The Niners Have Fallen Behind In The Arms Race.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Obviously the Niners won't be drafting 13+ players in the draft. No doubt packages will be put together in order to move up to....well wherever they want and pick almost whomever they want.

And then we will start seeing the reports about how the Niners are NFC favorites again yada yada yada...which will also be pointless as nothing matters until September.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1ot0eiss said:
Obviously the Niners won't be drafting 13+ players in the draft. No doubt packages will be put together in order to move up to....well wherever they want and pick almost whomever they want.

And then we will start seeing the reports about how the Niners are NFC favorites again yada yada yada...which will also be pointless as nothing matters until September.
I look forward to Mel Kiper calling us morons and saying we had the worst draft in the league again because we didn't follow his book, while grabbing another all pro somewhere in rounds 3-5.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I agree Roland, in fact I hope Kiper praises the 9er draft. That is the type of endorsement that solidifies a draft smack full of bad decisions.

Gotta say I love the recast of the draft that was out recently showing Seattle having 3 picks in the first 15 picks overall where the Niners didn't even have a player who would have been recast into round one. Yet according to Kiper we had one of the worst drafts of any team. I'll take that kinda bad every time.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not sure they'll have to move up for Datone Jones, but if they did, I'd consider it a very smart move regardless. It's going to suck if they turn those early 30's picks into Datone Jones and DeAndre Hopkins.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
heyu123":3ff40yqd said:
I think you could make a legit argument the Seahawks at the end of last year were a better team than us. Just from the eye test and the result in Qwest, it's just that their game in ATL didn't bounce their way like ours did.

So with that said, this may not be so much the Niners pulling ahead as it is pulling even(or maybe slightly ahead depending on how they use the picks).

If the Niners can use some of these picks for maybe a Revis like has been speculated, even if he is just a rental, then maybe that might put them ahead in the arms race.

As it stands now it'll allow them to add tremendous depth which is what they lacked last year. But that's the only guarantee.

They were the best team in the NFL for three games at the end of the year, but as I said then, they peaked too early. At the end of the playoffs, when they cooled back to earth, there were three great NFC teams, and they were all equally matched.

But this just in: while Seattle and San Francisco did get better thus far (with Harvin, Boldin and the defensive signees by the Seahawks and the mountain of picks coming for the 49ers), the FALCONS ALSO DID. They just got Stephen Jackson, and everyone here knows what that means. That offense will now be utterly unstoppable. It wouldn't surprise me if both San Francisco and Seattle fall behind them. Of course, it's still a three team race, I think. But do not underestimate that team.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":24z7g5t5 said:
heyu123":24z7g5t5 said:
I think you could make a legit argument the Seahawks at the end of last year were a better team than us. Just from the eye test and the result in Qwest, it's just that their game in ATL didn't bounce their way like ours did.

So with that said, this may not be so much the Niners pulling ahead as it is pulling even(or maybe slightly ahead depending on how they use the picks).

If the Niners can use some of these picks for maybe a Revis like has been speculated, even if he is just a rental, then maybe that might put them ahead in the arms race.

As it stands now it'll allow them to add tremendous depth which is what they lacked last year. But that's the only guarantee.

They were the best team in the NFL for three games at the end of the year, but as I said then, they peaked too early. At the end of the playoffs, when they cooled back to earth, there were three great NFC teams, and they were all equally matched.

But this just in: while Seattle and San Francisco did get better thus far (with Harvin, Boldin and the defensive signees by the Seahawks and the mountain of picks coming for the 49ers), the FALCONS ALSO DID. They just got Stephen Jackson, and everyone here knows what that means. That offense will now be utterly unstoppable. It wouldn't surprise me if both San Francisco and Seattle fall behind them. Of course, it's still a three team race, I think. But do not underestimate that team.

Stephen Jackson does not scare the Seattle Seahawks. He has accomplished very little against them in his career. I do not believe that he ever broke 100 yards rushing.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
While I am very happy that Stephen Jackson is no longer in the division, it sucks that he went to a team that has a great passing attack. That team will be trouble from now on, and Jackson will look like a younger better version of himself with defenses having to respect Matt Ryan and Roddy White at the same time.

Glad the Niners play them in Candlestick next season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3lvce1p3 said:
heyu123":3lvce1p3 said:

Not agreed at all. Jackson has 2800 carries on those wheels, and is on the wrong side of 30. The Falcons D is not getting better.

I was not surprised that Atlanta put the number of points they did on both our teams. What surprised me was both our teams left at least ten points on the field. That Atlanta D is easy to gouge, primarily through the linebackers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3p8jf8k8 said:
heyu123":3p8jf8k8 said:

No the Hawks didn't peak too early, our ussypay d-coord decided he wanted to play a softzone-prevent defense on ATL's last drive with less than a minute left in the game! Thank Gawd he is no longer part of the coaching staff!

pinksheets

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2mhok6ps said:
Stephen Jackson puts the Falcons over the top like Anquan Boldin puts the 49ers over the top.
More like over the hill, amirite?

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
This almost makes me believe the Niners will trade for Revis now, just to keep pace.

mistaowen

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3tdynvwk said:
heyu123":3tdynvwk said:

Steven Jackson is one of my favorite NFL players of all time. It's too bad he has been stuck on such a terrible team for 80% of his career. Guy is the definition of a true professional. Same with Larry Fitzgerald. As much as I dislike their teams, I was never upset when they did well. He is gonna make that offense scary.

Largent80

Reaction score
Jackson is at the end of his productive cycle and he has NEVER had much luck against Seattle.

Atlanta is just getting older.

The 9ers had better purge some of that old stuff too with all those picks or they are definitely will be falling behind age wise anyway.

Age doesn't equal wins, however, faster , better, stronger does.

sturg78

Reaction score
mistaowen":256bovto said:
5_Golden_Rings":256bovto said:
heyu123":256bovto said:

Steven Jackson is one of my favorite NFL players of all time. It's too bad he has been stuck on such a terrible team for 80% of his career. Guy is the definition of a true professional. Same with Larry Fitzgerald. As much as I dislike their teams, I was never upset when they did well. He is gonna make that offense scary.
At least Fitz got a super bowl appearance

themunn

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2jeqzk4p said:
They just got Stephen Jackson, and everyone here knows what that means.

9 years without a winning record?
9 years without a 100 yard rushing game against the Seahawks?
10 straight head-to-head games without a loss?

Is that what you mean?