroms and Hansen and their combined net worth for keeping the team viable and competitive and it's another big bonus. Stern has wanted to get Balmer into the league for a long time from what I have heard.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Mitch tweeted that various sources have reported that the Sac bid was nearly $100 million less than Hansen's.

Oy vey.

Throwdown

Reaction score
pinksheets":1lcrm4bw said:
Mitch tweeted that various sources have reported that the Sac bid was nearly $100 million less than Hansen's.

Oy vey.

That's insulting to the nba lol

OP
OP
grizbob

grizbob

Reaction score
And in the mean time, I'm not getting any younger :180670: :bitenails: :pray:

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I think Seattle will come out with the Kings in the end. Its hard to imagine a large non-refundable deposit being made from Chris Hansens group if they were not confident a deal would be approved.

Looking forward to the Sonics returning to Seattle for next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts