Yo Kearly, have you scouted Kyle Long?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I know we've talked about him peripherally but never focused on him.

Recently I've seen you giving Menelik Watson a lot of love as a possibility for the Seahawks., I think he and Kyle are very similar. Both are excellent athletes for o'linemen. Both have a lot of skill and high upside. Both are limited in experience since they both started their college careers focusing on other sports (Kyle baseball, Menelik basketball). Both went to junior college to become better football players then played one year at the highest levels.

I think I like Kyle at guard better then tackle, but he could play either.

Just curious if you see him as a likely option for Seattle in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round if Watson is already off the board? It would be fun to see him and brother Chris going at it twice a season.

kearly

Reaction score
I haven't, mainly since the consensus opinion has him as only a guard in the NFL. I would be stunned if we drafted a guy that wasn't a sure-fire tackle given our depth at guard.

Obviously, if he's even a fraction the athlete that his family members are, he'd be a great addition for some team. If we drafted him, it would be fun watching him face off against his brother twice a year (probably more fun for Rams fans).

kearly

Reaction score
33 3/8" arms. Fringe length. He's tall/light though, and very athletic. Definitely a Tom Cable type but arm length might be an issue.

Interestingly, Breno Giacomini has just 32 1/8" arms. Very surprising. McQuistan 33".

Okung and Omiyale have vines for arms, but McQuistan and Giacomini both have shorter arms than Kyle Long does.

So yes, I guess I could see it. Kyle Long destroys in the running game. Not the quickest slide step but you could say the same for Giacomini.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Everytime i've ever mentioned him I've said he should be a guard. A guard who could slide out to tackle if necessary.

We have a bunch of guards, but none of them are all that good, imo. The one i'm most high on is Carpenter, but can he stay healthy? I think Long could be an opening day starter as a rookie at guard.

kearly

Reaction score
Disagree a million percent on guard.

Sweezy will probably be a better interior lineman than Unger within a year or two. Despite being brand new to the position, he had a far superior rookie year compared to Unger, and his tools are better than Unger's are. I think once he's fully up to speed he's going to be pretty special. Sweezy is already maybe the best second level blocker I've ever seen in Seattle's interior.

I think Carpenter has a good chance to be our version of Mike Iupati at LG, at least in the running game. He has weight issues and has slow feet- but oddly he's a very good pull blocker despite that.

John Moffitt and Paul McQuistan are pretty much average. I remember a time not long ago when we would have killed for two average guards. I think people underappreciate Moffitt the football player. He's a technician that may not dominate but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes and is no stranger to making key blocks for big plays.

Rishaw Johnson showed a ton of promise as a run blocker. I was stunned when he didn't make the 53 man in September. He did eventually make his way back on the roster later on.

And the best part? All of them are dirt cheap and the best is yet to come from this group.

Completely serious, I think we have the best interior line situation, top to bottom, in the NFL. Unger is already a star, Sweezy will soon join him, and Carpenter has the tools to be one.

kearly

Reaction score
Having watched Kyle Long more- I think he's a guard. Slow slide step, leans forward, below average arm length. I think he'll be a good guard. I don't want him, unless it's in the 6th round or something crazy.

The only argument I can make for Long is that Carpenter is unproven and might be a bust. I'd rather have Long at LG than Carp given Carp's risk, but is that worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Not to me.

Then again, you wouldn't get a guard as good as Long in the 3rd round most years. If Seattle drafted him, I wouldn't bitch about it.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Thanks for taking a look.

Wouldnt pull the trigger on him in the 2nd. But wouldnt be upset in the 3rd, would love it 4th or later.

kearly

Reaction score
I almost wish we needed a guard. He is a great fit for Cable.