Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Sounders Offseason Thread
Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 am
  • That 2nd half of last night's game was amazing. Yedlin has very impressive ball skills. He was the best on the Sounders side in the game. I don't know why Rose is even on the team. Caskey should have been in there.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:02 am
  • McG...

This wasn't my first soccer game. And as a collegiate rightback at the D1 level I would take umbrage if an official did call a foul there. (I'm not trying to sound like an a-- either, just saying in my playing experience I wouldnt expect a foul there). Was a good shoulder contact. Yedlin was late to the mark because he wasn't reading the run of play. He was catching up so was off balance when he was thrown off the ball. Solid play by the striker, poor from Yedlin, poor from the cBack as well. It wasnt the first or last Tigres abused the right side of the Sounders defense in attack.

Look a 30 yard volley isn't all that unfamiliar. It was struck hard but that's not remarkable. It took a deflection. Not alot to it. Good goal. Quality? I guess we can differ. He made good contact. He kept it down and it was going to be on frame by the looks of it. This is professional soccer though.

Ill let Smurf answer the Golazo claim. Although i seriously doubt he did it with as much thought as you give him credit for. Smurf loves the term. Always has.

I fully understand that the CONCACAF CL isnt the UEFA CL. I appreciate the clarification. However, for a Mexican league team to throw out a very reduced squad at this juncture of the tournament asks some questions of its importance. (and arrogance after a 1-0 win? I dont think so. SeatownJay's response makes more sense... but still). I highly doubt the fiscal advantages of winning the Mexican league far outweigh any tournament to the point you dont even bring a full 18 to the stadium. I guess I shouldnt argue, hadnt it been for the second yellow they more than likely would have advanced.

I'll leave it to Smurf to answer. He has been lobbying for this and the US Open to garner more respect. I thought Tigres would have been happier to stay home last night.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 am
  • Just keep watching Yedlin Si. He's special. He made some mistakes last night, but he also led the the charge on the comeback. Solid playing time in this league will only make him better. He was magnificent vs Montreal (the lone goal was most certainly not his fault), so much so I would say he was the man of the match. Yedlin has the talent to become a big player in American soccer, national team type of quality. Its going to be fun to watch this kid develop infront of us.

The volley was spectacular, not Traore spectacular, not Cisse spectacular (The one off the throw in last year)....but it was a fantastic strike and you surely can't argue the importance of the goal. It wasn't just a goal, which is why I used the term Golazo. That goal was special. It was a young player, who has errored earlier causing a goal scored against attempting to spark a fire in the squad. Circumstantially, the goal was exquisite, not just technically sound or fun to watch.

Traore's goal is one that leaves the world speechless....Its one of those hits where you wonder what in the world possessed him to try and hit it...but the result makes your jaw drop.

EJ's goal was some HORRIBLE keeping. He cheated the cutback so hard there was nearly a yard and a half between the keeper and the post.

Tigres brought a reduced side due to their fixture congestion. That is correct...stupid decision, that said it looked to be a brilliant call after 40 minutes.

The CCL is still struggling for relevancy, and at least in Seattle this game will help that out a bit (the number of non soccer fans who are talking about the game from last night is pretty obscured right now.)
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Just keep watching Yedlin Si. He's special. He made some mistakes last night, but he also led the the charge on the comeback. Solid playing time in this league will only make him better. He was magnificent vs Montreal (the lone goal was most certainly not his fault), so much so I would say he was the man of the match. Yedlin has the talent to become a big player in American soccer, national team type of quality. Its going to be fun to watch this kid develop infront of us.

The volley was spectacular, not Traore spectacular, not Cisse spectacular (The one off the throw in last year)....but it was a fantastic strike and you surely can't argue the importance of the goal. It wasn't just a goal, which is why I used the term Golazo. That goal was special. It was a young player, who has errored earlier causing a goal scored against attempting to spark a fire in the squad. Circumstantially, the goal was exquisite, not just technically sound or fun to watch.

Traore's goal is one that leaves the world speechless....Its one of those hits where you wonder what in the world possessed him to try and hit it...but the result makes your jaw drop.

EJ's goal was some HORRIBLE keeping. He cheated the cutback so hard there was nearly a yard and a half between the keeper and the post.

Tigres brought a reduced side due to their fixture congestion. That is correct...stupid decision, that said it looked to be a brilliant call after 40 minutes.

The CCL is still struggling for relevancy, and at least in Seattle this game will help that out a bit (the number of non soccer fans who are talking about the game from last night is pretty obscured right now.)

