Would you draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":3srgv2hk said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3srgv2hk said:
Why?

I feel like we've had this conversation about 1000 times.

He's a complete nightmare who will need constant babysitting and will always be battling against returning to drugs. He even admitted himself he can't be drafted by New Orleans because they'd have to 'protect' him. He also admitted he spent most of his time going into the combine focusing on staying clean, not preparing for the work out and drills. Bringing him to a place where weed is now legal is probably not doing him or the team any favours.

Then there's the whole departure from LSU. You're not talking about someone who made a mistake and that's that. He was warned multiple times by LSU to kick the drugs. He didn't. He was kicked off the team. How many high profile former Heisman finalists get kicked off their teams? LSU clearly took this very seriously. He then made a big PR push saying he'd stay in school, work hard, go to rehab. Try and play football the following year for the Tigers. He promised he'd learnt his lesson. Then what? Few weeks later, arrested for drug possession. End of college career.

Quite aside from that he isn't anywhere near as good as his reputation will have you think. He made plays in college. He also got pushed around and beat fairly often too. Slot corner is one of the most complex positions in the NFL -- it's why PC put Trufant there all year instead of one of the rookies. If you think Mathieu is going to come in and step straight in I think you'll be sadly mistaken. It may never be a role that suits him either. He won't just have to defend Amendola and Welker types, he'd have to cover the Gronk's and Gonzalez types too, where he'll be destroyed. For me his best position will be centre field safety. And we have the best in the business there already.

So let somebody else deal with this headache. I think he'll be a 7th rounder or an UDFA. The team that gives him a shot will need it to be a situation where they can cut the guy at any point. Even if that's in May. So nobody is going to spend a high draft pick on him like a third rounder. Taking him in that range would be an unnecessary risk.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The kid's a card-carrying, certified knucklehead. Pass.

His lifestyle decisions will disappoint. It's just a matter of when.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why draft a guy that won't get drafted?

Addiction is addiction.

Plus after watching his film, he is a pussy. PASS with a capital P.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
No Honey-badgers for me. Way too many concerns plus I get the feeling he's a cheer or jeer type with nearly equal amounts of both. I agree that the slot CB need is real and I could see them addressing that need in their first couple of picks. Trufant NEEDS to be replaced sooner rather than later-IMO.

I seem to recall from last year that the Seahawks had shown interest in CB-Logan Ryan from Rutgers. He is probably a round 2-3 prospect, and I'd think at 5'-11"/191 he wouldn't really be limited to slot only. In round 3-(maybe 4), CB-Leon McFadden & CB-Brandon McGee both look good to me as viable options deserving consideration at slot corner.

It looks like SS-Shamarko Thomas 5'-9"/213 could be availble possibly in rounds 2-3. IMO, he'd be a great backup to ET and should fit the hybrid/slot corner position pretty damn well also. From what I've seen on film of Shamarko Thomas, he's very much a bigtime BALLER and should fit in nicely with the defense. So he'd be MY preference in this draft if they go DB in the first couple of rounds and I'd really hate it if he went to the whiners or rams. If you haven't watched any tape on him, you need to be wearing a helmet when you watch the bowling ball in action.

Additionally, I've seen some mentions of FS-Jakar Hamilton 5'-11"/196 from So. Carolina St. as a later round option that might be able to man the slot corner and/or a hybrid position.

I'd also be very much in favor with the later round (6-7) selection of SS-Cooper Taylor, 6'-4"/229, who has been compared to Cam Chanceller by some. These tall DB's that can play aren't found too often, so why not invest a little in the future & bring in guys that can be potential understudies and eventual replacements like this? Can't wait for the actual draft when we will all get answers about this stuff.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
bubbrubb":3sseq35r said:
dude is a gamechanger...

all yall that are hatin on him will be eating crow a year from now if we draft him

Great counter... even got the word 'hatin' in there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seahawksfan425":2ydrvo4j said:
To the naysayers I respect your opinion but can you give more information than just a "No, he's a bad character".

More is needed?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawksfan425":2ryd9p0o said:
To the naysayers I respect your opinion but can you give more information than just a "No, he's a bad character".

Ok:

He's an awful character. He's also potentially retarded. That's the only thing that would explain how stupid he sounds even today. There is barely a hint of contrition, which in my estimation follows exactly what I would expect from a guy who repeatedly got into the dope even after he was 'supposedly done' with it.

I don't know you, or if you've ever had to deal with an addict in your own life. It is an absolute nightmare. It is an incredibly draining and distracting existence. The whole vibe of your household changes. People walk on egg shells. They are constantly wondering/worried about relapse. But ultimately it's about cannibalizing the trust in your home and in your life.

This team has 50 some players in it. Countless other staff who work insane hours at their craft. Their hopes and dreams are held in trust with one another. Everything they've ever hoped to achieve since they were kids playing on the streets. Their team mates are the ones that they entrust those dreams to. When you fail personally in that way, you defecate on that trust.

There is no way I take him even if he's Aaron Rodgers. I don't take him at the NFL minimum as a UDFA. There is no scenario where I want him within 100 miles of the VMAC except in a niners uniform.

seahawks875

Reaction score
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":2svbbnm0 said:
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

Again, another brilliant piece of cutting analysis. Brimming with detail.

