Would you draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hunny Badger will disappear into football lore as quickly and effectively as Maurice Clarrett.

He will not be a Seahawk. I guarantee it.

1. Seattle passed on Jimmy Smith, who had multiple drug issues and attitude problems, and he was clearly the most talented player on the board. This dude doesn't have even close to that kind of talent.

2. Our corners are long. He isn't. It's that simple. Seattle was just at a pro day for a 6'3" receiver suggesting he play defense.

3. Measurables. He lacks speed and strength. With the time he had to get ready for the combine it was clear he had not spent time in the weight room. This alone would be enough to cross him off Seattle's list. I don't care what his reasons for not being in the weight room are unless they are injury related, and they aren't.

Last, let's address this notion that he is a natural playmaker. his kick return stuff is nice, and he appears to have natural skills there. But his ball hawking on a defense where he got to play with NFL talent at nearly every position on the defense does not equate to being a natural playmaker, especially when you consider his lack of wheels. He needed to be a 4.4 guy to be even considered on the first two days, and he simply isn't. College production is nice, but if you lack wheels you will not make plays, you will miss them. Teo lacks wheels, and it is causing him to be called a two down backer even though he had 7 interceptions.

I don't call late round picks off the board very often, but this one is easy. Mathieu is off Seattle's board, and I am willing to bet cash that if he is available in the 7th or as a UDFA, Seattle passes. Not even for drug reasons either.

BASF

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3j4t5prl said:
Hunny Badger will disappear into football lore as quickly and effectively as Maurice Clarrett.

1. Seattle passed on Jimmy Smith, who had multiple drug issues and attitude problems, and he was clearly the most talented player on the board. This dude doesn't have even close to that kind of talent.

2. Our corners are long. He isn't. It's that simple. Seattle was just at a pro day for a 6'3" receiver suggesting he play defense.

3. Measurables. He lacks speed and strength. With the time he had to get ready for the combine it was clear he had not spent time in the weight room. This alone would be enough to cross him off Seattle's list. I don't care what his reasons for not being in the weight room are unless they are injury related, and they aren't.

Last, let's address this notion that he is a natural playmaker. his kick return stuff is nice, and he appears to have natural skills there. But his ball hawking on a defense where he got to play with NFL talent at nearly every position on the defense does not equate to being a natural playmaker, especially when you consider his lack of wheels. He needed to be a 4.4 guy to be even considered on the first two days, and he simply isn't. College production is nice, but if you lack wheels you will not make plays, you will miss them. Teo lacks wheels, and it is causing him to be called a two down backer even though he had 7 interceptions.

I don't call late round picks off the board very often, but this one is easy. Mathieu is off Seattle's board, and I am willing to bet cash that if he is available in the 7th or as a UDFA, Seattle passes. Not even for drug reasons either.

Bravo Scotte. I was going to post almost exactly this, of course with far less words.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
BASF":pxckjs6a said:
Scottemojo":pxckjs6a said:

Bravo Scotte. I was going to post almost exactly this, of course with far less words.

Wow. I was going to post Exactly this. Word for word. But decided to swim the Englich Channel instead.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Nice write up Scotte. I agree, he will not be a Hawk and I don't see him being drafted.

Just a comment on the Jimmy Smith thing. Schneider did comment on him saying that riskinf brining a player like that into a young locker room. Maybe with a more established locker room like the Ravens you can gamble a bit more. Whether that's just a speach or the truth?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":pgt4h4mx said:

100% spot on, great post.

BASF

Reaction score
bestfightstory":en0tznz8 said:
BASF":en0tznz8 said:
Scottemojo":en0tznz8 said:

Wow. I was going to post Exactly this. Word for word. But decided to swim the Englich Channel instead.

You know it's funny, you have been floating on my to add to the foe list for a while with your tired schtick, and now with this you have tipped the scales. I will use this opportunity to point out that if we had a thanks system in use on this board such posts as mine wouldn't waste the bandwidth that is precious, as you constantly do with your juvenile and for the most part useless humor. I say good day to you sir, "Good day!"

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Scottemojo":c8c5zrr3 said:

Would you expect our slot corner to be long? If so then I buy your argument.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":3c072hqy said:
And what makes your opinion the one and only and everyone else's wrong

Nothing.

But I (and others) have offered some detail to back up our stance. The counters we've had so far are, "He is great, he will be a superstar, he is amazinnnn."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":145twjyd said:
Scottemojo":145twjyd said:

Write down a list of corners Pete has had in Seattle that were under 5'11". It will be a short one. Pun intended.

kearly

Reaction score
Sherman and perhaps Browner started in the slot before moving up, if memory serves. IIRC, Seattle had to trade Kelly Jennings to get Browner a starting gig. Maxwell and Lane (both six foot plus) played a lot of slot corner last year.

