Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I would also like to add that I am very excited to see what Martin and Johnson can do when they build chemistry. Martins came in at the seventy-minute mark and instantly began influencing the match.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Yeah....that was less than stellar...

Andy Rose is...well Andy Rose. Not a huge fan of his, but he does well enough to be a stop gap center mid while we wait for Evans and Joseph to get fit. He plays the pivot well with Alonso...just has little touch on the ball.

Liked what I saw from Martins. Once he and EJ build up some chemistry, they will be hard to stop.

I actually wasn't a fan of any of the changes Sigi made tonight. They seemed pre-meditated and forced. Rosales on for Ochoa around 60...Not a fan of Mauro up top. Second one was Obafemi on for Martinez...really should have been Zakuani off at that point. Zak showed way more fatigue and Martinez could have easily switched flanks. Martins showed the quality he has in his short stint. The last change was just abysmal. Bringing off a fatigued Zakuani is ok, but putting in Caskey in his place wasn't the right call. If you're going to play bunker ball to protect the lead, then friggin play bunkerball. Bring in Leo on the left side, or bring in Carassco and play 3 across the center mid.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
It's because he's the second best CB on the team, and usually you play 2 CBs....usually. Who would you rather they put out there? An unfit Ianni, Zach Scott or Hurtado....yeah, thought so.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fair result for Timbers really. The escaped the first 20 and really harrassed the Sounders backline all night.tepid for seattle

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":8vabnxso said:
If Hurtado is the second best CB on the team then it's going to be a LOOOOONG season.

We'll be alright.

Second game of the season. We'll be ok.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders have parted ways with Swedish rightback Adam Johansson. Really not a big shock after the emergence of DeAndre Yedlin (who will lock up the majority of the minutes imo).

This frees up about 200k in cap space as well if what I'm reading is true.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders haven't had much luck with Swedish players - Ljungberg, Friedberg, and now Johansson. I can understand the move. Johansson didn't play much as a Sounder. He was either injured or away playing for his national team.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":rt5mny3i said:
Sounders haven't had much luck with Swedish players - Ljungberg, Friedberg, and now Johansson. I can understand the move. Johansson didn't play much as a Sounder. He was either injured or away playing for his national team.

Friberg left for family reasons, I don't count him as a failed Swede with the Sounders.

Johansson was an decent player, but he spend a lot of time away from the club with the national team (where he warmed the bench)...and with Yedlin performing like he is, the minutes he would have gotten here were cut drastically.

I'm curious what we are going to do with that cap space.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":g29qn23i said:
hawkfan68":g29qn23i said:

Friberg left for family reasons, I don't count him as a failed Swede with the Sounders.

Johansson was an decent player, but he spend a lot of time away from the club with the national team (where he warmed the bench)...and with Yedlin performing like he is, the minutes he would have gotten here were cut drastically.

I'm curious what we are going to do with that cap space.

2 games in, he's performed at best below average defensively and youre saying that he's pushed another player off the club? Seems either you are overrating Johannsen as a "decent player" or (hopefully) the Sounders have something specifc in mind

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mb87pbh said:
2 games in, he's performed at best below average defensively and youre saying that he's pushed another player off the club? Seems either you are overrating Johannsen as a "decent player" or (hopefully) the Sounders have something specifc in mind

I think what they have in mind is getting rid of a $200k salary for a player that costs $0 in cap space.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
3 games, and yes. The combination of Yedlins play, and Johansson's salary has made the Swede expendable. And I have no doubt they have a plan for that cap space.

Johansson was an average player who was barely an upgrade over James Riley. He wasn't worth what we were giving him, especially with a young, home grown, non salary cap eligible, player who needs the minutes to get to that next level.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2i518zz2 said:
3 games, and yes. The combination of Yedlins play, and Johansson's salary has made the Swede expendable. And I have no doubt they have a plan for that cap space.

Johansson was an average player who was barely an upgrade over James Riley. He wasn't worth what we were giving him, especially with a young, home grown, non salary cap eligible, player who needs the minutes to get to that next level.

Makes sense as a salary issue, thanks for you and Trench for explaining. I have two questions for all of you:

first- Yedlin is "homegrown"... wheres he from? Id be interested as I grew up playing in Seattle and still keep relatively close ties to Crossfire and Eastside. If anyone takes any interest in youth soccer the Washington DA clubs (the aforementioned plus Sounders) are doing a very good job of establishing themselves in the new system and developing quality players

2nd (more for all): what is the Sounders philosophy right now? still trying to get a grab of it and just cant

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22exjr8n said:
Smurf":22exjr8n said:

Makes sense as a salary issue, thanks for you and Trench for explaining. I have two questions for all of you:

first- Yedlin is "homegrown"... wheres he from? Id be interested as I grew up playing in Seattle and still keep relatively close ties to Crosswinds and Eastside. If anyone takes any interest in youth soccer the Washington DA clubs (the aforementioned plus Sounders) are doing a very good job of establishing themselves in the new system and developing quality players

2nd (more for all): what is the Sounders philosophy right now? still trying to get a grab of it and just cant

Yedlin went to O'Dea Highschool in Seattle and is from the local area. Since 2004 he has played Youth Football for Emerald City FC, Northwest Nationals, Crossfire Premier and the Sounders Academy before going to Akron for 2 seasons. He also signed a Homegrown Player contract with us (which made him Superdraft ineligible) and his salary does not count against our cap (cause crazy MLS salary cap rules are crazy).

As for philosophy, you talking on the field, or just overall as an organization?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Figured he was either Crossfire or Eastside. O'Dea is interesting. football community. Federal Way was always a strong producer of soccer players when i was around. I will be interested to see (maybe it already exists) if any relationship between the two DA local clubs (Crossfire and Eastside) and the Sounders Academy. Chicago Fire has done a great job in the Illinois area of taking the elite players from the surrounding clubs but making them good about it. (but thats the struggle, and a book for another time)

I think both, as both should be related. This early season to the Sounders just lacks something and I cant place it. In the two games ive seen (the CL match and now the Timbers) the team lacks a consistent "style". their mistakes and lack of flow have condemned them to a slow start, with both games at home. While many teams employ a system and style that their fans recognize, even reflect in their own behavior, this Sounders team (at the moment) looks as if its still looking at each other for advice.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
I'll delve more into it tomorrow so, but the sounders philosophy is: MLS Cup at all costs, community, youth, goals.

The teams play this year is screaming out for a style, a signature if you will...the club doesn't have an identity as of yet.

The clubs identity is playing in colombia, fredy Montero. He was the center piece of the team. Everything was built around him, with his style in mind.

I've seen Mario Martinez step into that roll a little bit.