UEFA Champions League Knockout Stage

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27uurwhs said:
peachesenregalia":27uurwhs said:
Well done, Real. Great performance. Fantastic decision by the ref, too.

Roy Keane has made the best comments on it in my opinion. Unfortunate, but Nani put himself at the discretion of the ref.

Well done by Dortmund

It was a fairly similar decision to Adebayor's red card against Arsenal earlier in the season. It was probably harsh but, as you say, it's up to the discretion of the ref.

I was pleased to see Modric score a great goal. Hopefully he can kick on from here.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I just watched the red card again a few times without commentary. That was a dark dark orange card at the very least. Probably shouldn't be, but seeing as you can get a yellow card either for going in studs up and getting all ball or for even slightly mistiming a tackle on occasions then Nani can't have many complaints. Arbeloa was taking evasive action and ended up with a boot in his chest. Considering the impact it has on the game to send him off I think it should be a yellow, but an understandable red given today's climate.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":32k3iult said:
I just watched the red card again a few times without commentary. That was a dark dark orange card at the very least. Probably shouldn't be, but seeing as you can get a yellow card either for going in studs up and getting all ball or for even slightly mistiming a tackle on occasions then Nani can't have many complaints. Arbeloa was taking evasive action and ended up with a boot in his chest. Considering the impact it has on the game to send him off I think it should be a yellow, but an understandable red given today's climate.

Cant disagree... really, Nani put himself to the clatter, regardless of intent, and left it to the ref. Again, Roy Keane said it best.... "did Nani really think he had 20 yards of field?" Thought what was interesting was how long the ref waited before pulling red. I feel like he was conferring with the sideline officials. Either way, it wasnt rash not spur of the moment. He took a good minute or so while he waited.

Harsh decision... maybe a bit unfair. but hard to say it was wrong ultimately. But really harsh. I would be lost if it was Liverpool tbf.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":22e9j338 said:

Cant disagree... really, Nani put himself to the clatter, regardless of intent, and left it to the ref. Again, Roy Keane said it best.... "did Nani really think he had 20 yards of field?" Thought what was interesting was how long the ref waited before pulling red. I feel like he was conferring with the sideline officials. Either way, it wasnt rash not spur of the moment. He took a good minute or so while he waited.

Harsh decision... maybe a bit unfair. but hard to say it was wrong ultimately. But really harsh. I would be lost if it was Liverpool tbf.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3obnc23g said:
Well, hard lines, GateHawk. Arsenal fought well, but Like Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, came up just short.

Honestly, that scoreline was exactly what I predicted. Though I had done so when it wasn't known that Szczesny, Wilshere and Podolski were going to miss out.

My belief that Arsenal could have done it shot through the roof in those first 3 minutes when Giroud's sweaty goal was scored, not sure if it would have happened if Alaba hadn't slipped in the build up. I started to get nervous again as the game went on and when Koscielny scored, I really thought they could pull it off. But in the end it wasn't to be.

Fabianski's performance in goal was definitely worthy of a man of the match, at least in my opinion, and he may well have put Szczesny on notice that he wants that starting job back. It's also good to see Gibbs back.

I still am proud of the fight Arsenal showed, wish they had played like that more in the 1st leg as well, and I sure as hell hope they use this will launch them into a top 4 finish, as that's all they have left to play for again.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Looks like Inter's showing how toothless Spurs are without Bale. 2-0 and plenty of time to get a third.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1dyqn9d2 said:
peachesenregalia":1dyqn9d2 said:
Well, hard lines, GateHawk. Arsenal fought well, but Like Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, came up just short.

Honestly, that scoreline was exactly what I predicted. Though I had done so when it wasn't known that Szczesny, Wilshere and Podolski were going to miss out.

My belief that Arsenal could have done it shot through the roof in those first 3 minutes when Giroud's sweaty goal was scored, not sure if it would have happened if Alaba hadn't slipped in the build up. I started to get nervous again as the game went on and when Koscielny scored, I really thought they could pull it off. But in the end it wasn't to be.

Fabianski's performance in goal was definitely worthy of a man of the match, at least in my opinion, and he may well have put Szczesny on notice that he wants that starting job back. It's also good to see Gibbs back.