Shortest corner Pete has acquired is Walter Thurmond, who is listed at 5'11".

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1d23m8xs said:
T-Sizzle":1d23m8xs said:
Scottemojo":1d23m8xs said:

Write down a list of corners Pete has had in Seattle that were under 5'11". It will be a short one. Pun intended.

Would you expect our slot corner to be long?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2oa9s52l said:
Scottemojo":2oa9s52l said:
T-Sizzle":2oa9s52l said:

Would you expect our slot corner to be long?

They have not been short for 3 years now. 5'11 is the shortest one. Pete experimented with slim, but traded him for Clinton Mcdonall before the season began, IIRC.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1fkltues said:
Sherman and perhaps Browner started in the slot before moving up, if memory serves. IIRC, Seattle had to trade Kelly Jennings to get Browner a starting gig. Maxwell and Lane (both six foot plus) played a lot of slot corner last year.

Shortest corner Pete has acquired is Walter Thurmond, who is listed at 5'11".

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure Browner was purely an outside CB since he took over WT3 in training camp and Sherman was also always an outside guy, too. IIRC, Sherman would come into the game in nickel situations rookie year and they would bump WT3 inside. (started doing that against the NY Giants, IIRC, when Trufant went on IR with a back injury. One games later WT3 broke his leg and opened the door for Sherm.)

jkitsune

Reaction score
seahawks875":3mepy0ih said:
The guy is a pot head, so does that mean you can't draft him? No, the guys a ball hawk and just makes plays, I would love the pick at 56
Except for the part where smoking pot means not seeing the field. Isn't it something absurd like four games per offense? If his head were on straight otherwise but I would be shocked if someone takes a shot on him in the second.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seahawks875":lcyg7sj2 said:
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

You won't change their mind. The majority of .net is put off by the thugs we bring into town. They want good guys, they are very much in the Ruskell mind set. Even last year guys were calling for Pete's head......people hated when he was hired.

That is part of why people wouldn't want him drafted.

The other part is he is not a 2nd round pick. I'd be cool with round 5 or later though.

jkitsune

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2igbdphw said:
seahawks875":2igbdphw said:
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

You won't change their mind. The majority of .net is put off by the thugs we bring into town. They want good guys, they are very much in the Ruskell mind set. Even last year guys were calling for Pete's head......people hated when he was hired.

The other part is he is not a 2nd round pick. I'd be cool with round 5 or later though.
This is one of the most sweeping misrepresentations of .net opinion I've seen in a while.

Red Beard

Reaction score
How hard is it to kick the weed long enough to have a career where you will make millions? The guy has proven that he is immature and can't be trusted. Yes, weed is nice, but if you gave me the option of earning millions of dollars in my career, I wouldn't hesitate @ kicking the weed. Have a great career, retire, THEN smoke. Makes sense to me.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I'd take him in the 4th or later. I think he's more of a free safety who can return punts and help with kick returns. He played some gunner on punt coverage but I don't think he has the strength to break the press. Just like I don't think he's strong enough to play corner. He's an instinctual player who does well at anticipating plays. As an open field tackler he is better than average. He will grab a body part and hold on for help to arrive, but he doesn't always bring guys down by himself. In single coverage he is pretty good but his athleticism holds him back from breaking up passes higher up in the air, and on down field routes he sometimes gives up too much ground. Maybe he was baiting the QB to throw his way? I could see that.

I'm not worried about his character really, especially for a 4th or 5th rounder. He smoked pot but he hasn't had issues with teammates, authority, or violent crimes. Just a pot head who's looking to break the habit. Maybe thats not a good thing for him in Seattle though right? Didn't you guys just legalize smoking weed?

I really could see him being a good free safety and punt returner. Put him back there with Harvin on kick returns and you have a double threat. I'd give him the opportunity to play corner but I don't see it working out and a position change to back up free safety after camp. Maragos is on the last year of his contract anyway so you could possibly get Tyrann for 4 years as cheap depth and see what happens.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jkitsune":5jcqt090 said:
T-Sizzle":5jcqt090 said:
seahawks875":5jcqt090 said:

This is one of the most sweeping misrepresentations of .net opinion I've seen in a while.

last year people were saying fire Pete, fire Bevel. Go look at the main forum and the past posts.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54803 <==== just one of the many from last year.

I remember the hords of people calling in local radio when PC was hired....9 out of 10 hated it. People here posting they hated it.

Its my opinion, but just pay attention next year. You will see posted in the main forum plenty.