What a thoroughly convincing argument.

:sarcasm_off:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect Matthieu has been crossed off the list long since.

He's a talented but troubled player for sure but has none of the exceptional characteristics Pn'J seem to want in a measureables sense (small and slow), unfortunately his negatives far outweigh his abilities as a baller (his possible exceptional characteristic) and the Hawks don't need an egocentric nickel CB with a drug problem.

There are way too many alternative choices that don't have the baggage that Matthieu brings with him. The team doesn't need the potential disruption and circus he carries with him.

Nope, not a chance.

seahawks875

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":zycwv4ao said:
seahawks875":zycwv4ao said:

Mathieu is a fiery competetor that will be coming in with a chip on his shoulder and be very motivated. This guy makes big hits and is a very good tackler, he is the best player at stripping the football that i have ever seen or you'll ever see. He can play on 3rd downs as a nickel back or as the 3rd safety where we can let him rome around the field and make plays. He is also a threat to take it to the house on returns every play. He is the type of player that will make a huge impact on little plays because of his instincts and play making ability. Every time he touches the field, he will put fear in his opponents because of his threat to make a big play on any given play. This guy is a game changer and is a player that would improve our team by his play making ability.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WKCBCUS73Z8

seahawks875

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2rix6fa6 said:
seahawks875":2rix6fa6 said:

And what makes your opinion the one and only and everyone else's wrong

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":1jco14g3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1jco14g3 said:
seahawks875":1jco14g3 said:

And what makes your opinion the one and only and everyone else's wrong

Well, to be fair, you are the one saying despite him being a moron, untrustworthy and a pothead, that we should imperil the best secondary in the NFL by taking him with the first pick we have in the draft.

Seems the onus is on you to provide they why.

You just saying he's a playmaker doesn't make him one. This isn't a case where if you say it enough then it must be true. Convince us. Because the negatives are already proven.

He has to be off the charts. Not just opinion. Give us plentiful examples of this. Not just a highlight reel. Even Kelly Jennings made *some* plays.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
seahawks875":66fmgzxk said:

It's more than being a pothead, if there are concerns about him coming to practice and showing up to meetings than it's not a guy you want. Simple as that.

kigenzun

Reaction score
....He made plays in college. He also got pushed around and beat fairly often too. Slot corner is one of the most complex positions in the NFL -- it's why PC put Trufant there all year instead of one of the rookies. If you think Mathieu is going to come in and step straight in I think you'll be sadly mistaken. It may never be a role that suits him either. He won't just have to defend Amendola and Welker types, he'd have to cover the Gronk's and Gonzalez types too, where he'll be destroyed. For me his best position will be centre field safety. And we have the best in the business there already.

Nice work English Seahawk. You are perhaps the most well spoken voicing the opposite positions as my own, and your concerns are definitely valid. I hear you, and sometimes feel the same way too... 'Gosh this is a risk, why risk it? What am I thinking? Pick Swope and be happy. Geez.'

BUT... this also got me to thinkin' about something I failed to mention previously... we need a better backup Free Safety than Maragos for depth behind Earl Thomas anyways, so why not kill two birds with one stone? Oh wait... and a better punt returner than Tate. So, why not 3 REAL NEEDS with one quality multitask football player? Mathieu fits us perfectly!

For me the draft is simple. Get as many quality footballers on your team as you can. Coach 'em up, and turn 'em loose. Hopefully win forever...

That said, once again, IMO its about the 3rd down matchups & turnovers in Big Games, and personally I see Mathieu being capable in the slot 1on1 and/or blitzing the QB in key spots. But it's also straightup about who can catch LaMichael James or Jacquizz Rogers in the open field on a 3rd & 4 dumpoff, and make a tackle short of the sticks. If y'all don't like Mathieu in the slot vs. Amendola/Welker, put Earl on Amendola or Welker and have Mathieu roam the FS as you suggest... because I'm totally cool with that. As far as being destroyed by 6'7" Gonzalez and/or Gronk types... I mean who isn't?? My suggestion with our personnel? Put Brandon Browner on those guys 1on1 because of his size, speed, and length... & if that be the case, let Mathieu roam FS, and put Earl as the RCB like they did in the ProBowl. Or put Mathieu out at RCB and have Earl help him out over the top at FS. Indeed, one of the major reasons I forgot to mention before why I like Mathieu so much is, because he provides much needed flexibility/interchangability within our secondary (and depth in case of injury to Thomas).

BTW
Lastly, lest I forget, I got nothing but LOVE & RESPECT for Marcus Trufant. Truly, a class act, and a franchise cornerstone for a decade. I own and proudly wear his jerseys on Gamedays to prove it. BUT OMG! he's old and slow now... and cant blitz or create turnovers like he used to. Mathieu is a downright tenacious dog on defense, and a baller with something to prove. Reminds me of Marshawn after Buffalo, or Sherman after 5th rd. We need some new Beastmode in the #23, and for my money its Tyrann Mathieu.

[youtube]8KBPaoS6odk[/youtube]