I still am proud of the fight Arsenal showed, wish they had played like that more in the 1st leg as well, and I sure as hell hope they use this will launch them into a top 4 finish, as that's all they have left to play for again.

it was a nice win for Arsenal. still in shock Bayern hadnt scored 3-4 goals. Fabianski was brilliant. Will be interesting to see what impact the game has on them for the run in. Honestly that scoreline could have been 2-2, or even 3/4-2 Bayern. It would have been fair, and I wonder what Arsenal would have come away thinking. (and Bayern for that matter... they were rightfully doubtful at the end. Arsenal looked far more likely to score a 3rd then they did a 1st the last 8 minutes)

Instead Fabianski (and some fantastic penalty box tackling from the back four) kept it at 0 and now gives Arsenal a boost. Heroic job.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":31n0h0xf said:
Looks like Inter's showing how toothless Spurs are without Bale. 2-0 and plenty of time to get a third.

extra time!

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Spurs beat Inter 3-0 with Gareth Bale, without him, they concede 3 goals and go to extra time. Shows how much they rely on them doesn't it? It's the fear factor that's different.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":16x24tsf said:
Spurs beat Inter 3-0 with Gareth Bale, without him, they concede 3 goals and go to extra time. Shows how much they rely on them doesn't it? It's the fear factor that's different.

well that, and he's one of the top 4 players in the world.

I dont mind the away goal rule, but dont think it should apply with extra time. Feel like Inter was hard done by that. Still, Spurs have to be breathing a deep, deep sigh of relief. I cant imagine they expected any of that.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25kh5dl0 said:
Gatehawk":25kh5dl0 said:

well that, and he's one of the top 4 players in the world.

I dont mind the away goal rule, but dont think it should apply with extra time. Feel like Inter was hard done by that. Still, Spurs have to be breathing a deep, deep sigh of relief. I cant imagine they expected any of that.

I agree Si, away goals should not apply in extra time.

As for Bale, clearly we missed him. There were a lot of factors that contributed to the poor showing. Parker and Gallas had bad games and AVB changed the formation to try to get an away goal which never came. Also, Inter looked like a different team. I seriously thought that they'd bombed the first leg because they wanted out of the competition.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":2oxbtpks said:
Does anyone give Juventus any chance in Italy to actually go through?

I cant see it. Bayern looked a far superior team and countered Juve's 3-5-2 very well. Juventus needs goals now (they were fortunate it wasnt 3 or 4 tbf) and will need to expose themselves. Bayern's skill should prevail.

I think Bayern score atleast one, which really heaps the pressure on Juve.

The PSG-Barca match in Spain should be a fantastic one. PSG were fortunate (twice) to score and make a fixture of it. I hated the pen call so the last goal made up for it. Ibra was far offside on the first goal.

Still, PSG can be sneaky. I dont see them doing it, but should make for good drama.

Dortmund take care of it at home. Real breeze through.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I have a feeling Juventus may surprise Bayern at home. I wouldn't say they would go through but they can make Bayern nervous. With that said, the key in my opinion would be an early goal for Juventus. If they manage to score within first 15 minutes then it could be a very interesting game. However, I must say Bayern looks very dangerous and now that they have won the bundesliga title their focus would be only on the champions league glory.

I agree about PSG-Barca game, it should be a fantastic match. I give PSG about 25% chance of advancing. If they can create chances on the counter, then they can be successful.

I would disagree on Dortmund v Malaga game. I give Malaga a good shot at actually winning. I know that Dortmund on their day can beat anyone but I just have a feeling about Malaga going through. Quiet frankly I want them to go through, perhaps my personal feelings clouded my judgement.

As far as Real goes, easy win.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I was impressed with Malaga. that was one of the better 0-0 games you will come across. I shouldnt have sounded so sure of the Dortmund tie. I feel like Dortmund's class will get them the win. But certainly Malaga is capable. Very good young talent on the team, and they dont seem the type of group that will come in and park the bus.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that was one of the better 0-0 games I've watched in recent years. The real question for Malaga is really, where are the goals going to come from if in fact Dortmund scores first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":118idnmd said:
Yes, I agree that was one of the better 0-0 games I've watched in recent years. The real question for Malaga is really, where are the goals going to come from if in fact Dortmund scores first.

Malaga with the goal... Dortmund with work to do

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":u25m8kcx said:
Yes indeed. Dortmund just seem a bit out of place, lots of bad passes.

Game on. Great goal. this will be a fun 2nd half