I love you Smurf... you know this.

Yedlin's goal was of massive importance. There is no doubt. I'll leave it at that. It was well struck and on frame from an audacious distance. (I dont think its going in without the deflection). But you cant argue the effort or technique. 8 out of 10 times that ball ends up 20 rows deep.

I like the sight of Yedlin running up the wing. Its great to see the Sounders utilize that type of player. However, he's going to need to be better protected by his centerback and midfield if he's going to vacate his space to attack. He got caught with his eyes up the field a handful of times last night. But there isnt any doubting his potential.

Maybe the Sounders progression will add some weight to the CL.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:McG...

This wasn't my first soccer game. And as a collegiate rightback at the D1 level I would take umbrage if an official did call a foul there. (I'm not trying to sound like an a-- either, just saying in my playing experience I wouldnt expect a foul there). Was a good shoulder contact. Yedlin was late to the mark because he wasn't reading the run of play. He was catching up so was off balance when he was thrown off the ball. Solid play by the striker, poor from Yedlin, poor from the cBack as well. It wasnt the first or last Tigres abused the right side of the Sounders defense in attack.

Look a 30 yard volley isn't all that unfamiliar. It was struck hard but that's not remarkable. It took a deflection. Not alot to it. Good goal. Quality? I guess we can differ. He made good contact. He kept it down and it was going to be on frame by the looks of it. This is professional soccer though.

Ill let Smurf answer the Golazo claim. Although i seriously doubt he did it with as much thought as you give him credit for. Smurf loves the term. Always has.

I fully understand that the CONCACAF CL isnt the UEFA CL. I appreciate the clarification. However, for a Mexican league team to throw out a very reduced squad at this juncture of the tournament asks some questions of its importance. (and arrogance after a 1-0 win? I dont think so. SeatownJay's response makes more sense... but still). I highly doubt the fiscal advantages of winning the Mexican league far outweigh any tournament to the point you dont even bring a full 18 to the stadium. I guess I shouldnt argue, hadnt it been for the second yellow they more than likely would have advanced.

I'll leave it to Smurf to answer. He has been lobbying for this and the US Open to garner more respect. I thought Tigres would have been happier to stay home last night.

Hey man I never assumed that this was the first match that you had seen and congrats on playing D-1. With that said, I fully disagree with the fact that you think that was not a foul on Yedlin. I understand that in most leagues that isn't a foul. There is a huge disparity between D-1 soccer and professional televised soccer, D-1 soccer is a lot like A or AA minor league baseball. The talent level is amazingly low and a lot of the play is physical so the refs let a lot of BS go on that you would never see in a lower level league like the MLS. Now I understand Yeldin was out of position, but the fact is that the Tigres player played the man not the ball. The outcome of him running through Yedlin to receive the ball should have been any easy free kick call at the spot. We can agree to disagree.

When it comes to the CL, it's a joke. Click the link and have a read, it's a little old but the fact that $36,000 is all the winners get (not sure if that's per player or for the club, but I think it may be for the club) is a joke compared to even the US Open being $100,000 for winning less games (US Open 5-8g's/CL 12-14). I'm sure the MX championship pays quite a bit more to say the least.

-Make sure you scroll down to the CONCACAF-

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/36-000-prize-money-for-winning-the-champions-league-compare-to-1-5-mil-for-afc-champions-league.1120819/

When it comes to the goals, yeah a 30 yard volley is very unfamiliar... in the MLS, lol. I think as a first professional goal it's not too bad. I'm just excited to see a young player that hasn't wasted 4+ years in college on the Sounders. He's a little too much like Dani Alves for me, but I think he has a future as a RM than a RB/LB.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Just keep watching Yedlin Si. He's special. He made some mistakes last night, but he also led the the charge on the comeback. Solid playing time in this league will only make him better. He was magnificent vs Montreal (the lone goal was most certainly not his fault), so much so I would say he was the man of the match. Yedlin has the talent to become a big player in American soccer, national team type of quality. Its going to be fun to watch this kid develop infront of us.

I love you Smurf... you know this.

Yedlin's goal was of massive importance. There is no doubt. I'll leave it at that. It was well struck and on frame from an audacious distance. (I dont think its going in without the deflection). But you cant argue the effort or technique. 8 out of 10 times that ball ends up 20 rows deep.

I like the sight of Yedlin running up the wing. Its great to see the Sounders utilize that type of player. However, he's going to need to be better protected by his centerback and midfield if he's going to vacate his space to attack. He got caught with his eyes up the field a handful of times last night. But there isnt any doubting his potential.

