Gonzaga, new #1 in the nation?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Radish":zuu6yihr said:
Good for them that they made the ranking but you will never convince me they have better team/players than the Indianas, Dukes, and all the others in the top 10.

This just insures they get a cupcake in the first round.

:les:
Pretty easy(and lazy) to sit back and predict an eventual loss in the tourney for any team seeing as only one team won't end with a loss and only 52% of number one seeds actually make the final four. No clear cut dominant team this year but a lot of good ones. I have no doubt you will never be convinced they have better players and or team even if they won the whole thing though. Some people are very determined to believe what they want. Fact is GU is a top 5 team this year and they have shown it on the court.

The Radish

Reaction score
Natethegreat":f4rto8ad said:
The Radish":f4rto8ad said:
Good for them that they made the ranking but you will never convince me they have better team/players than the Indianas, Dukes, and all the others in the top 10.

Pretty easy(and lazy) to sit back and predict an eventual loss in the tourney for any team seeing as only one team won't end with a loss and only 52% of number one seeds actually make the final four. No clear cut dominant team this year but a lot of good ones. I have no doubt you will never be convinced they have better players and or team even if they won the whole thing though. Some people are very determined to believe what they want. Fact is GU is a top 5 team this year and they have shown it on the court.

Gee, doesn't this describe your post exactly?

What do you care? This is a place of opinions and you seem to think yours is more important than mine. Is that about right?

You have the right to think and say what you want here. But that right is only predicated on the idea that you have to accept what others think and say too.

Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not make me wrong nor you right, just different.

Please take it that way and try to not have such a cow over a silly college game that means nothing in the game of life. Its merely entertainment and nothing else. Bob Knight figured that out years ago and look how well he did. And that was in a REAL league with very good teams in it so they had to play championship type teams sometimes twice a week.

All this excitement about winning every game in their weeny conference. Talk to me about UCLA winning 50 games in a row! Talk to me about Indiana going completely undefeated for an entire season! Talk to me about the hated UCLA winning more National Championships than the the Zags have played in. They have a wonderful 10-12 year record and have what appears to me a very good coach. But he/they will have to prove it in a real league where there are challanges every week, not 2-3 times a season. Do you think they could have gone undefeated in the SEC, or Big 10? See I don't. I think they have trouble making the show under those circumstances. And honestly I think if you looked hard you would too.

But I'll allow you to be a big Zags fan. I ask you allow me not to be and not act like its a crime against God.

So yes I have a lot of trouble with people ranking this team #1 in the country, seems outragous to me. But I did already say how great it is for them to get that ranking.

:roll:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Radish":uq6qk7vq said:
Natethegreat":uq6qk7vq said:
The Radish":uq6qk7vq said:

Gee, doesn't this describe your post exactly?

What do you care? This is a place of opinions and you seem to think yours is more important than mine. Is that about right?

You have the right to think and say what you want here. But that right is only predicated on the idea that you have to accept what others think and say too.

Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not make me wrong nor you right, just different.

Please take it that way and try to not have such a cow over a silly college game that means nothing in the game of life. Its merely entertainment and nothing else. Bob Knight figured that out years ago and look how well he did. And that was in a REAL league with very good teams in it so they had to play championship type teams sometimes twice a week.

All this excitement about winning every game in their weeny conference. Talk to me about UCLA winning 50 games in a row! Talk to me about Indiana going completely undefeated for an entire season! Talk to me about the hated UCLA winning more National Championships than the the Zags have played in. They have a wonderful 10-12 year record and have what appears to me a very good coach. But he/they will have to prove it in a real league where there are challanges every week, not 2-3 times a season. Do you think they could have gone undefeated in the SEC, or Big 10? See I don't. I think they have trouble making the show under those circumstances. And honestly I think if you looked hard you would too.

But I'll allow you to be a big Zags fan. I ask you allow me not to be and not act like its a crime against God.

So yes I have a lot of trouble with people ranking this team #1 in the country, seems outragous to me. But I did already say how great it is for them to get that ranking.

:roll:
LOl wow someone a little touchy today ehh? Overeact much? By the way the thread is about this years top teams not teams from decades ago and this year the Zags are a top 5 team even most ardent BCS lovers admit that. Clearly this topic touches a nerve with you for whatever reason.
You asked if I thought the Zags would go undefeated and the answer is no but neither did Indiana or Duke. Your statement that they would have trouble making the tourney is pretty laughable though. Especially considering they played 5 Big 12 teams(top teams not bottom dwellers) and won all of them.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":48ylyouf said:
hawksfansinceday1":48ylyouf said:
It's official, they're number one in the polls:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-0 ... -time.html

Sadly I think their guard play isn't good enough to get them past the Sweet 16. The tourney is often about guard play and they have quite average guards IMO. Do hope I'm wrong and they make that first ever Final Foiur appearance.

This. I can't stress this enough - they just don't have the look of a team that will go deep in the tournament this year. So far, I've watched them 3 times, the OkSU game, one I forget now and the most recent Santa Clara game. They deserve to be ranked #1 right now, but I'll be fairly shocked if they make it past the sweet 16.

At this point, I think we're going to be shocked at who *IS* actually in the sweet sixteen. Gonzaga might be the only team that's had consistent success.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3ldjnlmk said:
peachesenregalia":3ldjnlmk said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ldjnlmk said:
It's official, they're number one in the polls:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-0 ... -time.html

Sadly I think their guard play isn't good enough to get them past the Sweet 16. The tourney is often about guard play and they have quite average guards IMO. Do hope I'm wrong and they make that first ever Final Foiur appearance.

