Avril's contract - much flexibility

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":2at9p8dg said:
HawkWow":2at9p8dg said:
My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

That sounds eerily similar to what was being said about Jones last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it happens. Enjoy the ride and see what it brings us
I agree, kid. And who's to say whether or not this was Bennett's idea? Maybe he didn't want to get locked in for the next 2-3 seasons on a deal he felt was too low.

It takes two sides to make a deal.

Plus, it gives us one more year to develop the young guys. Maybe one of them steps up, or maybe we get lucky in the draft. A lot of things can happen between now and Mar 2013.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":sm3bmftf said:
kidhawk":sm3bmftf said:
HawkWow":sm3bmftf said:
My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

That sounds eerily similar to what was being said about Jones last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it happens. Enjoy the ride and see what it brings us
I agree, kid. And who's to say whether or not this was Bennett's idea? Maybe he didn't want to get locked in for the next 2-3 seasons on a deal he felt was too low.

It takes two sides to make a deal.

Plus, it gives us one more year to develop the young guys. Maybe one of them steps up, or maybe we get lucky in the draft. A lot of things can happen between now and Mar 2013.

Well I'll just assume you meant march of 2014 :lol:

I have no problem with these one year deals, they can really work well for us as a team. Players on a one year deal have something to prove, so you know they will be giving it everything they have. You are going to get the best out of them guaranteed. It also gives the player a chance to earn a better, longer deal. If he plays THAT great, we still have the first rights to be able to talk to him and get an extension done, and if he doesn't work out, or we find a better alternative for the price, we let them walk. It's really a win/win