Maybe the Sounders progression will add some weight to the CL.

I'm pretty easy to love. :)
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Re: Sounders Season Thread
Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm
  • BTW everyone, the Martins deal is official and he is eligible to start playing immediately in all comps, including tomorrows Derby vs Portland.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:24 pm
  • NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm
  • This officiating crew should be tarred and feathered. No consistency from the head referee. He lets Portland run through the Sounders' players and then calls fouls on the Sounders for putting hands on the nancy timber players.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:05 pm
  • I would also like to add that I am very excited to see what Martin and Johnson can do when they build chemistry. Martins came in at the seventy-minute mark and instantly began influencing the match.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm
  • What exactly does Andy Rose do? What a hack on the pitch.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm
  • :34853_doh:
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm
  • I am so tired of the Sounders giving up injury time equalizers.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm
  • Yeah....that was less than stellar...

Andy Rose is...well Andy Rose. Not a huge fan of his, but he does well enough to be a stop gap center mid while we wait for Evans and Joseph to get fit. He plays the pivot well with Alonso...just has little touch on the ball.

Liked what I saw from Martins. Once he and EJ build up some chemistry, they will be hard to stop.

I actually wasn't a fan of any of the changes Sigi made tonight. They seemed pre-meditated and forced. Rosales on for Ochoa around 60...Not a fan of Mauro up top. Second one was Obafemi on for Martinez...really should have been Zakuani off at that point. Zak showed way more fatigue and Martinez could have easily switched flanks. Martins showed the quality he has in his short stint. The last change was just abysmal. Bringing off a fatigued Zakuani is ok, but putting in Caskey in his place wasn't the right call. If you're going to play bunker ball to protect the lead, then friggin play bunkerball. Bring in Leo on the left side, or bring in Carassco and play 3 across the center mid.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm
  • Can someone tell me why Hurtado continues to play? He's terrible and consistently makes mistakes.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 am
  • It's because he's the second best CB on the team, and usually you play 2 CBs....usually. Who would you rather they put out there? An unfit Ianni, Zach Scott or Hurtado....yeah, thought so.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:29 am
  • Fair result for Timbers really. The escaped the first 20 and really harrassed the Sounders backline all night.tepid for seattle
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 am
  • If Hurtado is the second best CB on the team then it's going to be a LOOOOONG season.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:If Hurtado is the second best CB on the team then it's going to be a LOOOOONG season.

We'll be alright.

Second game of the season. We'll be ok.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:42 pm
  • Sounders have parted ways with Swedish rightback Adam Johansson. Really not a big shock after the emergence of DeAndre Yedlin (who will lock up the majority of the minutes imo).

This frees up about 200k in cap space as well if what I'm reading is true.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 am
  • Sounders haven't had much luck with Swedish players - Ljungberg, Friedberg, and now Johansson. I can understand the move. Johansson didn't play much as a Sounder. He was either injured or away playing for his national team.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:51 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders haven't had much luck with Swedish players - Ljungberg, Friedberg, and now Johansson. I can understand the move. Johansson didn't play much as a Sounder. He was either injured or away playing for his national team.

Friberg left for family reasons, I don't count him as a failed Swede with the Sounders.

Johansson was an decent player, but he spend a lot of time away from the club with the national team (where he warmed the bench)...and with Yedlin performing like he is, the minutes he would have gotten here were cut drastically.

I'm curious what we are going to do with that cap space.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders haven't had much luck with Swedish players - Ljungberg, Friedberg, and now Johansson. I can understand the move. Johansson didn't play much as a Sounder. He was either injured or away playing for his national team.

Friberg left for family reasons, I don't count him as a failed Swede with the Sounders.

Johansson was an decent player, but he spend a lot of time away from the club with the national team (where he warmed the bench)...and with Yedlin performing like he is, the minutes he would have gotten here were cut drastically.

I'm curious what we are going to do with that cap space.

2 games in, he's performed at best below average defensively and youre saying that he's pushed another player off the club? Seems either you are overrating Johannsen as a "decent player" or (hopefully) the Sounders have something specifc in mind
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2 games in, he's performed at best below average defensively and youre saying that he's pushed another player off the club? Seems either you are overrating Johannsen as a "decent player" or (hopefully) the Sounders have something specifc in mind

I think what they have in mind is getting rid of a $200k salary for a player that costs $0 in cap space.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm
  • 3 games, and yes. The combination of Yedlins play, and Johansson's salary has made the Swede expendable. And I have no doubt they have a plan for that cap space.