This. I can't stress this enough - they just don't have the look of a team that will go deep in the tournament this year. So far, I've watched them 3 times, the OkSU game, one I forget now and the most recent Santa Clara game. They deserve to be ranked #1 right now, but I'll be fairly shocked if they make it past the sweet 16.

At this point, I think we're going to be shocked at who *IS* actually in the sweet sixteen. Gonzaga might be the only team that's had consistent success.

the issue with their "consistent" success is that it comes against a notably weak schedule. Should they apologize for that? Absolutely not? And do they deserve to be #1 in the nation? Yep.

But Zags fans cant get defensive when the rest of the nation isnt buying the hype as them being an elite 8 team. The teams that have been ranked #1 have subsequently gone up against other top 10 teams almost immediately. Gonzaga doesnt have the problem/luxury.

Now, I think Gonzaga would win the Pac-12. I do. But I also think they will struggle to make it to the Elite 8 and it will end there. Wont be surprised if they make the Final Four (would enjoy it, much like Butler), but they havent really passed any tests to prove that sort of longevity, yet.

Thats whats interesting... they wont find a test until the tourney. so the question will remain that until they do.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2w34ff5c said:
Sarlacc83":2w34ff5c said:
peachesenregalia":2w34ff5c said:

the issue with their "consistent" success is that it comes against a notably weak schedule. Should they apologize for that? Absolutely not? And do they deserve to be #1 in the nation? Yep.

But Zags fans cant get defensive when the rest of the nation isnt buying the hype as them being an elite 8 team. The teams that have been ranked #1 have subsequently gone up against other top 10 teams almost immediately. Gonzaga doesnt have the problem/luxury.

Now, I think Gonzaga would win the Pac-12. I do. But I also think they will struggle to make it to the Elite 8 and it will end there. Wont be surprised if they make the Final Four (would enjoy it, much like Butler), but they havent really passed any tests to prove that sort of longevity, yet.

Thats whats interesting... they wont find a test until the tourney. so the question will remain that until they do.

First, I do agree that if Gonzaga was in the Big 10, they'd have more than 2 losses. I still think they'd be competitive with Indiana for the Big 10 title, though.

Moving on, it might be helpful to reference the numbers concerning my assertions. Here's some good resource on the team of Gonzaga without diving into the asinine notion that their conference makes them a better or worse team. (Memphis wasn't a crap team in 2008 even though they were/are in the Conference USA).

Gonzaga meets raw efficiency stats of a National Champion(Scroll to the bottom)if not some statistical trends:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... e-favorite

When compared to teams of years past using Ken Pomeroy rankings, they're right at the historic line of the 'final' 1 (i.e. the team ranked #4 on the 68 team curve.) in terms of its 'strength'.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... lity-cliff

What is important is that this might be one of the weakest fields we've seen in an NCAA tournament (yet) which will likely mean lots of upsets. It also means that Gonzaga may not be as tested this year as some might predict because the teams that are closer to the 2011 line are the ones likely to get knocked off in any given round.

Again, as I mentioned, I don't have a fan's skin in the outcome, since I agree they're unlikely candidates for the Final Four given the fact only one coach who didn't have a previous trip to the Elite Eight has done it, but I think a bow out before the Elite Eight, at least at this snapshot in time, is also unlikely given the level of play Gonzaga has produced and the level of quality it will see in the field. But again, I'll know more when we see those matchups because then I'll have better ideas of the probabilities of each matchup. (I seriously go through the process of handicapping every potential matchup.) If they get unlucky and have a team like Ohio State as the #4 in their region as in the latest ESPN bracketology (link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology), then I could see them losing in the Sweet Sixteen, too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":317e4914 said:
..........What is important is that this might be one of the weakest fields we've seen in an NCAA tournament (yet)...........
And this is the biggest thing that gives me hope that they will make the Final Four. Clearly there are no elite teams this season though now that Duke has Ryan Kelly back they may become that team.

GO ZAGS!!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
They're going to have a tough matchup in the sweet 16. Wisconsin will be tough. At least they get a shot a 2 top big-10 teams on the way to the final 4.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3cnhjt5d said:
Was that the guy that seemed furious over Gonzaga getting a #1 seed?
Yep and he went on and on and on and........about it. REALLY hope the Zags get to the Final Four and he chows on raw, shitty tasting crow.

GO ZAGS!!

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I just like the fact that Gonzaga rarely gets any top 100 players in the nation yet they consistently get to the tournament. They have never made a final four and just one elite eight but to be that consistent with overlooked players or other college transfers is amazing to me.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I might add that Douchebag Gottlieb stated that the way to beat Gonzaga was "out-physical them". Same EXACT thing he said last year before they went up against West Virginia a team coached by Bob Huggins who's teams are notoriously physical in their approach. Final score: Gonzaga 77, West Vagina 54. How'd that one work out for you Douchebag Gottlieb?

And now here you are spouting the same tired ol' bullshit again this year. Have you even watched the Zags play the last 2 years or do you just automatically denigrate them cuz you hate them for whatever reason? Let me explain something to you idiot, the way to beat Gonzaga is outplay their guards and hang with them in the paint. Geez, they should pay me the 6 figure salary you pull for being better at analyzing college hoops than you are......well, GU hoops anyway. You sir, are freaking moron!!

GO ZAGS!!

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
What I like about the bullying reference is most people dont understand the depth of the bench. The Zags have far more fouls to give than most of their opponents do. The East coast media can hate all they want. Just win baby!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Southern is shooting lights out this half, pretty hard to stop that

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Credit to Southern. That was a hell of a game. I can't believe they were a 16 seed. I think they could have taken down a 2 or 3 seed easy.