This year's free agents? Painless. Next year's? Oh boy...

zhawk

Reaction score
I don't care about all the conjecture... I want to be that kid again.... just lovin my team. and I love this team! :thirishdrinkers:

edogg23

Reaction score
The player I would hate to lose most is Brandon Browner. He is probably the most physical player on the team. I think we could draft a safety to replace Kam if needed.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Timmahawk":29duvhq8 said:
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini - his play this year will go a long way towards keeping him. Do they draft his replacement this year in the mid rounds?
Michael Robinson - should be able to sign or replace for cheaper than 2.5 mil. Net savings
Kam Chancellor - I love Kam, and want him on the team. If he returns to 2011 form, I would have to seriously consider spending on him. If not, he is replaceable and realistically we can't afford to spend 30+ mil a year on Kam, Earl, and Sherm.
Michael Bennett - wildcard, his role this season will determine next years contract. Hopefully he kicks ass so it's a good problem to have. He is already at 5 mil, so it might not cost too much more to keep him
Paul McQuistan - you can replace a guard for less than 3 mil, we have decent guard depth anyways. net savings.
Golden Tate - I like golden, but he is replaceable, and since you can still have Baldwin for an extra year, I'm not worried about possibly losing him.
Brandon Browner - RFA, at his age and playing style, we can lock down cheap for one add't year, and replace in 2015.
Doug Baldwin - RFA, where he is at on the depth chart, again, cheap to keep for 2014, also replaceable if he signs somewhere else in 2015.
Walter Thurmond - already has shown he is replaceable.
Anthony McCoy - not worried here, TE with similar skills can be drafted.
Dexter Davis - backup, replacement in draft this year or next year
Lemuel Jeanpierre - backup, replacement in draft this year or next year
Jeron Johnson - RFA
Michael Morgan - RFA
Charly Martin - RFA
Will Blackmon - 715,000 cost, he will be cheaper to replace

I'm really not worried at all about next year, besides, Clemons and Flynn are the obvious cap casualties and would free up enough cash for us to resign Kam and/or Golden if we wanted to (or save for Earl and Sherm in 2015).

Welcome! Nice post. I agree.

Remember we have this years AND next years draft to replace potential loses. It will suck to have the 32 second pick of the first round, but there could be worse things

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
McGruff":1clvfht9 said:
Harperville":1clvfht9 said:
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Dexter Davis
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Jeron Johnson
Michael Morgan
Charly Martin
Will Blackmon

Top half of that list are going to want to be paid. Can't keep them all. If I could keep three it would be Robinson, Chancellor and Browner. We are ridiculously loaded this year...time to get it done!

RFA's that are usually cheap and easy to re-sign on one year deals . . .

Baldwin
Browner
Johnson
Martin
Morgan

Bingo, Browner will get a first round tender for 2.9 million, he either resigns or we get a first round pick. Either Kam resigns for a reasonable price or he is gone.

mikeak

Reaction score
Not a free agent but add Sherman to the list. I get it FA list but with the structure if the new CBA I see about 0% chance of Sherman playing the fourt year of his contract. The error margin on that estimate is about 0% to 0%....

He will cashing in $10-$14 million / year starting next year.

Yes I think Rice and Miller is gone because year after that comes the discounted $15 million / year for RW

You simply cannot discuss FA signings and salary cap for the next two years without considering those. That is the only part I didn't like about the Percy trade - the third round pick next year was costly IMHO as we need to keep building through the draft. But JS knows so sure the plan has it covered

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd like to keep Tate, Browner, Chancellor, Robinson and Giocommini in that order.

Robinson plays FB. That's not an expensive position to keep, even for a Pro Bowler.

Browner is probably more valuable in our system than most others, although there's a ton of teams out there that run man/press coverage on the outside and bring the heat (most 3-4 teams). CBs in FA were cheap this year, and he's coming up on the wrong side of his prime, but teams could still over pay for him. I hope he takes a fair contract in thanks for us giving him a shot from the CFL, but this is his only chance at a good contract.

Chancellor would be great to keep, but he misses his coverage assignments a lot and isn't fast enough to recover from it. His replacement is already on the team (Winston Guy), so it's really up to his performance this year as to what he gets paid.

Tate will be retained, almost at all costs. It's just too good to have Tate, Harvin and Rice all out there at once.

Giacommini will also probably be cheap, but it's a good idea to keep the continuity on that side going, as RG is still a turnstile. We also don't currently have Breno's replacement on the roster yet. A talented value draft pick could change this though.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Harperville":2qsjjofm said:
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy

Dexter Davis
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Jeron Johnson
Michael Morgan
Charly Martin
Will Blackmon

Top half of that list are going to want to be paid. Can't keep them all. If I could keep three it would be Robinson, Chancellor and Browner. We are ridiculously loaded this year...time to get it done!

IMO the guys in RED- are the must have back

The guys in GREEN are one's I could go either way-- depending on how 2013 goes.

The rest are just guys, who can be replaced.