Johansson was an average player who was barely an upgrade over James Riley. He wasn't worth what we were giving him, especially with a young, home grown, non salary cap eligible, player who needs the minutes to get to that next level.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Smurf wrote:3 games, and yes. The combination of Yedlins play, and Johansson's salary has made the Swede expendable. And I have no doubt they have a plan for that cap space.

Johansson was an average player who was barely an upgrade over James Riley. He wasn't worth what we were giving him, especially with a young, home grown, non salary cap eligible, player who needs the minutes to get to that next level.

Makes sense as a salary issue, thanks for you and Trench for explaining. I have two questions for all of you:

first- Yedlin is "homegrown"... wheres he from? Id be interested as I grew up playing in Seattle and still keep relatively close ties to Crossfire and Eastside. If anyone takes any interest in youth soccer the Washington DA clubs (the aforementioned plus Sounders) are doing a very good job of establishing themselves in the new system and developing quality players

2nd (more for all): what is the Sounders philosophy right now? still trying to get a grab of it and just cant
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:3 games, and yes. The combination of Yedlins play, and Johansson's salary has made the Swede expendable. And I have no doubt they have a plan for that cap space.

Makes sense as a salary issue, thanks for you and Trench for explaining. I have two questions for all of you:

first- Yedlin is "homegrown"... wheres he from? Id be interested as I grew up playing in Seattle and still keep relatively close ties to Crosswinds and Eastside. If anyone takes any interest in youth soccer the Washington DA clubs (the aforementioned plus Sounders) are doing a very good job of establishing themselves in the new system and developing quality players

2nd (more for all): what is the Sounders philosophy right now? still trying to get a grab of it and just cant

Yedlin went to O'Dea Highschool in Seattle and is from the local area. Since 2004 he has played Youth Football for Emerald City FC, Northwest Nationals, Crossfire Premier and the Sounders Academy before going to Akron for 2 seasons. He also signed a Homegrown Player contract with us (which made him Superdraft ineligible) and his salary does not count against our cap (cause crazy MLS salary cap rules are crazy).

As for philosophy, you talking on the field, or just overall as an organization?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm
  • Figured he was either Crossfire or Eastside. O'Dea is interesting. football community. Federal Way was always a strong producer of soccer players when i was around. I will be interested to see (maybe it already exists) if any relationship between the two DA local clubs (Crossfire and Eastside) and the Sounders Academy. Chicago Fire has done a great job in the Illinois area of taking the elite players from the surrounding clubs but making them good about it. (but thats the struggle, and a book for another time)

I think both, as both should be related. This early season to the Sounders just lacks something and I cant place it. In the two games ive seen (the CL match and now the Timbers) the team lacks a consistent "style". their mistakes and lack of flow have condemned them to a slow start, with both games at home. While many teams employ a system and style that their fans recognize, even reflect in their own behavior, this Sounders team (at the moment) looks as if its still looking at each other for advice.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 pm
  • I'll delve more into it tomorrow so, but the sounders philosophy is: MLS Cup at all costs, community, youth, goals.

The teams play this year is screaming out for a style, a signature if you will...the club doesn't have an identity as of yet.

The clubs identity is playing in colombia, fredy Montero. He was the center piece of the team. Everything was built around him, with his style in mind.

I've seen Mario Martinez step into that roll a little bit.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 am
  • Defense (from the midfield back) was a shambles last night. But really more the back line. The cbacks were awful in marking and horrific with the ball.... and that is with a near 60-40 possession advantage. Yedlin again at fault for the goal. Naive marking as Wondo ran past and he failed to drop and mark. He just has to realize that's the MLS' best scorer there.

Everything about the Sounders attack (aside from the cbacks having the ball) was solid except the final third. And this is why I asked the question on identity. Zak seemed genuinely irritated to be taken off but wasn't adding much down his side. The best attacks came down the right swinging in switches to Yedlin. Dangerous there. But even with some decent attempts they lacked finality and cohesiveness in the box. Maybe it is as simple as missing Montero but what I saw last night was much different in build up then the counter attacking style with Montero last year.

3 games in, 1 goal, 1 point. Only 3 against but they need a finisher. I know EJ was missing, and the Earthquakes away was always a tough test. But I think there are some signs for concern there
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am
  • Sounders had a decent game, fairly solid, they did enough for a draw, just didn't get it. We are at the bottom of the table right now, and its going to be tough to change that in RSL. Estrada and Ochoa were a handful upfront but they couldn't get the job done. I thought Zakuani was one of our better players vs San Jose (either him or Traore). He went at the RB all game, and is showing some big leadership on and off the field. IMO he will have the armband by the end of the season. We just missed the final ball.

Yedlin has been called up to the U-20 USMNT, and will miss time this season. Which concerns me a bit. Johansson was our back up there, and with him out of the picture, that leaves Zach Scott to take the spot in the 11...that, or Brad Evans. Which is extremely possible. Sigi loves Evans, and we have a really, really crowded midfield. It'd be nice to get Brad on the field and I think he could play right back pretty well.

Both Evans and Shalrie Joseph are reportedly fit now and available for selection vs Salt Lake. Martins is back as well. EJ and Mario are still with the national teams I believe.

I'm curious to see how this team evolves.

Oh, The Sounders also put a little bit of that Johansson money to use (around 60k of it) by signing Defender Ashani Fairclough (20, Jamaica/South Florida) and Striker/Midfielder Phillip Lund (23, Denmark).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Looking like shit already. Only eight minutes in and no direction.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:02 am
  • Its getting late early on this Sounders campaign
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am
  • Am I worried yet?

Yes.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 am
  • Can't score, can't stop the other team from scoring, can't consistently hold onto the ball in the midfield. And I'm getting real tired of constantly seeing shots of Sigi standing on the sideline with a befuddled look on his face. Seattle's lucky MLS doesn't have relegation.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 am
  • I would say in response to the idea that they should be lucky there is no relegation with that simple fact. They don't and in any league with a playoff system, one has plenty of time to turn it around.

I think many people are getting spoiled as the Sounders have had far more success during it's short time in the MLS than I ever expected. Sure, there are many aspects of their game that frustrates the heck out of me which I hope they can turn around. That said, it is only a handful of matches.

As for the semi final, it is yet another home first leg in which they don't take an advantage of before heading down south for the 2nd leg.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:07 pm
  • I think the Sounders have replaced the Mariners as the Seattle sports team with the worst offense.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:56 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:I think the Sounders have replaced the Mariners as the Seattle sports team with the worst offense.

They have a group of willing creators but nobody wants to brace the ball. It is considerably worsened by the fact that Johnson and Martins are nursing injuries.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:58 pm
  • Please, someone, anyone in rave green, put the ball in the back of the net.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:09 pm
  • It's times like these when it would have been nice to have Montero. At least, he knows how to put the ball back of the net. I felt at the time, they were a bit hasty in letting Montero on a loan. I know it had to do with DP and finances. They should have planned better before loaning him that they had a solution in place. Even with Montero, they have trouble scoring now it's much worse. It's more compounded by the fact that Martins and Johnson are hurt. However, Johnson hasn't had much effect in the games he's played thus far this year. I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:28 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.

There's no way Gomez leaves Mexico for MLS. The money and the quality of competition are too good down there for him to come back right now.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:58 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.

There's no way Gomez leaves Mexico for MLS. The money and the quality of competition are too good down there for him to come back right now.

Good point. I know it's a bit of pipe dream. I believe Sporting KC has rights to him should he come back to the MLS.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:23 pm
  • Finally!!!!!
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:20 pm
  • Yep, finally broke for the good. Thank Buddha.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm
  • There is a rumor out right now that the Sounders have entered preliminary talks with Santos Laguna and Sporting KC to bring Herculez Gomez to Seattle. That would be absolutely awesome.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm
  • Smurf wrote:There is a rumor out right now that the Sounders have entered preliminary talks with Santos Laguna and Sporting KC to bring Herculez Gomez to Seattle. That would be absolutely awesome.

Odd, where would he play? Seattle already has 2 talented forwards, do they intend to move on from EJ? Who is younger and ATM a lot cheaper than Herc would be.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 pm
  • Most likely EJ out would be my guess.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:03 pm
  • I would not mind moving on from EJ. As effective as he has been, when on the pitch, he presents himself as the player that worries about personal accolades more than the team's effectiveness.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:I would not mind moving on from EJ. As effective as he has been, when on the pitch, he presents himself as the player that worries about personal accolades more than the team's effectiveness.

I just dont see that in EJ. He's always going to be pushing his time at the Sounders to lead into an invite from the USMNT, but i dont see that as negatively impacting the team. Maybe im missing it.

With the struggles the Sounders have scoring (it seems historic at this point) shouldnt they look to keep as many goal scorers as possible? Martins and EJ up top, Gomez underneath. Keep Traore and Zak out wide, tuck Alonso in with Gomez to protect.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information